Aux light controlls.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
In anticipation of adding some Aux lighting, I'm thinking about the controls.

I certainly have room on a panel somewhere to mount some switches but I'd prefer to get them mounted on the handlebars.

So I guess what I'm looking for is a set of handlebar switch(es) thin enough to squeeze between the factory controls and the clutch lever (ideally), seems to me I have about 5/8ths of an inch of space there.

I'm thinking I'd ideally like a 3 position switch for off-oneLight-bothlights.

Any suggestions? Can I squeeze a 3 position toggle into the factory controls?

I know this problem has been solved already.

-MD

OK after doing some searching...

I think I have what I need: Eastern Beaver switch or slap a switch where the flash to pass goes.

md

I tried the Eastern Beaver, but needed a gnats ass more to make it fit on the left hand handle bar. I have a McCruise Control Mounted and that contributed to the problem. I think if I had been willing to dremel a wee bit of plastic that it would have worked. I eventually mounted on the cruise controller unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
<snipped before and after>

So I guess what I'm looking for is a set of handlebar switch(es) thin enough to squeeze between the factory controls and the clutch lever (ideally), seems to me I have about 5/8ths of an inch of space there.

I'm thinking I'd ideally like a 3 position switch for off-oneLight-bothlights.

Any suggestions? Can I squeeze a 3 position toggle into the factory controls?
I used a "project box" available online or your local Radio Crap store. On the switches, you might think about having on-off-on switch(s) for each aux light that activates the lights as - always on - off - high beam only. Also put a voltmeter somewhere you can see it.

I mounted my control box on the right brake reservoir with some aluminum angle; easy to do and removes in a couple of minutes to check fluid levels if need be...

A small box mounted above the clutch reservoir is a great option.

I took a couple of micro toggle switches and have them mounted on the rear face of the left side switch cluster - I threaded the wiring through the plastic tube along with the rest of what was there and put in an AMP disconnect so the cluster could be removed without cutting anything.

Works fine for my needs.

I tried the Eastern Beaver, but needed a gnats ass more to make it fit on the left hand handle bar. I have a Vista Cruise Control Mounted and that contributed to the problem. I think if I had been willing to dremel a wee bit of plastic that it would have worked. I eventually mounted on the cruise controller unit.
The Vista Cruise goes on the LEFT handlebar? I screwed up, I put mine on the right. :rolleyes:

protondecay: Do you wish to part with your eastern beaver switches?

bramfrank: Photos?

fljab: photos?

Yes, I plan on a on-off-on type situation. Always on, off - highbeam, though I was thinking I'd pretty much like always on the most, and would rather *maybe* be able to switch (just right light, or both lights on).

But maybe that's overkill or simply not needed.

I already have a ton of shit on the left, my XM puck is there but I could move that if needed. Radar detector is over the right brake reservoir, hence my desire to add more controls to the bars. Right now I'm targeting the space where the flash to pass button would be.

-MD

I have always wanted to do the 'flash to pass' location for aux lights. I even have the little microswitches that fit there. Just haven't gotten around to doing it.

I think that is the best location.

I tried the Eastern Beaver, but needed a gnats ass more to make it fit on the left hand handle bar. I have a Vista Cruise Control Mounted and that contributed to the problem. I think if I had been willing to dremel a wee bit of plastic that it would have worked. I eventually mounted on the cruise controller unit.
The Vista Cruise goes on the LEFT handlebar? I screwed up, I put mine on the right. :rolleyes:

Sorry, McCruise, which has a remote unit.

protondecay: Do you wish to part with your eastern beaver switches?

bramfrank: Photos?

fljab: photos?

Yes, I plan on a on-off-on type situation. Always on, off - highbeam, though I was thinking I'd pretty much like always on the most, and would rather *maybe* be able to switch (just right light, or both lights on).

But maybe that's overkill or simply not needed.

I already have a ton of shit on the left, my XM puck is there but I could move that if needed. Radar detector is over the right brake reservoir, hence my desire to add more controls to the bars. Right now I'm targeting the space where the flash to pass button would be.

-MD
Not yet, I've got a Super Tenere on order that I'm going to put some Hella 4000xi Rally lights on and hopefully use that switch. Eastern Beaver is easy to work with. He's in Japan, but ships really fast and relatively inexpensively. He's quick to reply to email inquiries as well.

This doesn't address the interest of the OP (who was looking for a three position switch), but it's a good example of using what you have lying around. I needed a switch for some of the Real Time Industries LED lights and remembered that I had an old PIAA switch somewhere. I made a little bracket from some small aluminum angle and mounted it on the bottom of the left control. It's just an on/off thing, but it does what I need.

IMG3391-XL.jpg