audiovox downhill

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becoyote

Reaction score
First trip since install and it seems it won't hold speed going downhill. Everything else is great.

Any ideas?

If you are saying it speeds up going down hill...

1. your hand is not letting the throttle return, loosen your grip and let the throttle spring close the throttle

2. your throttle is sticking, not letting the throttle return

3. some hills are so steep that even with the throttle closed your speed will increase anyway

4. wildly unlikely, you have a vacuum leak, but his would come with a high, floating idle and poor engine performance

(lighten up your grip Francis :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean it completely disengages on any kind of downhill slope.

These were speeds around 70 mph give or take.

I mean it completely disengages on any kind of downhill slope.
These were speeds around 70 mph give or take.
Is the bike accelerating under gravity, getting faster just by being downhill? (Then at the bottom of the hill it doesn't kick back in?) That may fool the CC into thinking it's not in control. It'll do the same thing if it can't hold speed uphill, falls to far behind the set speed, it will disengage for safety's sake on the assumption that something's wrong.

Also, does it do the same if your hand is not on the grip? (Checking to see if you're not death-gripping the throttle.)

Last edited by a moderator:
That is what it is supposed to do to try to slow down, it is not able to apply the brakes so what else should it do. Guess I am not understanding what you are getting at either?

Backing off the throttle and completely disengaging are two different behaviors. If it's disengaging then it doesn't resume at the bottom of the hill. If it resumes, then it's working as designed.

Completely disengages with my hand off the throttle. Spooked me the first time it did it because the bike slowed down very quickly and to a speed well below where it was set.

I did not coast to the bottom of the long hill so I am not 100% sure that it wouldn't have re-engaged at a certain point but it dropped more than 10mph from where it was set before I would grab the throttle again.

This might be hard for me to re-create locally too because it is pretty flat here in Va. Beach.

I first assumed a vacuum leak or not enough vacuum. I ordered the higher quality check valves and planned to come off all 4 cylinders instead of just one.

I had been reading threads though that say holding speed has nothing to do with vacuum.

Now I am not sure I want to change the configuration.

Backing off the throttle and completely disengaging are two different behaviors. If it's disengaging then it doesn't resume at the bottom of the hill. If it resumes, then it's working as designed.

I have not experienced that. My vacuum is off all four with a vacuum can as well, over kill I'm sure but not problems so far.

Is DIP switch #7 set to OFF for ECU source?

If DIP #7 is ON it can cause problems holding with elevation changes, the problem is worse in warm weather and may not show up on the flats or in cold weather. This tends to only be an issue with 2nd generation FJRs

If DIP #7 is ON it can cause problems holding with elevation changes, the problem is worse in warm weather and may not show up on the flats or in cold weather. This tends to only be an issue with 2nd generation FJRs

I will check that out. It was hot and at elevation and on an 08

I just returned from a trio to Idaho and had some of the same problems, my cruise control would cut out and sometimes would not re-engage for a while. I ride an 07 FJR.

As I didn't install the cruise control would you tell me where I can find Dip switch no. 7 so I can check it.

Thanks

Mac

There is an access cover on the servo on the opposite end of the servo from the servo. The DIP switches are located under this access cover (held on by 2 small screws) where the wires exit the servo.

There is an access cover on the servo on the opposite end of the servo from the servo. The DIP switches are located under this access cover (held on by 2 small screws) where the wires exit the servo.
Thanks much, I set no. 7 to off today. I tried out the cruise but hard to tell if it fixed it here as it usually worked on the flat land, it was just when I got into the mountains that it started dropping out. Guess that calls for another trip out west this year to see if I have a fix. :rolleyes:

Thanks again

Mac

I haven't changes dip switch 7 yet, but did tidy up my vac. lines, added the quality check valves and came off all 4 ports instead of just one.

Does changing the dip switch mean changing where you are actually taking the signal from?

...Does changing the dip switch mean changing where you are actually taking the signal from?
No. Flipping the switch only changes the way the AVCC internally processes the signal. It changes the AVCC from expecting a complex point set ignition signal to expecting a cleaner digital ECU based signal.