Auxiliary Light Help Needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobie

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my auxiliary lights, but need assistance. I currently have Hella FF50's, but want more light. I was looking at FF200's, or even PIAA 910's, but was concerned that I would be using too much power. At the most, I usually run a heated vest, Autocom with XM radio, grip heaters and sometimes a map light.

Do I need a Datel voltmeter to make sure? How do I know when I have reached the limits of the available power for accessories? Do I need to bite the bullet and spring for the HID's? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Do I need a Datel voltmeter to make sure?
Yes, definitely. No question.

How do I know when I have reached the limits of the available power for accessories?
Right around 13.2-13.4 volts is where the limit is. Short spurts below this is OK too, just don't dip into the 12's for long periods. The grips and vest will suck up all your available power. If you have the Widder vest, you will be better off then others. A heat-troller or other type of efficient thermostat will let you adjust them down to conserve power for lights.

Do I need to bite the bullet and spring for the HID's? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Even with PHID's, I still can't run grips and heated vest together with HID's. Not enough power for them all. I would say to wait for the high capacity alternator to come out, then you'll have no problems running everything you want with less expensive lights.

HIDs will definitely help in your power saving, but are not the cure all if you have several things going, especially in conjunction with electric heated clothing.

And if you are running lots of accessories, a voltmeter is almost a necessity. Now I have a Passport 8500 radar detector which has a built in voltmeter, so I have not yet felt the need for a Datel, nice farkle that it is.

I've been where you are. I've had the Hella FF50s and very happy for the bang for the buck. 55 watts each and good light for halogens. At about $40 for the set I couldn't go wrong.

With a Datel voltmeter I saw it drop from 14.2 to 13.8 volts at cruising RPMs (say above 3,500). I knew though from Warchild's comments that if I added something like a heated vest that that 13.8 would drop off to something closer or below 12.6 and I'd either get in a deficit and/or tapping out the alternator and shortening it's life.

As an aside of what voltages are right......We're using the voltmeters to guestimate load. With our highly calibrated non-NASA approved judgment meters.....14.2 really good, 13.8 OK, 13.2 ummmmmmm keep riding, 12.6 we're wearing the alternator out fast, 12.4 I have to turn stuff off to recharge the battery or things are going to start going dim soon.

I don't think changing to FF200 (halogen not HID) is going to help or hurt in the capacity department. The reflectors of the FF200 are probably a little bit better at light distribution being larger, but being larger means you're going to take a hit on aerodynamics. Same watts just more efficient and maybe a few more lumens. Are they worth the expense or are you 1/2 way to getting HID lights?

Going to the 910s (if you can find them) gives you two choices I believe. If also a 55 watt bulb you're probably in a similar place as the FF200, but without quite the aero hit. But, most often I hear of folks with the 910's using the 110 watt bulbs. Yes, way more light, but you're now more than tapped on the 490 watt capacity of the FJR alternator.

So, I guess I'm going a long ways to the next jump which is the same quandary you're having as all FJR owners. Are HID lights worth the expense?

I happen to score a set of Hella FF200 HID lights off of eBay for $315 so for me it was a no-brainer even if I sacrifice a bit of aerodynamics. My mother will be ecstatic I can only do 142 instead of 147 ;)

HIDs seem to triple the light output of halogen while dropping the watts to, I think, 38 watts each. Now you have capacity for a set of electrics. They became worth the price for me now that I put 19,000 miles in a year, 1 rally, and some long rides. Individual results may vary.

See my write-ups on FF50 and FF200's by Clicking Here

and the perennial page that I probably have plagerized everything from by Warchild by Clicking here