AutoCom Active 7

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
I've got the AutoCom Active 7 system on the bike. Works great for intercom and audio playback. Looking to make longer trips and want the ability to talk w/Lorie while I'm riding and she's driving. For example, I rode the 110 mi from home to Waynesboro for last Saturday's meet and Lorie drove. We both rode the group ride and then she drove home and I rode. Less wear and tear on her and lets her enjoy the good parts of riding and not the drudgery. Anybody out there bought a radio for their AutoCom, and if so, which one and how'd it work (good, bad, indifferent)? Hoping to learn from others experience and make a sound decision.

Thanks - Jim.

If I had to do it all again I'd try a $100-for-two GMRS radio set from someone like Motorola. But... my friends and I all blew the budget and bought the Kenwood TK3101's that AutoCom recommends. Okay, they claim to be mil-spec ruggedized. And I notice CalTrans crews using them. But they still cost 4x the low end (difficult to find for <$200 each)!!

Sound quality is outstanding and their privacy hailing codes really work. I have two complaints. First, at that price you'd think they could do better than a 600 mA-Hr NiCd battery. It is barely enough for a typical 5 hour ride, if you don't talk a lot, but NiCd? Geez, ever heard of NiMH? I bought a 3rd party 1600-ish mA-hr battery on ebay for a song and got over it. The second complaint is the channel selector knob changes too easily (and feels cheap).

I just bought a 2x set of Cobra 10 mile GMRS/FRS radios (Model PR3550WX) from Wally world for $49.

I have yet to try them on the road, but they transmit and received properly and had good sound in an around-the-house test. Get the Motorola/Garmin/Cobra cable (can't remember the part number offhand but had "13" in it).

Avoid the Radio Shacks. They don't accept a PTT signal on the input and therefore won't transmit via the Active 7. You need a radio that will work with an external microphone/headset with PTT button. I knew the Cobras would work because the set came with a pair of headsets.

Oh, and they are not Mil-spec, but are "water resistant", have NOAA bands, come with AAA NiMH batteries (replaceable with alkalines in a pinch) and a base charger.

Will let you know when I hit the road with them!

-BD

Maybe one last question - according to the AutoCom booklet, I should be able to set the radio, plug it in and it will operate via VOX without a need for PTT. Do most/all of the GMRS radios come with the 7 pin (or whatever it is) hookup that mates w/the Autocom cable? And will they operate w/o a PTT?

Thanks guys.

Maybe one last question - according to the AutoCom booklet, I should be able to set the radio, plug it in and it will operate via VOX without a need for PTT. Do most/all of the GMRS radios come with the 7 pin (or whatever it is) hookup that mates w/the Autocom cable?  And will they operate w/o a PTT?Thanks guys.
I think that's the idea with the different cables that you buy from autocom. they have different cables for different radios so that you can plug them in...

i'm interested as well. i've got an active 7 that I love and it works great for two up riding but now that I bought another bike for the wife i'll probalby buy one of their new systems and get a set of radios.

for now I just hook my cell phone up to it and we talk via phone. :)

also, you can use the vox system, but the PTT is more reliable and also makes a difference if you are going to carry a passenger and ride in a group and want to talk to others. I can't remember the details but when I bought my system I remember buying the PTT just so that we could have privacy when talking between the two of us, and using the radio. I just never got around to buying a radio. :)

I do have a yaesu that I used for search and rescue stuff, so maybe I'll get alicense for it and use that to talk.

I too have an AutoCom system and I plan to add a two-way radio. My question is does the antenna (thus the radio) have to be hanging out in the air or can it be hidden under the seat or in a side/top case? I was thinking about the Kenwood TK3101 as well, but purchase the 12 volt power source adapter to get power from the bike and not use the batteries. By doing it this way I feel the radio becomes a permanent fixture on the bike - thus I would like to hide it. Any comments?

Bingo, on the special AutoCom cable for each brand (at least Motorola, Cobra, and Kenwood, maybe others?).

My friends and I all have our radios lying flat in our tankbags. My rubber ducky gets slightly bent. Our effective GMRS range is about 3/4 mile in flat terrain. I assume we'd get more range with a remote antenna or if we mounted them vertically.

Does Kenwood sell a 12v adapter (to the weird-@ss 7.4 V requirement)? I didn't think so. Anyway, my friends and I bought one from a Chinese seller on e-bay (shipped to us direct from China in about a week, built into what looks like an OEM battery shell). Mine died after a few uses (hence my buying a beefy battery) but my friends' adapters are still going strong. Kenwood offers a AA adapter but look at the fine print -- it demands alkaline voltage (not NiMH).

Okay, you reminded me of another annoying TK3101 feature, when your batteries are dying you can still receive for quite a while but if you try transmitting you get a loud beeping in your headset instead. Did I mention it is loud? Like deafeningly loud? Like you got a bee in your helmet and need-to-pull-over-right-now loud? And the VOX means you do get occasional triggering even when you don't intend it (e.g. strong side wind).

also, you can use the vox system, but the PTT is more reliable and also makes a difference if you are going to carry a passenger and ride in a group and want to talk to others. I can't remember the details but when I bought my system I remember buying the PTT just so that we could have privacy when talking between the two of us, and using the radio. I just never got around to buying a radio. :)
Dude, you can use a PTT button or you can use the VOX. You can even use them in combination if you want to. Autocom has the hardware.

The radio, if it is a Motorola or similar and has a single 3 conductor pin, as my Cobra does, must understand that when the SPEAKER and COMMON lines are closed, it will go to transmit mode. This can be accomplished by an actual button or by the Active-7 closing it for you when the VOX it tripped.

-BD

I skipped any sort of VOX and went to the PTT button option. I have a habit of talking to myself and singing and stuff. My riding buds don't need to hear that, really.

Ok, here are my "assumptions"

- Need to buy yet another friggin' AutoCom cable to connect any radio to the AutoCom connector

- If that's all I do, then the radio will operate via VOX and all I gotta do is talk (with the attendant time interval to activate the VOX and key the radio - kind of like operating via a re-trans, have to key and then wait a second or so)

- If that's all I do, when I (or Lorie is she's with me) talk we'll both activeate the radio and the intercom)

- One can get a PTT

- Can you get a PTT switch on a cable and connect it somewhere convenient (ie clutch side of hbar?)

- When pushed, does the PTT negate the VOX feature of the AutoCom, or is it still active?

I'm going to head down to Morton's BMW with these same questions tomorrow, but thought if anyone knew the answers it might help others with questions.

Thanks!

Jim

Ok, here are my "assumptions"- Need to buy yet another friggin' AutoCom cable to connect any radio to the AutoCom connector

- If that's all I do, then the radio will operate via VOX and all I gotta do is talk (with the attendant time interval to activate the VOX and key the radio - kind of like operating via a re-trans, have to key and then wait a second or so)

- If that's all I do, when I (or Lorie is she's with me) talk we'll both activeate the radio and the intercom)

- One can get a PTT

- Can you get a PTT switch on a cable and connect it somewhere convenient (ie clutch side of hbar?)

- When pushed, does the PTT negate the VOX feature of the AutoCom, or is it still active?

I'm going to head down to Morton's BMW with these same questions tomorrow, but thought if anyone knew the answers it might help others with questions.

Thanks!

Jim
Yes you need a cable, but not just any cable - it has to match the radio type and connector. If you look on the accessories page at the website you will see single pin three conductor, single pin four conductor, twin pin four conductor, etc.

Yes, all you gotta do is talk, assuming the VOX threshold is set up correctly.

Yes, whoever talks will trip the VOX and begin to transmit. Both will hear the side-tone.

PTT and VOX can be used in parallel - if either one is activated or both, the radio will transmit. Autocom makes a PTT cable kit that goes between the unit and the cable mentioned above.

Dude, why just you don't call them? Their tech support is good and friendly: 888-851-GEAR.

-BD

BD - thanks for the info. And because then I'd miss the opportunity to share info on the board with my peeps. If I called then I'd know, now that you posted, anyone who is interested will know. Thanks again.

If you get the Push-to Talk button from Autocom, you mount it to the left hand handle bar. It has a button you push to talk, a small 3 position toggle switch which allows the following: to the left is full open mike, center is push-to-talk--which is a nice red button above this switch, right is VOX mode. This is a slick system. All you need after this are the radios. Motorola 2-way FRS is what I use and Autocom has a cable for them. I also use a Cobra Handheld CB for the times I ride with the Goldwingers. Autocom has a cable for this also. I believe they have a great relationship....money....with the Kenwood folks. But, Autocom has recognized that not everyone is going to use the most expensive radio out there. So, they made a cable to use on almost every 2-way FRS radio out there. If you have questions give them a call. Autocom has great customer service department.

Just my two cents worth.

Went to Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg yesterday and talked with Seth - great, friendly dealership and Seth is always willing and able to answer questions.

Guess Autocom has recognized that not everyone is happy with the Kenwood so they are starting to offer Motorola thru AutoCom. I'm SURE you can go elsewhere and get the same radios for a significantly lower price.

I will most likely use the radio to talk with Lorie (in the car) on long trips to get to riding events, etc so I'm going to start with just buying a set of 2 FRS/GMRS radios and the cable to connect radio to AutoCom. That cable (most likely a "single pin") will cost ~$30. If I chose to go the PTT route, that cable and controller will cost ~$60.

Maybe one of our aviators out there can answer this. You need an $80 license to use the GMRS - I got my private pilots license in 1980 (haven't flown for years - wife, kids, etc) but did get an FCC license at that time - still good?? It was free so it's probably not!

I recently discussed the radio subject with the 'electrical gadjet guru' Kieth in OK, and here is what his feedback was.

If you have the Autocom Pro-7 Sport, he highly recommends the Kenwood FreeTalk XL (GMRS 2W) item#70 - The Pro-7 Sport has been built around this radio for bike to bike communications. Then you add Transceiver Interface: Kenwood FreeTalk XL Powered Item # 102P to provide 12v power to the radio via the Autocom, so you never have dead batteries to worry about.

He has reported to me that when this radio is connected to an external antenna, he has successfully communicated with his riding buddies at 7 miles. Nuff said.

This radio is big bucks at $239.99 list, but Kieth offers them for $190 and free shipping. B)

Keith is a good guy - I bought my Active 7 thru him and he was great to deal with. Lorie and I stopped by Best Buy today and saw a couple of Motorola radios for $82 and below. My challenge is that I plan to use them to talk with Lorie those times I ride and she drives. I.E, to the EOM this Sep. I'm not all that thrilled about shilling out yet another $200 or more to do it! I am concerned about battery life and will do some more research on that aspect. But for now, the pair for under $100 seems like the best deal for me.

JimLor:

The GMRS channels on the radios will not be used by you. You will use the FRS channells on the radios. So, you do not need a license to use these radios. If you are concerned about privacy to the point you need to protect it like the FBI, then you would need to get the license and use the GMRS channels (Even then, there are no guarantees no one is listening). In the FRS channels, there are security codes to go along with each channel. This will be enough to keep your conversations private because you are moving and getting away from people that MIGHT hear you.

Get the patch cord from Autocom and use the radios you may purchase. Also, you can get rechargable batteries for the radios. They last for approx. 6 to 7 hours without a lot of talk.

I don't know about you, but I have to stop more often than that to get my business back in order so I can ride another block...if you knows what I mean :blink:

Hope this helps :D