Atlantic to Pacific & Beyond Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimO

Reaction score
I'm planning on taking an early April trip from Savannah,GA to San Diego and then Sacramento,CA. And then a return. My plan is to take I10 across the USA. I'll use KOA campgrounds and will be on a tight budget.

I'm doing this alone and am giving myself 4 weeks for the entire trip. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time and at this point in my life, it's now or never.

I'd appreciate any tips, warnings or advice from others who have done this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance.

I'm planning on taking an early April trip from Savannah,GA to San Diego and then Sacramento,CA.
There is a rather devoted group of CA riders who would be willing to share their favorite roqads along the coast.

Any specific plans between San Diego and Sacramento? I mean, besides droning up I-5!?!? One assumes you'd like to enjoy Hwy 1. :rolleyes:

Where will you be in the Sacramento area? There are a number of us here (I am in a suburb of Sac.) who would be delighted to share a treasured Sierra highway., though many of us are forced to actually work on weekdays....... :p

I'm planning on taking an early April trip from Savannah,GA to San Diego and then Sacramento,CA. And then a return. My plan is to take I10 across the USA. I'll use KOA campgrounds and will be on a tight budget.
I'm doing this alone and am giving myself 4 weeks for the entire trip. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time and at this point in my life, it's now or never.

I'd appreciate any tips, warnings or advice from others who have done this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance.
I can't speak for much more than Texas but at that time of the year, I would sure watch the weather as tornado activity in April and May can get pretty hairy...especially in central to west texas. Ride safe!

You should have a great trip and most definitely will meet a lot of new friends along the way.

If you come through the Sacramento area I for one can take off during the week, not like that other guy MM2 ( just kidding mm2)

Heck there might even be a stimulus package waiting for you to help you with your trip...

weekend rider :fans:

We'll have to drag you out to 1! It's a road that should not be missed B)

Having driven I10 all the way from end to end, I must say that it is a mind-numbing ride.

But once you get to Cali-motorcycle-heaven-fornia, it will have been worth the ride! Lots of great roads, scenery and folks to see and meet. I'll be happy to share some of Kern County's (Bakersfield and surrounding area) classic roads with you, as I have with others. PM me if interested and I look forward to it.

+1 on the Highway-1 up the CA coast. Try to ride it on a weekday or two. It's world-class!

PS - check out Pashnit - California Motorcycle Roads

Last edited by a moderator:
". . . many of us are forced to actually work on weekdays....... :p "

But not all. . . Make sure you post up along your route; I'm sure local riders will try to connect for some local bragging. If you don't bring a laptop along, just stop off at local libraries. And you betcha, the Sacramento area folks will show you around. Check out the FJR Assistance List and sign on. Print out a copy and bring it with you. I'd do as many state and national parks as I could too and skip a few KOAs. Have fun.

Thanks in advance.
ya welcome to stay at my home in Metairie, suburb just west of New Orleans. I-10 is literally blocks away from my home.

check out my New Orleans Ride to Eat Gathering March 20-23 if you like. see Clicky in my signature below.

I'm hoping to do the Run for the Wall from Rancho Cuckamonga (near Los Angeles) to Washington DC May 13-24

along their Southern Route

Run for the Wall

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

If this is your trip of a lifetime and you want to see the whole country, I would bypass interstates and ride state or better yet local roads out there to ride with the contours of the land and real people in places you never knew existed...instead of a 2000 mile long landing strip that is much less a view of America, but a view of shopping malls. Divert up north through northern AR and southern MO if you get a chance...it is an experience not to be missed on your trek through America. Head out through Colorado and down south and west through Canyon Country...haven't been there yet, but some say it's great. Also, watch yer time of year...might need to be a little later due to snow at the big mountain passes....not verybody has that great southern springtime weather.

However, if you are spending the lion's share of the time in Cali and are just blasting there and back, I take back what I said. The trip out out and back will still be mind numbing and soul sucking...no getting around that...but you will have made that choice to spend more time at your destination in Cali.

BTW, have fun camping...good for you...motorcycle camping can be alot of work and time after a long ride or wet day, but it can actually be a great part of the experience...especially if you mix it up with a cheap motel every third day or so.

One last thing...keep a log and take pictures of your trip. This will be an experience of a lifetime and you will be able to live this dream ride over again by rereading your log in the future. Even if you just put down the essential experiences of the day....it's more time spent but can be a great way to relive the journey....'cuz remember...it's the journey...not the destination.

my .02

+1 on the photos. After a while you almost have to force yourself to take them. But do. If you have a Photobucket or other account, every town library has a internet capable computer and you can upload your photos in case the camera gets lost or whatever.

Personally, I'm not that crazy about KOA. Heck, any more I'm not much for camping anyway. But it's still a big country and when I did camp I learned that I could usually find a quiet hidden place for the bike, me, and a little 1 person tent. If you need to take a dump, make sure to have a tool to bury it and the TP.

If I didn't see something I was comfortable with, I'd keep an eye out for remote corners of farms and knock on the farmer's door. The tough part is to stop riding well before dark. Most of them said OK after I learned how to approach them. What the farmers want to be sure of is that you're not going to burn their barn down, bother any animals, suddenly have a half-dozen friends show up and have a field party in their crops, or stick them with a mess. Simply say up front where the spot you saw is, that you know and understand these concerns, could share photos, and will be gone in the morning. Don't be surprised if they tell you not to have a fire, or if they tell you of another place that'll be OK. If so, you have no choice but to agree. If you ask if there's any chore they'd like done in trade, you may even get a meal out of it.

And enjoy the moment!

Bob

Unless you are really short on time, I would not ride the interstate. What a boring ride. Get off on state roads and enjoy not just the scenery but meeting the locals in gas stations and resturants. You will find its nice once in a while to stop at a red light just so you can put your feet down and rest your butt.

Just my .02

Mac

P.S. If you get yourself a copy of Woodalls , The Tenting Directory you will find a lot cheaper camping spots . They will also be quieter than the KOA.

https://www.historic66.com/oklahoma/ I was just recently conversing with Dr. Rich via Private Messages regarding Route 66.

Looking at AAA North American Road Atlas it would sure be my perogative to go from Hendersonville, NC and pick up I-40.

I-40, via I-15, basically intersects I-10 at Ontario, California; from there it's just a 2-hour blast down I-215 to San Diego.

The beauty of picking up I-40 at Knoxville, Tennessee: Is if you get sick of the super slab; you can parallel it on Route 66.

Really don't have that option on I-10, once you're locked on that boring mutha there aren't too many scenic parallel roads.

And if you are passing Texas (How can you miss Texas) try a route along Hill country. I was in Leaky, Texas last weekend along 337 and that road doesn't look like you are in Texas. Be careful though there are lots of blind turns on a cliff.

PM me if you want to stop by for dinner in North County San Diego (Encinitas). I'm right off the 5 freeway and La Costa Ave exit. There are plenty of ocean view camp grounds just south (Cardiff by the sea) and north (Carlsbad).

I am looking to do something similar to this later this year if I get my company sold. San Diego to Philadelphia...visit family and as many sites in between.

Mike

I doubt your coming this far north (Gunnison, CO) in April. I wouldn't :cold: But if you do, you just got yourself another free room offer.

Head out through Colorado and down south and west through Canyon Country...haven't been there yet
And Wheaty, when you finally do get around to that trip, let me know. I'm your huckleberry :yahoo: