Avoid Atlanta ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go right through as long as it is not rush hours. HOV lanes are okay for motos. I have buzzed through there before during high traffic. It is really not that bad. Especially if u have to make time quickly. Leaving Nashville in the morning at 7 puts u there at 11. But remember Nashville is still in central and Atlanta is in eastern time zone.

Best advice I could offer would be to just plan on going straight thru town on I-75 and make use of the HOV lane. I would not even consider the I-285 bypass. There is nor reason for the additional mileage and/or risk. Would do your best to leave the Nashville area (where ever you stop) so you hit Atlanta right around noon. As a few others have mentioned, speed limits in Atlanta are only suggestions. Most locals (myself included) have learned to minimize spacing between vehicles. Some people are uncomfortable with this and feel like they are being tailed, but it really is nothing personal (again as long you keep up with the flow or move to the right and get out of the way). As long as you stay in the general flow of traffic the LEOs are considerate. If you out-pace the traffic, then you become easy targets. If you have experience with Chicago traffic, I'd bet you'll find our traffic similar. At least here the road surface is a little bit better.
rolleyes.gif

Again, timing is everything. Traffic volumes pick up on the south side of town and can start earlier than you think. Getting thru downtown between noon and 1 o'clock would be your best bet as far as Atlanta traffic is concerned. Not sure how that will play into your overall schedule for the day, but keep in mind the Macon area is not cake walk either. Once you get to the far side of Macon, then you should have smooth sailing.

MrZappo, I've lived in Atlanta for the past 15 years, and lived around here for most of my life. Good advice above. My 2 cents:
1) You just can't avoid this town. There are no viable alternate routes.

2) No shit about speeds, especially in the left two lanes. If traffic is moving, those lanes will be 80+ mph with 8-foot spacings. Only saving grace is that the drivers in those lanes are pretty skilled at slowing and stopping. Avail yourself of the HOV lane; you can create and sustain space ahead of you, but you'll still need to move along at 70 mph.

3) If you can come through after 7 pm or before 7 am, you'll find conditions much easier than at any other time of day. Professional truckers will stop outside of town rather than attempt to drive through between 3:30 and 7 pm. Friday afternoons are usually epic fails.

4) Straight through on I-75 is best, unless there's been an incident. Overhead message signs are good, and they'll keep you well-informed.

5) If you have the gonads to talk on the phone while riding, call 511, option 9, and talk to a live person at the GDOT traffic management center. They can give you up-to-the-moment information about crashes, construction, and advise you on whether the Downtown Connector (I-75/85) offers a better option than the Perimeter (I-285).

I really like the Downtown Connector late at night -- driving through the center of town is unbelievably pretty, and you pass right by the Holy Land of Georgia Tech.
Its a roll the dice place......an awful big city and suburbs.....really do enjoy going straight through the heart of the city.....and i hate cities........roll the dice!!!! you only live once......enjoy the ride!!!!!

Your from Chicago so just like any other city timing is critical. Locals speed so flow with traffic or move to slow lanes. Certain bike nights I have to cross town and almost walk my FJR to the interchange from GA285 to GA 400N. Passing through ATL before 3:30pm and after morning rush hour should be no issues or crack of dawn before 6:00am. I'm in Marietta and traveled to Valdosta for my Reserve duty monthly. I promise you by 4:00pm chaos on the roads if you not passed through. Try to refuel on outskirts of town. My Gen I FJR from Marietta, GA to Macon might burn about 1/4 to half tank without traffic. Nice rest area on bypass around Macon and places to refuel. After that it is a long stretch to Valdosta if taking 75. Which leaves only a 1/4 tank left upon reaching Valdosta. Just a heads up on my experience.

My wife and I have driven through Atlanta several times in our RV (never on a bike) and going straight through has always been best for us. As others have stated 285 is a nightmare and a big waste of time. But going straight through increases your pucker factor by 100.

My best advice if possible is to hit it as early in the morning or as late at night as possible. We have always tried to hit it on a Sunday morning between 4-6 in the morning. nice and easy.