Back rest for Russel Day-long saddle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kindofblue

Reaction score
Having just sold my 05 with a Russel saddle and put a deposit on an 06 AE, I'll probably be putting a Russel on the 06 this winter. I see on Russel's site they offer back rests. If you have a rider's back rest I'd be interested in learning whether they're really functional on a FJR.

On my 05 I had ml risers and liked the upright seating position. I'll probably put risers on the 06 too which could make it more likely that the back rest could do some good. But $225 is a lot to gamble on something that may or may not work. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Its adjustable.

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

Its adjustable.
Rogue, Thanks for the pics. By adjustable you mean you can tilt it fore and aft? And to my original question, does it support your back well?

If you look at the second pic between the backrest and seat you will see a round black knob and a silver thing behind it. The silver thing is a V shaped shim that moves up and down (the knob is the screw that locks it in place) and moves the backrest forward and backward.

I haven't used mine much, I got a Tanji fuel cell shortly after getting the seat and haven't had the rear seat back on since.

Ah, now I see. So if you're not using the rider backrest now, might you be interested in selling it?

I'll be out of town and probably away from email till Monday and can reply then if not sooner.

Ah, now I see. So if you're not using the rider backrest now, might you be interested in selling it?
I'll be out of town and probably away from email till Monday and can reply then if not sooner.

It fits into the rear seat so we would have to swap rear seats and would have to both have the same pattern on the seats. Not sure if I want to get rid of it, PM me if your interested and we can talk...

*Edit* Just re read and see you are getting an 06', in that case you would need to have the seat set up for a backrest and verify an 03'-05' backrest will fit an 06'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Russell with backrest option. It seems to give me good support. I can relax into the backrest for good support on lobg highway runs.

IMGP0133.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: