ATGATT and suitcases

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEM

Reaction score
I'm packing my gear to fly out to WCR on Thursday. I'm wondering if I should carry my helmet onboard the plane or pack it - wrapped in my MC jacket and pants - in a suitcase.

I can use a smaller, rolling duffel bag - in which everything would be very snug - or a regular large suitcase.

Who has experience with packing MC gear?

Can't help, other than to suggest that you go fully geared up, including helmet. And tell any other passengers that it's because you have a fear of flying.

HTH

Can't help, other than to suggest that you go fully geared up, including helmet. And tell any other passengers that it's because you have a fear of flying.
HTH
Um.....thanks, Rich.

You owe me a drink for that one :blink:

Have you called the airline and asked if you could carry it on? One assumes they'd let you store it in the overhead bin as it might not fit under the seat.

If you carry it on does that helop you pack "smaller" with the rest of your clothes and gear?

When my wife and I flew to Phoenix a few years back I put the helmets in a carry on bag and the gear in the suitcase. The helmets fit above the seats just fine, but now with so many people just doing the carry on thing I would try to board early to find space for you helmet bag. If you run out of room in your suit case you can always wear you riding boots under jeans to save space.

Sylvia and I fly frequently with our helmet bags as our carry-ons. One airport security guy dismantled most of the wires for the intercom in Sylvia's helmet one time - I guess he thought it was a bomb...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys. Even you, Rich, since I'm getting a beer out of you.

I'm going to put my lipstick and credit card in my helmet and call it my purse :D

See you on Thursday !

I may be exposing my ignorance of Canada here, but. if it was me, I think I'd Fed-X the gear rather than carry on or check it.

I may be exposing my ignorance of Canada here, but. if it was me, I think I'd Fed-X the gear rather than carry on or check it.
:lol: Good idea - especially since I have 2 connections to make after I leave Freddy Beach!

I'm learning to live on the edge ;)

On my recent trip to Alaska I carried my helmet on without more than just one quick question. I use the original box it came in and it fit under the seat on the way up and in the overhead on the way home. There was even another young rider who just had his helmet without bag or box stowed in the overhead.

A friend had her bike break down away from home and returned by commercial airline. Without suit cases of any kind she just wore her Roadcrafter and boots carrying her helmet. All went well at the airport until they spotted her heated jacket liner :huh: that got her some extra special attention.

MEM...travel naked...nobody'll notice what you carry on... :unsure:
Mike -- you can send ahead to the WCR venue to pay for a six pack for Mary Ellen. I'm thinking you need to buy nore than I do for my practical response. Not dissing your response, but just not joining it, 'ceuse that might get expensive.

I tried to take our helmets as carryon during a trip to Hawaii. One of the small connecting flight planes wouldn't fit the helmets in the overhead bin, and there wasn't an "under the seat in front of you" option because we were in the front. Stewardess tried to give me flac, until I put the helmet on and started acting scared to death of flying. She let me hold it then.

However, on the way back from Hawaii, I guess there were still enough lingering gas fumes in the helmet from sitting it on the tank that we set off the explosives detector, and got special attention from the TSA.

I tried to take our helmets as carryon during a trip to Hawaii. One of the small connecting flight planes wouldn't fit the helmets in the overhead bin, and there wasn't an "under the seat in front of you" option because we were in the front. Stewardess tried to give me flac, until I put the helmet on and started acting scared to death of flying. She let me hold it then.
However, on the way back from Hawaii, I guess there were still enough lingering gas fumes in the helmet from sitting it on the tank that we set off the explosives detector, and got special attention from the TSA.
SEE, Mary Ellen!

I give you good advice and you try to extort alcohol outta me. 'Tis YOU, I believe, who owes ME a beer. :p

I checked my helmet and gear on my last flight with it. It was just easier that way. Rolled my helmet up in my full suit, and jammed it all in one of my ski boot bags.

Everything arrived as it left. No problemo.

When I used to pack to work in Thailand (3 to 10 years ago), I would half fill my check-on rolling trunk with riding gear* and the rest was filled with my living essentials, suits, dress shoes, gifts etc. I always carried on board a bag to store in the overhead, a fresh set of clothes, toiletries, computer, contact info, files etc. When I arrived in country, I immediately went out and bought underwear, T-Shirts and shorts for casual wear, and sundries.

*Absolute MUST* to bring, included items such as; helmet, mesh jacket and pants, riding boots, gloves, tool kit with tire plugs and hand pump, ear plugs, battery flashlight, sunglasses, all were very high in priority.

Uhh, Passport? don't skimp out on that one!

HTH