Autocom AVi

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, it's under the seat.

I had it at first in my tank bag. Worked fine there but it required a power disconnect. Not a big deal but too many wires for me.

Also freed up some bag space (due to wiring) in my small (like it that way ) tank bag.

I now have a single disconnect for my ear buds.

Good question. I'm trying to figure this out as well. I have my Autcomm currently hardwired on my VTX. Now that I have a FJR I want to be able to move it between the two. I don't always use or have a need for a tank bag so I'm not sure what I should do or what's the best method to do this.

Good question. I'm trying to figure this out as well. I have my Autcomm currently hardwired on my VTX. Now that I have a FJR I want to be able to move it between the two. I don't always use or have a need for a tank bag so I'm not sure what I should do or what's the best method to do this.
That was why I originally put my electronics in a tank bag, sharing between bikes. Now, I just like it that way.

Having a small tank bag on all the time gives me a place to put the digital camera, a pair of gloves, sunglasses and ear plugs. I wired my bag with a 3 socket cigarette lighter adapter that allows me to recharge my cell phone or MP3 player while on the road, along with powering my Starcom and GPS.

When I stop for the night it is pretty quick deal to detatch the GPS and MP3 player from the handlebars and stuff them in the tank bag to be removed from the bike for safekeeping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Securing your electronics for the night is a great reason for having everything in the bag.

Sharing between two bikes is even better but...

I have but one bike so that doesn't work for me. :(

Currently, I'm only using the Autocom for my GPS, so under the seat works.

If you fit into the scenarios above, the bag might be a better choice.

I had it at first in my tank bag. Worked fine there but it required a power disconnect. Not a big deal but too many wires for me.

Also freed up some bag space (due to wiring) in my small (like it that way ) tank bag.

+1 on under the seat. It's secure & once you have your settings adjusted there really is no need to readjust. The only way I would use a tank bag set up is if I was using the Autocom betwen 2 (or more?) bikes.

Here's a pic of mine mounted in the tailsection above my alarm:

AutocomPlacement.jpg

+1 on under the seat. It's secure & once you have your settings adjusted there really is no need to readjust. The only way I would use a tank bag set up is if I was using the Autocom betwen 2 (or more?) bikes.

Here's a pic of mine mounted in the tailsection above my alarm:

AutocomPlacement.jpg

Your under the seat installation is very clean! The tank bag idea is nice as well. I was checking out the RKA website and they have special bags with a RAM mount. Looked like it might be good for fast pass our toll road indicator in CA but looked crowded with a GPS and a phone as it appears to block the gauges. All this info is very helpful, thanks. Craig

On my Gen I, I velcro'd the Autocom in the tool tray under the pilot's seat. It is a more permanent mount as it is hard-wired to a fuse block, and the GPS/Comm wires run under the tank through the frame holes and up to the handlebars. I don't plan on moving them anytime soon. :)

Adjusting volume and squelch controls will take some time, but eventually you'll get them dialed-in and leave them alone.

If interested, I could take some pics and post them...if you'd like. (Just PM me)

My setup sounds like sport's - Autocomm under rider's seat, fuzeblock under passenger seat. wires run under tank to glovebox for MP3 (not using anymore, got a decent sized SD card for the Zumo) and to the handlebar for the Zumo. I had enlarged the hole in the rubber drain plug thing in the glove box and ran the stereo input wire through it.

My setup sounds like sport's - Autocomm under rider's seat, fuzeblock under passenger seat. wires run under tank to glovebox for MP3 (not using anymore, got a decent sized SD card for the Zumo) and to the handlebar for the Zumo. I had enlarged the hole in the rubber drain plug thing in the glove box and ran the stereo input wire through it.

Yup. Did the exact same thing last year. Now with the new GPS and sound card, and RAM mounting the walkie talkie to the handlebars, I removed the wires from the glovebox and routed them to the GPS & radio.

Mucho better!

So, SPORT and BrettB,

You both have your fuse blocks under the seat?

I'm getting ready to install one with all the associated gadgets and am looking at what the collective thought is for the best location of the fuseblock.

Here's one. Clicky

Here's another. Clicky Mine is placed here (not my install though) Autocom resides to the left or front of the block. I found that this works for me (sorry, no pics of my install)

Still another. Clicky Scroll down to the Blue Sea link in this post.

If you search, there are others. Somewhere out there is a super clean install (member does this for a living IIRC). where the tray was removed and everything wired perfect.

Good luck.

So, SPORT and BrettB,

I'm getting ready to install one with all the associated gadgets and am looking at what the collective thought is for the best location of the fuseblock.

Actually, my fuse block is under the right main fairing bolted to the frame. I bought it this way and thought it came standard, until Randy opened my eyes to the truth ;) It is a switched (to the key) fuse block. Because I did not install mine I don't think I can be of much help as to your particular install. After reviewing other installation (all of which were under the pillion seat), I find my fuse block location to be more convenient to me.

Oh, I'll have to take those pics tomorrow as my wife has me tied up for the evening :)

Clicky here for my pics

So, SPORT and BrettB,

I took a different approach: Opted Not to go the Blue Seas Route
I also went with a fused barrier strip, purchased from Radio Shack for just a few bucks. Although not where I mounted mine, the barrier strip can be vertically mounted to the aft wall of the glove box, ahead of the radiator cap, where it's not hard to get to and you don't have to snake wires to and from the tail.

Bob

Gotta shout out for the Centech AP2, sourced from Bike Effects. it is half the size of the Blue Sea, well constructed, and easy fit under the seat. I also bought two wire kits from Eastern Beaver: a wire loom containing three pairs of leads, for wiring up gadgets that sit on my N/Line shelf, and a relay kit for hooking up the Centech AP2 to the battery and tapping into the running lights. The centech has 5 pairs of switched inputs, and three pairs of unswitched. If Buy.com ever sends me my digital cam, I will post pics.

Yes, mine is under the passenger seat, searching for installs, it seemed a common/good place. Depending on what kind and where you are mounting powered accessories, you may find yourself running a few wires under the tank. I'm only powering the GPS to the front, the autocomm also under the seat is my only other current powered accessory. I am next going to add either heated grips (use the factory power source for that), or heated gloves (ok, and jacket liner too). If I go heated gear, the leads for that should come from near the seat too, so I still think the seat is a good place for the fuzeblock - unless you are running a lot of stuff and have one of those dashboard thingies.

Also, I went with this https://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=5, which is also smaller and way easier to wire then the Blue Sea, since it has the relay built in. I liked it a lot. Also, I picked up switched power from the taillight (peeled off some of the insulation and soldered a lead wire onto it, then taped the junction really good).