Backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papaseven

Reaction score
For those of you that want a backrest but not a trunk here's my rendition. And painting the bags solved the problem of my wifes heels scuffing the paint. It's just Valspar premium flat black from lowes. Super durable and I can touch it up if it gets scuffed in minutes. Let it dry overnight and it's ready to go the next morning.

The backrest pad is from Harley for 100 bucks but almost the same can be bought from ebay for 40 bucks.

I made the bracket from 1/4 inch mild steel and painted it with a couple coats of primer and a few light coats of silver Duplicolor and a couple coats of clear. Now that she is happy with it I intend to have it powder coated. No welding but you need a jig saw and a grinder. or a machine shop can do the cutting and bending for about 50 bucks. The metal was what I had laying around but can be bought for 5 bucks at any scrap yard.

I hope it helps somebody.

Good riding

The Fat man!!

And if anybody is interested I will be glad to offer specific measurements and sources for hardware.

Your images must be hosted (up on the web) somewhere like photobucket.com (free). To post the pic; simply click the image icon (which is below the smiley icon), you will only see these selections when you are posting. Then, paste-in the URL link for the image in this box (Image Properties pop-up). Done.

I'm always interested to see what's out there, so post up dem pics!

Last edited by a moderator:
While we're waiting on pics (email them to me if you need and I'll post), I bought a CWI backrest without spacers and hardware from a gentleman here. The hardware for FJR install is two tall spacers, one short spacer, and 3 bolts. CWI will not sell me a new hardware pack. Since the install hardware for the SR357 rack is also two tall spacers, one short spacer, and 3 bolts, I'm hoping I might be able to use the SR357 hardware to make it work. We shall see.

Pics please!
punk.gif

Love the rhino linered bags.
Thanks. It was obvious my wife wasn't gonna cooperate with not kicking them to death every time she got on and off. Had to either buy a body shop or make sure she couldn't destroy them.