Back to the Future

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA1195

Reaction score
Hello from Alaska...I'm a returning member that in the last year went from an '06 FJR1300A to a Yamaha Stratoliner S, and now back to a n '07 FJR1300A...back to the future it seems again...same great ride as before and am enjoying the speed and confort...the Stratoliner is a fine cruiser and whsh I could have afforded to own both at the same time.

The '07 seems the same as my '06 except for the rear lift handle which appears to be easier to grab...maybe it's my imagination...this is a much smoother bike than the last, has no vibration issues yet, and clear mirrors up to twice the posted limit...I'll wait a few miles to play synch with the throttle bodies and plates...I'm in the middle of a brisk engine run-in and already the engine temps have declined to a steady 4 bars...time to change the oil and filter.

I did the Barbarian Mod and went +5 from the factory setting of +5 +18 +18 +21...quite different from my earlier ride but seems as smooth...will check performance as time goes by.

Anyway , just here to say hello and will be reading to catch up on the last year's topics.

Gary in Fairbanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Gary. Nice to see you come back to the loony bin here. Might consider a g2 ergo throttle tube as another fix. Have fun and ride safe.

Eric

Welcome to the forum Gary. Nice to see you come back to the loony bin here. Might consider a g2 ergo throttle tube as another fix. Have fun and ride safe.
Eric
Hi Eric and all...thanks for the welcome...I think I saw that throttle gizmo listed in another post I read last night ...is there a link to the vendor...I just haven't had time to read all the news yet...I remember a Forum member wrapping a piece of copper wire on the throttle body bellcrank last year...does it have the same effect?...on my last FJR I only uncorked the throttle return spring one turn and it was great to relieve the twist grip tension but did little for the abruptness...something I may do in a few hundred miles when I synch the bodies at idle and check the acellerate to cruise rpms synch...the FJR is a very different scooter and my 24th in 47 yrs...so far I'm very pleased again...someday they may even use a clearcoat over the paint to reduce scratching...I'll probably kick myself next year when it goes through the biennial revision that always seems to happen.

Thanks for any further info or links and I'll keep reading when I have time.

Gary in Fairbanks

Just a follow-up post to my earlier ramble as a returning owner/member...have 120 brisk Motoman mi now and changed the oil/filter/rear end lube...oil full of metal (AL/FE) as expected, magnet on the filter may have helped hold some there, rear end oil dark and magnetic plug covered with black JuJu paste...hope I didn't wait too long to get out the skunge...going back with Yamalube 20W-40 (because I have some) until the next change at 300 mi, then again at 600 when I'll do that service as usual...AL imbeding is my concern therefore the frequent changes...this bike's engine must have been built by a good tech who was recently laid as it has no hesitation, vibration, rough running or misbehavior from idle to redline...my first truly internal combustion electric motor in 24 scooters, and that's the truth...ran a check on the Barbarian mod at idle tonight, and the idle became unstable (rich stumble and sweet rich exhaust smell) at 1100 rpm with settings above +7 on each cylinder..worse at +9 than +7...next to play a bit more from the factory set at +5+18+18+21 a step at a time to see if can duplicate what I saw tonight and see if all cyl enrichment yields the same result...suppose I could take to a local IM inspection joint for a 1.5% sniff check and may do just that...found the G2 throttle info and will search here to find out more...it and the throttle spring not an issue with me after all these years of bad motorcycles, however...more later.

Gary in Fairbanks

Hi Eric and all...thanks for the welcome...I think I saw that throttle gizmo listed in another post I read last night ...is there a link to the vendor...I just haven't had time to read all the news yet...I remember a Forum member wrapping a piece of copper wire on the throttle body bellcrank last year...does it have the same effect?...on my last FJR I only uncorked the throttle return spring one turn and it was great to relieve the twist grip tension but did little for the abruptness...something I may do in a few hundred miles when I synch the bodies at idle and check the acellerate to cruise rpms synch...the FJR is a very different scooter and my 24th in 47 yrs...so far I'm very pleased again...someday they may even use a clearcoat over the paint to reduce scratching...I'll probably kick myself next year when it goes through the biennial revision that always seems to happen.

Thanks for any further info or links and I'll keep reading when I have time.

Gary in Fairbanks

Gary,

the G2 Throttle Tube is available from one of the forum vendors: Sportbikeeffects.com, Product ID: 40-400.

Use the Forum discout code: FJR1300. Cost is $59.95 before discount.

You will LOVE it.

Later,

Steve