AutoTrain

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defiant77

Reaction score
Good Morning FJR Pilots,

Anyone ever put their FJR on Amtrak? My 75 year old father in law wants to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway with me so we have decided to take the autotrain from Sanford FL to Lorton Va. This will make it a one way ride from the outskirts of DC back to the Tampa area.

Any problems with the way they handled your bike?

I didn't do it personally but a coworker used this service last year to go to Daytona. Admittedly this was a HD touring model but his group was very happy with the service and he's commented that he will use it again.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7521953@N04/6075923963/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7521953@N04/6076462500/

For some reason flickr has decided I no longer own my pictures. Sign in shows no pictures but a web

search shows my pictures.

Anyway, yes I have been on the auto train, but not with the FJR. They have some nice trailer/dolly

type things they put the bikes on. The guys did a good job strapping down our cruisers. We had zero

damage on the trip up or back. Don't leave anything like your helmet dangling from the bike. The

train moves quite a bit.

For us it was a great trip. I would do it again. You load up and travel during the night. Wake up in

the DC area. We rode across Virginia and enjoyed the Skyline Drive, BRP and other roads. Stayed in a

hundred year old cabin and took the train back home.

I have done long trips with just bikes, we have done trips with our toy hauler trailer and one trip

on the auto train. They all have pluses and minuses.

Auto train saves you time because you travel all night. Saves you from having to ride hot, rainy

interstates. Leaves you rested and ready to ride when you get to Virginia.

We have kicked around the idea of taking another one and going north.

Couple of suggestions.

Play around with dates. Cost seemed to change every time I selected a different date. Some days

are cheaper.

Spring for a roomette if you have the budget. Two comfortable seats facing each other, with small table between. Room to store a little gear and personal items. They fold it down into bunk beds while you

are at dinner.

You have no access to your bike while on the train. It's locked up in a different car. Take a small

bag onto the train.

Defiant if you have specific questions ask away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have taken it several times. They take exceptional care with your bike. You meet to load the bike around 2PM. Board the train at 4 or so. If you have a roomette, there is a wine and cheese tasting right away. Later a gourmet dinner and then a movie in the club car. You then try to sleep, a sleeping pill helps quite a bit here, wake up and take a shower and have breakfast. Then you are pulling into Lorton between 8 and 9 AM. Head west to Skyline Drive and then head south. When the Skyline Drive ends, you cross the street and are on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It ends around Cherokee NC. A fun area to explore.

We also took it north to Lorton and then Rt 15 north thru Gettysburg on to Lake Seneca in upstate NY near Watkins Glen. From there were skirted Lake Ontario and spent the night at Niagra Falls. From there we skirted Lake Erie around to Cleveland to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Then south thru Almish country to Columbus to visit the Iron Pony, one of the largest motorcycle gear stores in the world. Picture an old Walmart that they enlarged. Then back to DC for a day of sightseeing before the train back to Sanford.

It is a fantastic way to leave Florida and get to some great roads

I took the autotrain many years ago. Loaded a 2004 Kawasaki Concours. I'm in PA and wanted to visit my kids in south Florida. Rode to Lorton VA, loaded bike on two bike dolly at 2pm, watched them load the dolly onto the train, boarded at 4. 15 hours later we're pulling into Sanford Fl. Another 3 to 4 hour ride to the kids house in Delray. a week later I reversed the trip.

I highly recommend it. It's easy. Cost about $550 round trip in August (off season).