Audiovox Cruise Control. Sometimes it is a bad servo.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfulcher

Reaction score
These cruise controls were originally sold by Audiovox and are now sold by Murph’s Kits as the CCS100 Cruise control.

I have always been shy about blaming the servo for cruise control problems since an installation error is almost always the problem. However I recently encountered two of these units that were flaky and erratic and with both it was actually the servo, and only the servo, that was bad.

One unit, on a friend’s BMW R1100RS, had been getting less reliable and was holding speed poorly. It eventually failed completely. He repaired it by replacing only the servo and leaving the wiring and vacuum systems untouched.

The other unit was on my wife’s SV650. On the SV650 the cruise control was random, it initially worked but most of the time it did nothing even though all of the tests and diagnostic lights looked good. I could not find the problem but had checked the wiring and vacuum to the best of my ability. I was not looking forward to inspecting and testing of the servo cable and throttle cable connections because they were hard to access. So I took a gamble. I removed just the electronics and vacuum control components from a good servo. It looked like a high tech hockey puck. This was easy to do, 3 screws to remove and 4 tabs to release. I replaced the questionable components with the good high tech hockey puck. It took less than 30 minutes and I could do it now in less than 15 minutes. The only delicate aspect was keeping track of 3 small O-rings between the hockey puck and the cable/diaphragm end of the servo.

Instant success! :clapping: I repaired the bad cruise control in less than 30 minutes by replacing only the electro mechanical component.

The cruise control on my 07 is not holding speed as precisely as in the past. This is how my friend’s cruise started to fail. If I check all of my subsystems and everything looks good I will replace only the high tech hockey puck and see what happens. This will be a lot easier than replacing the whole cruise control.

I had one I put on a Miata some years ago, never worked, eventually gave up. Audiovox wouldn't hear of the possibility of the servo failing, it had to be something I did wrong. I wasn't going to buy another one to prove them wrong, so I gave up on the Miata.

Bought another one a few years later anyway, to put on the Feejer. worked great from day one, coming up on 5 years now.

Do you have a source for the servos? My CC worked great for about one season. Then went intermittent, and now, hasn't worked for the last 2 seasons. Electrically, everything checks out, no vacuum leaks - verified.

Last fall I took FJRed's AVCC apart and troubleshooting revealed that one of the vacuum solenoids was stuck. I pulled the solenoid apart and found that the plunger was cocked and jammed in the bore. After a quick R & R the solenoid works fine.