Audiovox Cruise-Not enough vacuum???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I went for a test cruise and figured something out I guess. I am still pulling vacuums off of all 4 intake boots with no check valves just splicing together. I was playing with the PPM switches. 2000 setting will not even set cruise at all, 4000 will set and operate normally but cannot set above 76 gps, 5000 operates flawlessly. It will set at 40 and hold smooth, accelerate very well, set and hold at 90 (didnt try much higher), resumes and accelerates very quickly back up to 90. Basically operates perfectly. Take that installation manual! Check valves still probably a good idea.
Comment & Question:

I've had my AVCC installed about 6 months and have had to "go back in" numerous times for numerous problems. End result is I pull from all 4 intakes, all with individual, Smitty-type, check values (read: good quality) and a reservoir. I wish I would've started at this point originally!! The cruise works very well and is very smooth at all speeds.

BUT all is not perfect, I'm now on my 3rd cannister. It doesn't pull moderate hills here in Pruinieville, even solo & unloaded. Started with a small fuel filter as a reservoir. Then used PVC with a single inlet. Now, larger PVC inline, with dual inlets - 1.5inches by about 5 inches (under the seat). No dice. Reading this (and many other posts), I suspect its a vacuum leak or my reservoir is just too small. Perhap I can piggyback the old PVC with the new. Running outta space, but the above location looks promising. Once reservoir use is determined, wondering if there is a minimum size and if a reservoir with a single inlet is OK??

TIA,

Tahoe

Last edited by a moderator:
So the manual confirms that 4000ppm is the only and suggested setting for a tach only signal, like I have? Hopefully check valves that I am waiting on will keep the vacuum hoses from bleeding into each other and let the canister fill up. So if I understand how this works, the system uses vacuum to initial lock the speed (i.e. it needs quite a bit of vacuum to pull the throttle to at 85mph setting). Then is does not use vacuum to hold the speed but just to accelerate. Am I right? If I hit the resume key at 50 it gets to 75 very quickly like it is not starving for vacuum.
your local Autozone sells check valves that will work just fine...I know...I've personally demonstrated them

(note: do not get the two way units as they go in the wrong direction from two nipples to one nipple...don't ask me how I know)

part # 47149

CLICKY HERE

hope this helps

I suspect its a vacuum leak or my reservoir is just too small. Perhap I can piggyback the old PVC with the new. Running outta space, but the above location looks promising. Once reservoir use is determined, wondering if there is a minimum size and if a reservoir with a single inlet is OK??
TIA,

Tahoe
I suspect you have leakage. I'm using a home-made PVC canister with a single barbed fitting. I'm also using the good Smitty approved check valves on each line connected to each throttle body. Using my Mighty Vac, I leak checked my system after install and found that the system leaked. The problem was the barbed fitting to PVC contact, which I fixed by using epoxy to seal it. My AVCC works great at highway speeds up to 90mph (most I've tried) and up mountain passes.

I like to keep things simple. I have one vaccuum line, one check valve, and one small automotive fuel filter inline as a reservoir. With this setup, I was able to maintain 85mph on Highway 17 through the mountains south of Flagstaff.
I followed that advice (just installed mine about a month ago) and with one vacuum line my cc will engage at under 25 m.p.h. and over 80mph so far (that's the range I've tried it). I made a pvc vacuum reservoir. The thing works like it's a factory job on an '09 Camry.... '08 Bike...

iPhoneUpload-2.jpg