Autocom Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
Wife and I used the AutoCom Active 7 w/ER-6i earbuds, speakers, whatever they are for the first time last night. Gotta admit the wires were less of a problem than I thought they'd be. We ran the helmet lead inside our jackets and through the waist velcro fitting down to the bike lead. Left enough so I could turn my head without restriction and same for her - only had the bike lead come out from under the seat about 8" or so. Sound was surprisingly good. The mike was opening at about 45mph, so I need to increase the vox setting a little. Other than that it was great being able to talk back and forth. No music, but I ran a CD player the other night and it really sounded great - especially when I turned it to the deafen small children setting. We had to stop after about 45 min for Lorie to take the plugs out -they were starting to hurt her. She'll try the foam plugs next time and I'm going to call the company for samples of the smaller silicon and foam earplugs.

We both have Shoei RF 1000 helmets and I went the simple install route. Didn't install the speakers, so I just took out the cheek pad and taped the boom mike to the inside shell - stuck most of the wires into the opening for the chin strap. Used aluminum tape (for duct work) and it seems to be holding well and we can't feel any difference on our faces. Cost - well it ain't cheap: From Kieth (gives 15% off on AutoCom and great service) the AutoCom Active 7 and the headset/mike/lead for the pillion for $370; the ER-6i's for $200 and the AutoCom part 26 (need to plug in the ER-6i's) for $84 :blink: All in all, well worth the effort. I also bought a $25 CD player w/FM radio for my Stevie Ray Vaughn CDs when I ride alone!!

Have a similar setup with no complaints. Have also interfaced the Autocom with Radar and GPS. ER6s were my backup plan. I find them far superior to the helmet speakers. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
JimLor. How was the volume settings for you and the wife, as I understand the Active 7 has a common volume control for both headsets. Were there any problems, too loud for her, not loud enough?????

Don

I have neen thinking about trying an autocom active 7 I am using an audio source like an xm roady or sometimes I use a dell music box which is close to an apple ipod and then I have a communication radio, I have frs, a gmrs, a cb hand held, and a ham radio also hand held that all plug in using the same connections and so for the most part they all work the same it just depends on which radio I would like to use. most of the time I use the gmrs, then I use a Garmin Quest gps that will tell me where to go, as if that had not been done before....... ha ha ----- and finally I use a passport 8500 radar det.

I am using a helmet headset (speakers and mic) that is made by air rider, it has a coiled cord with 6 pin din plug (i think) that is like the head sets they use on goldwings.

I am using 2 audio boxes to get all of this audio into the helmet

one audio box

and the other box I use is

other box

the first box takes all the audio and puts stereo music in both speakers, the communication radio goes to left speaker and the gps goes to the right speaker, then the radar over rides everything and comes out right speaker.

the second box from kennedy takes care of the PTT circuit and provides the place I can plug my helmet in.

for the most part it all works pretty well but the communication part has never been all that great. at highway speed there is too much noise to use the mic and it is also very hard to hear the other bike trying to talk to me. also it seems there is some motor noise that causes a problem with higher rpm.

from what I have seen from people using autocom it sounds like they are pretty much big $$$ but they work and work well. I called a bike shop in Phoenix I believe that is a autocom dealer and he told me I need to order a autocom active 7 along with some cables and other pieces that will allow me to use use

gmrs

radar

xm radio

gps

and he says I can also do cell phone

460.00 shipped to my door

anyone have any words of wisdom or thoughts for me?

thanks Don

Last edited by a moderator: