Audiovox CC mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I have never installed an Audiovox cruise control and don't have the slightest idea on how to do it.

So as many of you know, just a week before successfully testing the breaking strength of my collarbone and banging up my treasured FJR :angry2: , I purchased a 2nd FJR. An 04 with ABS and only 6k miles to compliment my 90k non-ABS 04. Prophetic timing? I don't even want to think about it.

At any rate, the classified ad showed it to be highly farkled. (Among other things, full Ohlins front and rear). Also on the farkle list was an Audiovox cruise control. Cool! :yahoo: I am too lazy to install one myself, so this would be great! I finally would get to try one. I couldn't wait to get it in my hot little hands, errrr.......fubar'd swollen shoulder, and install one of Skyway's ultra schweet mounts for the control pad.

Well, I was in for a suprise. This particular FJR has one trick set-up for installing the Audiovox control pad. Unfortunately, I won't by needing the Welsh Wanker's aluminum CNC piece of art. :(

Ok, so enough lead up, without further adieu..............................

FJR2farkles007.jpg

FJR2farkles005.jpg

FJR2farkles001.jpg

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Pretty trick, huh? Looks like it came straight from the factory like that. For those of you with some knowledge, you have obviously noticed that the "On/Off" switch is missing. Well, the farklemaster who installed it just eliminated that switch and the Audiovox is always "ON" when the ignition is on. For the life of me, I can't think of any disadvantage to that set-up.

The only disadvantage I can find is that the switch is unlighted unlike the stock control pad. Don't know why that is, I haven't had a chance to ask the installer as of yet. Still, don't think it will take too long to memorize what the positions of the switch ar......***DING!*** Just did it! :lol:

Don't bother asking me any more questions, BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW!!!

The farklemaster who installed this is an old US Navy ET tech, and obviously has some skills and creativity. The astute among you probably also already noticed the heat-troller installed in the forward-top portion of the switch housing which is used to control the heated grips. A How-To located at fjr1300.info HERE

The farklemaster did the CC controller install on two FJRs. The one he used to own (he has gone to the dark side and now owns an BMW R1200GS), and mine, which used to belong to a close friend of his, and to which he did all the farkles.

Also for your viewing pleasure, here a some piccies of where he put the vacuum canister. I know this has been discussed at length previously but I have never seen this option before. It is visible if you look for it, but looks like a good option.

FJR2farkles027.jpg

FJR2farkles025.jpg

Hmm,

That is really nice!

Do you think he could install the cruise on my friends (Banzai)new 06AE?

Pretty sweet! I guess he was too busy farkling to ever ride it. I have a box af farkles to install, but whenever I get some "me" time, I jump on and practice my mantra (see sig)!

Also pretty sweet to find an '04 like that after wearing another one almost out (crash x 2). Some guys are shopping for their third bike already, ABS good! :thumbsup:

Nice looking bike!

Well, I was in for a suprise. This particular FJR has one trick set-up for installing the Audiovox control pad. Unfortunately, I won't by needing the Welsh Wanker's aluminum CNC piece of art. :(
So at what point did you assume that I would let you have one of my CC mounts? :****: :D

Nice write up, on something you know F/A about. :lol:

Well, I was giving FJR #2 some TLC the other day. Specifically, one of my maintenance evolutions was flushing the coolant. While the right side panel was off, I discovered something new. The placement of the Audiovox servo cannister. A special bracket was made for a very out of the way placement not like any other location I have seen.

cruise001.jpg

cruise002.jpg

Love the safety wire! I'm glad that he/you have gotten away with the unit that close to the headers and resting near the Radinator hoses. Electronics don't do well in high temps. and while header wrap is good it's still risky.

Your are a lucky guy :blink: (sometimes), it looks like Previous Owner has done a lot of nice work!

Edited: Hmm, doesn't look like header wrap, some type of aluminized foam insulation?

Last edited by a moderator:
SkooterG, thanks for sharing that! Very cool!!!!! I was just talking with Smitty about alternate mounting options for a servo on the AE and never thought to look down in front! WAY cool!

Now I wanna rip my AE apart and see if there's room for some HID ballasts AND the Audiovox servo down in the nose cone. :yahoo:

:clapping: Anyone been inside the front of an '06 to see if it can be done... under the curved radiator??? Hmmm?? :clapping:

I couldn't stand it. I was going to move the wires and servo cable to the right side of my '06 AE any way. When I got home last night, I pulled the seats and tank off, and opened the chin and unscrewed the triangular panel under the radiator.

I made a separate post of the whole process. This project is just entering the test phase. You may not want to try this yourself at anyone's home.

Test fit of the servo in the chin on the '06 was successful, but man, those pipes sure are close. Heat and the elements sure could be a factor.

You know I went ahead and pulled the plug on the servo, and pulled everything forward. Glad I didn't change the length on any of the wires because I needed about all there was. I left my connections for the brake light and such back in the back of the bike and tucked everything down the left side of the radiator. It was actually quite easy to move everything, and I didn't have to remove anything extra, not a letter panel or the side tupperware. Sweet.

The vacuum hose, wires and servo cable tucked through a hose right next to (under) the big radiator hose. That whole engine area on the '06 is pretty well blocked off, but there was an opening just large enough for my finger to go through. That was cool because I was able to use a clothes hangar as a fish tape and pull the servo wire plug through the hole longways. Nice. No cutting or splicing required.

I'm about half way through this re-install. I have the servo wrapped with heat resistant, flame retardant. metalized firewall material. I also fashioned a straight strip of aluminum to crew the servo (with the provided steel bracket) down to position with the triangular panel. I RTV'd the servo to weather seal the electronics. I'll probably mount an aux can down there too, just for good measure. Probably just zip tie it to the cable or something.

More info and pics to come.

Thanks again SkooterG and mystery farkler (previous owner/mechanic) for this great idea!!!!! I'll be very happy to put my AE computers back in their stock location. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

PS: Smitty and I have been considering an attempt to put the servo over the top of the engine, under the tank, just posterior to the steering head frame area. The '06 has a lot of room up there, but I think at the minimum you would have to reroute the two throttle cables to get them over the top of the large metal induction tube. Regrettably, those two cables go right through the center of the area where the servo might sit sideways. It would be tight, the measurements are VERY close. I'm not going to try it on my bike, the chin (nose cone) mounting idea is just too easy. However if the heat and or the elements become an issue, I might give it a go.

Geez....you had to show me that trick switch installation.....now I have to redo mine.....

That is sweet - can you find out where he got the switch?
I have had several requests from people for more info on that switch. I contacted the guilty party (the master farkler I bought the bike from) and despite repeated pleas, he has not posted. :angry2: So I got him on the phone the other day, was unrelentless, and got a few answers.

Of course the actual switch is the the the one that comes in the box, and that he modified. As for that nifty little bezel that goes around it and is used to mount it?

Me: Where did you get that?

Him: I made it.

Me: How the F*** did you make it?

Him: Don't you remember stupid, I am a Prototype Plastics Machinist at work.

Freaking bastard.

I know he has been asked to make some more by others, so all you need to bug him to make some more if would like some. BTW, this unamed individual happens to be the brand new rallymaster of next year's Cal24 rally. A mister Mark Crane. So go harass him.

Love the safety wire! I'm glad that he/you have gotten away with the unit that close to the headers and resting near the Radinator hoses. Electronics don't do well in high temps. and while header wrap is good it's still risky.
Your are a lucky guy :blink: (sometimes), it looks like Previous Owner has done a lot of nice work!

Edited: Hmm, doesn't look like header wrap, some type of aluminized foam insulation?

Yeah +1 on those safety wire pliers, still wish i had a set of those

BTW, this unamed individual happens to be the brand new rallymaster of next year's Cal24 rally. A mister Mark Crane. So go harass him.
Well Greg, I'm gonna have to come up with some special bonuses for you in the Cal next year...[insert evil rallymaster laugh] You might want to compare rally sheets with someone prior to the start... I've been working on that laugh BTW.
Sorry for the delay in posting. I seem to have quite a bit of iron in the fire right now and I plain forgot. So here are some answers to the most obvious questions:

On the switch pad: Actually, I've thought about coming up with a way to sell the modified Audiovox CC switch pad. The actual bezel manufacturing process is fairly easy but the PC board mod is pretty labor intensive. I've done several: For a coupla FJRs (mine and the one on Greg's) and a few R12GS's. If I get enough interest, I'll figure out my hours and come up with price.

On the CC servo mounting: I don't like losing underseat storage and I knew there had to be another place to mount the servo. The lower beak mounting has been tested for about 30k miles in hot and cold and rain. So far no problems. Insulation is important. I'd thought about wrapping the head pipes with header wrap but never got around to it.

On the vacuum tank for the CC. Highly recommended. While the FJR isn't as highly tuned as say an '07 R6, it still doesn't generate a lot of vacuum. The tank will improve the performance of the CC.

On the apparent lack of miles: When you've got 3 other bikes and one of them is a BMW R1200GS, there are going to be some low mile examples in the garage. My own FJR got about 10k in 9 months before I sold it to my BiL. Ask Greg and Art M. about their rides on my GS... The dark side beckons... :assassin:

The pair I have are about 30 years old. They aren't all that expensive (30 clam or so) and make a huge difference in the quality of your work. I couldn't live without 'em.

Thanks again SkooterG and mystery farkler (previous owner/mechanic) for this great idea!!!!! I'll be very happy to put my AE computers back in their stock location. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
PS: Smitty and I have been considering an attempt to put the servo over the top of the engine, under the tank, just posterior to the steering head frame area. The '06 has a lot of room up there, but I think at the minimum you would have to reroute the two throttle cables to get them over the top of the large metal induction tube. Regrettably, those two cables go right through the center of the area where the servo might sit sideways. It would be tight, the measurements are VERY close. I'm not going to try it on my bike, the chin (nose cone) mounting idea is just too easy. However if the heat and or the elements become an issue, I might give it a go.
You're quite welcome.

BTW, on the earlier bikes, removing the PAIR valves and the associated plumbing improves the airflow under the tank. I noticed a substantial difference in the heat coming off the tank when I yanked that stuff. It also gave me a place to mount my terminal block (on my bike, not the bike Greg bought).

BTW, this unamed individual happens to be the brand new rallymaster of next year's Cal24 rally. A mister Mark Crane. So go harass him.
Well Greg, I'm gonna have to come up with some special bonuses for you in the Cal next year...[insert evil rallymaster laugh] You might want to compare rally sheets with someone prior to the start... I've been working on that laugh BTW.
Sorry for the delay in posting. I seem to have quite a bit of iron in the fire right now and I plain forgot. So here are some answers to the most obvious questions:

On the switch pad: Actually, I've thought about coming up with a way to sell the modified Audiovox CC switch pad. The actual bezel manufacturing process is fairly easy but the PC board mod is pretty labor intensive. I've done several: For a coupla FJRs (mine and the one on Greg's) and a few R12GS's. If I get enough interest, I'll figure out my hours and come up with price.

On the CC servo mounting: I don't like losing underseat storage and I knew there had to be another place to mount the servo. The lower beak mounting has been tested for about 30k miles in hot and cold and rain. So far no problems. Insulation is important. I'd thought about wrapping the head pipes with header wrap but never got around to it.

On the vacuum tank for the CC. Highly recommended. While the FJR isn't as highly tuned as say an '07 R6, it still doesn't generate a lot of vacuum. The tank will improve the performance of the CC.

On the apparent lack of miles: When you've got 3 other bikes and one of them is a BMW R1200GS, there are going to be some low mile examples in the garage. My own FJR got about 10k in 9 months before I sold it to my BiL. Ask Greg and Art M. about their rides on my GS... The dark side beckons... :assassin:

The pair I have are about 30 years old. They aren't all that expensive (30 clam or so) and make a huge difference in the quality of your work. I couldn't live without 'em.

You're quite welcome.

BTW, on the earlier bikes, removing the PAIR valves and the associated plumbing improves the airflow under the tank. I noticed a substantial difference in the heat coming off the tank when I yanked that stuff. It also gave me a place to mount my terminal block (on my bike, not the bike Greg bought).

Please, don't let this die.

I'll pay anything (well almost, cheap would be good), for your PC board

mod. Or at least could we find out what needs to be done? I can make

a cover if I need to.

Didn't you guyz read the earlier post? All this and MORE will be stock on the 08's.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: <_< :unsure: :angry: :blink: :angry2:

Didn't you guyz read the earlier post? All this and MORE will be stock on the 08's.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: <_< :unsure: :angry: :blink: :angry2:
Yes but I don't think my wife wil let me take delivery of the '07 later this month AND put down a deposit for the claimed "new and improved" "08. If the rumor is true (and I'm not holding my breath), it will be a Europe only model for '08 and might show up in the US about 5 years later. I suppose she might let me upgrade when the 2013 model is announced. <_<

I'm keeping myself busy prioritizing the farkles while staring outside at all of the white stuff on the road and cars in the ditch. Right now I think sliders then heated grips then CC.

the main reason for an on/off and an over ride kill switch is that the audiovox units have had a few cases of "run away" throttle. they age, wear, fray, get wet and ZOOOOOOOM the throttle to WFO.