Backrest / Duffle Rack Farkle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWILKIN650

Reaction score
I contracted GERAULD who posts on this site and the FJR OWNERS site to fab me a backrest adaptor for the KAW Concours late model backrest in black powdercoat rather than the uncoated aluminum adaptor that he had done before. I sent Gary dimensions and descriptions of what I wanted and it arrived proptly after several phone calls (at Gary's expense) to discuss the fabrication work. I had in mind using his backrest adaptor as a base for a duffle bag rack similar to those described and pictured in the FJROWNERS site. I wanted the flexibility of using just the backrest, just the duffle rack or both, and cobbled together a "system" to do that. It's not elegant, but I think it will get the job done. Below are pictures of the assembly in sequential order:

IMG_4340.jpg

Stock rack

IMG_4327.jpg

Gary's backrest adaptor mounted to front rail of stock rack and caphead machine screw fabbed by him with spacer

FJR1300%25

Side view of adaptor

IMG_4329.jpg

Top view of adaptor

IMG_4330.jpg

Kaw Concours backrest mounted on Gary's adaptor

IMG_4331.jpg

Angle view

IMG_4333.jpg

Shelf liner placed on top of Gary's rack in prep for duffle rack

Part 2 to follow.

Part 2 of 2:

IMG_4334.jpg

Duffle rack with 4 Bungie Buddies at corners, detail of clamps to stock rack side rails

IMG_4335.jpg

Closeup of clamps made from capscrews, metal stock and TYGON tubing

IMG_4336.jpg

Duffle rack mounted

IMG_4337.jpg

Backrest mounted with duffle rack

IMG_4339.jpg

Another view

IMG_4340.jpg

Back to stock rack; took about 3 minutes to dismount duffle rack and Gary's adaptor.

Total cost of Gary's adaptor, new KAW Concours backrest, duffle rack plate, Bungie Buddies and hardware was maybe $225, as I had the aluminium stock for the duffle rack. Ignore the mismatched fasteners, and the mockup of the bright aluminum duffle rack; I will anodize/powder coat/paint to suit once I try it out. Many thanks for the time Gary spent in getting the adaptor plate right; it seems plenty sturdy to me as a base for a backrest/duffle bag. For more load carrying capacity, he makes a variety of hell for stout tubular racks too. Highly recommended. BTW, I have real respect for those who can fab parts from scratch; my little "add on" brackets and such are really cobbled together and no reflection of the great work Gary did in fabbing the bracket. Gary's adaptor hooks over the front stock rack rail and doesn't seem to move much at all when secured by the stock rack bolt as the third mounting point.

Hope the photos are good enough to see the concept!

TWN, maybe but probably not. I placed the duffle rack about 1/16" back from the front edge of the backrest mount which does exend about 1/2" forward of the rail at the front of the stock rack. I can always insert a spacer to move the backrest forward a bit, but chose the current position to be as far back as possible. See photo of similar setup from a different angle. I haven't had it out yet with a pillion, so time will tell. Agree that pillion would tell you pretty quickly if there were any interference!

35248.jpg

I had Gary fabricate for me a combination back-rest support ( Corbin ) and expanded rack. I can attest that Gary does some of the most beautiful fabrication work you will ever see. Everybody who sees this piece wants one. He matched the color to my galaxy blue paint perfectly. My wife loves the positioning of the back-rest and the expanded rack area allows me to tote a whole lot more. Gary's a very nice guy who does simply superior fabrication work.

Gary.... the third picture down, of those on the above post, is the rack Gary made for me but mine also has an attachement for a backrest. Absolutely first rate stuff. Cost $225.00 ( not including backrest ).

I have made up another backrest bracket with which to mount a Concours backrest just like shown in the above images. Bracket is powdercoated satin black. Just $100 will deliver it to your address!

Send me a PM if interested.

Alternatively, I can make another one up and paint it to suit your model year for same $, just send me a note. Thanks! B)