BackOff XP and License plate LED install question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
Bought the BackOff XP and the dual LED license plate cover and planning to do the install this week on my 08. I plan on using the BackOff Unit only for the license plate LED's, not the brake light. A couple of questions I could not find answers for searching the forum:

1. Where is the best location to make the splice in the factory wiring to insert the BackOff unit? I've read a few posts that say if you do it at the tail light end, you get a wink not a blink. Is there a better place earlier in the harness?

2. Anyone know the right wire colors to look for for the brake wire and running light wire? My service manual is on order, and couldn't find a online reference.

Thanks for answers to this noob post.

I've always picked up those voltages just aft of the OEM wiring harness connector, where the tail light assembly plug meets the main wiring harness plug, under the seat. Never had any problems on the 05 with the BackOff tapped there.

I tied into the custom harness for my i500. Made for a mod that is easily removed in the future without modifying the original wiring harness. I used a voltage meter to find the correct wire. (Hint: it's the one with 12 volts when the brakes are applied and 0 volts when the brakes are released :p )

Thanks for the feedback. I tapped the wires in the area under the rear seat. Install took longer than most because I wanted it done without quick splicers. I used POSI LOCKS and some standard crimp bullets, so disconnect should be easy without having to cut anything.

I drilled a small hole right under the license plate light (centered in the middle of the two screws that hold the light on), then kept drilling through the plastic into the rear "cargo tray". Ran the two LED cables from the license plate frame through the holes (which I later put some silicone sealant in to keep water out). Blue wire is the running light, Yellow is the brake light. Ran the BackOFF XP into the LED only (just in case it fails, the stock brake lights won't fail too). Lots of shrink wrap and electrical tape later, it looks somewhat standard instead of ugly wires all over the place.

Works great, and a huge safety improvement over the stock lights!

Thanks for the feedback. I tapped the wires in the area under the rear seat. Install took longer than most because I wanted it done without quick splicers. I used POSI LOCKS and some standard crimp bullets, so disconnect should be easy without having to cut anything.
I drilled a small hole right under the license plate light (centered in the middle of the two screws that hold the light on), then kept drilling through the plastic into the rear "cargo tray". Ran the two LED cables from the license plate frame through the holes (which I later put some silicone sealant in to keep water out). Blue wire is the running light, Yellow is the brake light. Ran the BackOFF XP into the LED only (just in case it fails, the stock brake lights won't fail too). Lots of shrink wrap and electrical tape later, it looks somewhat standard instead of ugly wires all over the place.

Works great, and a huge safety improvement over the stock lights!
I am planning on installing one over the winter,did you get the one with the single or double LEDs. Do you have any pictures of it installed. with pictures of the place were you taped into. Dean :unsure:

I'll post pics as soon as I find my damn camera...

Got the dual LED, it works great at night. PM me if you have questions, once I figured out the wiring details in my head, it worked great. I did not, BTW, tap into the ground wire from the harness, but ran all the LED and XP ground wires into a screw on the rear which grounds to the frame.

It took a bit longer than most installs, mostly because I was slow and wanted to have it look nice.