ATGATT and suitcases

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After this (based on a true story), I'm not sure I trust baggage handlers with "delicate" items such as a helmet... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
After this (based on a true story), I'm not sure I trust baggage handlers with "delicate" items such as helmet... :blink:

Agreed!

:lol: Dave Carroll / Sons of Maxwell played at a friend's anniversary party a couple of weeks after that incident

Make sure you pack the rain gear MEM...it looks like we're in for liquid sunshine over the weekend. You bumming a bike from barb, or bumming some pillion time?

See you in a few days.

--G

I don't fly very often, but my motto is still "Don't check anything that you can't live without - for at least a week or two while it tours the world without you." What a bummer, in your case, if they were to misplace it for even 2-3 days... My vote is still overnight Fed-X. With what the airlines are charging for luggage, it probably won't even cost any more.

Make sure you pack the rain gear MEM...it looks like we're in for liquid sunshine over the weekend. You bumming a bike from barb, or bumming some pillion time?
See you in a few days.

--G
Pillion time. And I come with excellent references :rolleyes:

See you .... in 2 more sleeps! :D

See you in a few days.

--G
Pillion time. And I come with excellent references :rolleyes:
Assuming (did I REALLY say that?!? :D ) that your references were what we saw a while back, I have to agree! :lol:

I don't fly very often, but my motto is still "Don't check anything that you can't live without - for at least a week or two while it tours the world without you." What a bummer, in your case, if they were to misplace it for even 2-3 days... My vote is still overnight Fed-X. With what the airlines are charging for luggage, it probably won't even cost any more.
Agree. On one of my Alps tours the airline lost another rider's luggage containing all his gear. I loaned him an extra leather jacket I had brought. He had to buy a helmet & gloves. Took 5 days till his stuff caught up with him.

I took a trip out to Texas last October to do an extended ride with a buddy. I wore my boots and jacket, put my gloves in my helmet, and carried my helmet on using the supplied bag (Shoei). The helmet fit under nicely under the seat. I had no problems with airport security.

As somebody who rides an airplane seat more than my bike saddle these days, I have found a wide range of differences in airport security. I frequently carry small tools and supplies, and at some airports they'll tear my entire bag apart, while others will merely give it a once over. I have found the best way to deal with security is to be calm and professional, answer any questions they may have, and if you're carrying a "questionable" item, be prepared for a little extra scrutiny.

I took a trip out to Texas last October to do an extended ride with a buddy. I wore my boots and jacket, put my gloves in my helmet, and carried my helmet on using the supplied bag (Shoei). The helmet fit under nicely under the seat. I had no problems with airport security.
I"d need 2 seats to wear my big-ass suit on the plane!

367665507_pjJC3-M.jpg

AVGeek.....strictest security I've ever come across is in my own pokey little hometown airport. I had to remove boots and belt, had my carry-on 'swabbed' and was patted down (?!) for an overnight trip to NJ!

I"d need 2 seats to wear my big-ass suit on the plane!

367665507_pjJC3-M.jpg

AVGeek.....strictest security I've ever come across is in my own pokey little hometown airport. I had to remove boots and belt, had my carry-on 'swabbed' and was patted down (?!) for an overnight trip to NJ!
NOTE: MEM, I just faxed off a resume to Fredericton New Brunswick Airport for position of Security Agent in the Pat Down Department. They said I was in the running for this job. Hubba, hubba, hubba!

NOTE: MEM, I just faxed off a resume to Fredericton New Brunswick Airport for position of Security Agent in the Pat Down Department. They said I was in the running for this job. Hubba, hubba, hubba!
:rofl:

Yeah, but you're Irish. AND, apparently, not that discriminating, like ....(damn, I ferget....) the chap from the Bible Belt - the guy with internet ;) - so I'm not sure what kind of endorsement that is :D

Wish you were coming to WCR. One more sleep :yahoo:

I have my MC gear all packed; lipstick and credit card are in my helmet cum purse :rolleyes:

I have found the best way to deal with security is to be calm and professional, answer any questions they may have, and if you're carrying a "questionable" item, be prepared for a little extra scrutiny.
And be sure you take the batteries out before you leave... :D
I do that regularly now with the Bluetooth mouse I travel with (it's not a "travel" model, and has no power switch); it flashes the optical laser when its not connected. I didn't think about it until I was going through security in San Diego and had to deal with a panicky TSA agent...

For my fly-n-ride last month, I carried my helmet in my hand and had my mesh pants in my backpack (which I carried-on). I wore my mesh jacket and moto boots. All of my electronics (extra Scala Q2, cameras, GPS, laptop, extra wiring, terminals, fuses, etc for the bike) were in my backpack.

Rain-gear was too cumbersome, so I ended up checking it in a dry duffel that I got for $30 off of STP. It held all of my extra supplies and clothes.

web.jpg

Edit: I must add, I was flying on Continental. TSA didn't even bat an eye at me...though, I did get questioned by one TSA lady who was a HD rider. She was informating me of all the states that did not require a helmet.