Aug 24, 25 Weekend Ride Ideas WV

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tschutter

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have an open weekend coming up August 24 & 25. The plan is to start Friday afternoon (from Grand Rapids MI) and 'get there'. The riding will most likely happen on Saturday (24th). Sunday will be committed to getting home. Right now I'm thinking of riding in West VA. I'm looking for local intel on this area - which roads are best? Of course, if others are interested, company is appreciated. My initial web search turned up US 250 from Elkin, WV to Staunton, VA (2.5h).
Looking for accommodation ideas too - I can sleep in a tent or in a pinch - a hotel.
The ride from home to Elkins is about 8.5h so most of that will be slab. :(

My plans are coming together, others are welcome to join.
Friday W. MI to Elkins WV (Revelle's River Resort)
8:30 through: Coldwater, MI, Cleaveland, OH, Pittsburg PA 542mi
Saturday: Campsite to Harrisburg, VA via US33
Harrisburg VA to Staunton VA via I-81
Staunton VA to campsite via US250 235mi 5:20
These (according to google) are #1 & #2 rides in WV
Sunday to home
If you are interested in joining me, let me know. Revelle's River Resort have a couple tent sites still open for $40/night

Shiny and clean was a joke right? LOL

How's the trip going? 81 is gonna be boring highway. Check a map, might want to do 64 to 60 down 29 to 460. It's longer of course but more scenic and fun.

Last edited:
Relative to what I felt/looked like when I returned, yes a joke but also true.
Friday, trip to Elkin WV. Google had me arriving a 9pm an I tried to beat that. Two stops for fuel (12m & 14m) and I arrived at 8:59. Not bad in my estimation. When I got there, the office was still open and she showed me to my campsite and offered another available on a mound (about 10' up). When she said that I could park the bike up there (others had) I tried it, ran into a stump 80% up and tipped the bike over. In the process, I broke the right side back keeper down by the exhaust. This one you've all used many times as you slip the bag back on the bike, you slip the bag over this to keep it from moving laterally. Rats. PXL_20240824_220059724.jpg

Saturday I started my ride down (SE) on 33 an back on 250. This is a 250m loop. While going, I stopped anywhere I thought I could find a welder to put my broken piece back. I found that very few WV people work on Saturday (not bad, just not good for me). But I did talk to a machinist and he suggested zip ties. He offered a half dozen and I took them. Around noon, I gave up on looking for someone to fix it and continued on my tour. Saw a lot of sites like below:
PXL_20240824_194959647.jpgPXL_20240824_144557445.jpg

For the last 40m up 250, I had a group of 4 guys (2 bmr's & 2 Kaw C14s) turning and burning pas me. I was able to get on their tail and ride with them to Elkins. Pretty quick and it was great carving corners with them. No time for pictures here.

Last edited:
Got back to the campground around 5 and immediately started looking for a fix for my bag to get it home. With the campground maintenance guy, I was able to rig up this to keep the bag in the right place (or close). Spoiler alert, I did get home with this:
PXL_20240824_220032020.jpg

Sunday morning, I felt that I'd run my luck hard enough, so I headed for home without looking for any additional excitement. And when I got home, knowing that I was running my rear tire close to EOL, took this pic:
PXL_20240826_000245464.jpg
That Michelin Road 6 went 9500 miles. So for me, that is the end of the road for that tire. The front is pretty cupped and it vibrates the bike pretty badly. Ordered a pair this morning.
And just for completeness, here I am at the end - not so clean and shinny. After a day between 88-92, I was STINKY!
PXL_20240825_234136503.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, that rear tire didn't go 9500 miles, you just pushed it (and your luck) to that distance. LOL! But you made it home, relatively unscathed and that's what counts.
If you decide to replace that hanger I have one, just pay shipping.
Nice trip.

Thanks you Rocnsanman for the offer. I ordered a new stay ($100) on Monday so I should have waited before ordering it to see if I could get one here. Rats! I wanted to get the bike back to 100% as soon as possible.
Also on Monday, I ordered a new set of Michelin Road 6s from Dennis Kirk for $500. And as a note, instead of the rear spec 180/55ZR17, I got the 190/55ZR17 to attempt to get the spedo more accurate. A quick search online showed the 190 about 1.5mph faster than the 180 which is in the right direction but I don't think enough to make it accurate. In the end I think this is the last rear motorcycle tire I'm going to buy, thinking of going to the dark side once I wear this one out.
We should be back to full strength next week.

A few days ago, I replaced the the muffler stay (look mom, no ziptie). Last night, I rode down to my brothers and replaced the tires (Michelin Road 6). So we're back to full strength.
A side note, with the 190 profile tire on the back, the spedo was better. At a reading of 80, actual (google) speed of 78. So it's not perfect but closer.

Latest posts