Backrests

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CG2

Reaction score
My back gets tired on long rides. I would like something that I could lean against when the opportunity exists. I see a company named Bakup offers an FJR backrest for stock seats. I am apprehensive about whether or not it would actually adjust far enough forward to do any good. I am 6'1" and very thin so it's not like I fill up the entire front seat. I don't want to change seats as I find the stock seat to be pretty comfortable for most riding. Any comments (helpful) or suggestions. Most specifically, does anyone have experience with the Bakup backrest?

Last edited by a moderator:
My back gets tired on long rides. I would like something that I could lean against when the opportunity exists. I see a company named Bakup offers an FJR backrest for stock seats. I am apprehensive about whether or not it would actually adjust far enough forward to do any good. I am 6'1" and very thin so it's not like I fill up the entire front seat. I don't want to change seats as I find the stock seat to be pretty comfortable for most riding. Any comments (helpful) or suggestions. Most specifically, does anyone have experience with the Bakup backrest?
Sounds like you're about my same dimensions. I'm between 6'1" and 6'2" and about 140lbs. Basically, I'm invisible when I turn sideways. Also, I'm perfectly happy with the stock seat and I get the same pain as you in the same place when I get lazy and slouch into cruiser mode.

Tip number 1: Do a search on this forum for "master yoda". It'll do wonders. Trust me.

Tip number 2: A tail bag mounted on the passenger seat can act as fine back rest for a fraction of the price, and some of them don't look half bad.

Sorry I don't have any experience with the Bakup.

BTW, your introductory thread is quite entertaining. Thanks for posting it.

CG2 said:
I am envious of my husband's backrest on his Road King. I am happy with my stock seat, so am interested in the Bakup backrest that can be fitted to ta stock FJR seat. However, I am very thin and wonder if the Bakup backrest can be adjusted far enough forward to be of any use. I would only use it when relaxing down a straightaway, I realize it would be worthless for real riding. Also, I ride with the seat in the high position if that makes any difference. Does anyone have any experience with the Bakup backrest?
Uhhhh -- please let me 'splain the rules here before Iggy does so in even more detail. You have asked very nearly the same question in each of your three four posts. In the second reply to your first post, madmike2 did the searching for you and provided a link with what you are looking for. Please click below link and follow his posted link rather than waste bandwidth with multiple postings on the same topic:

your answer

My back gets tired on long rides. I would like something that I could lean against when the opportunity exists. <snippage>

Any comments (helpful) or suggestions. Most specifically, does anyone have experience with the Bakup backrest?
I find that the "Master Yoda" riding position helps. Link to Master Yoda

Secondly, I constantly remind myself to arch my back. If I allow my lazy body to get into the "cruiser slouch" my lower back will ache. And yes, to answer you next question, I've been known to take "longer" rides.

And yes, to answer you next question, I've been known to take "longer" rides.
Bullshit! :p ;)
Yeah, you're right, Rich. Why, I only rode 40 miles today and only 370 miles over the weekend (Hadda visit Sis in San Jose). IIRC, Bluestreek, you and I didn't get to Radium Hot Springs, BC until the 3rd day of our vacation ride. :rolleyes:

:bleh:

I have been using the Back-A-Line belt for a couple of years now. It is a great product and helps tremendously with preventing lower back pain resulting from extended slab rides, it helps to prevent/minimize slouching. And I should know, because whilst I don't have any lower back problems, I am exiled in the butt-hole of the country aka South Flori-Duh which means the closest decent road is around 700 miles away. IMHO given it's design, it might also provide an additional benefit of acting like a kidney belt/small back protector in case of a get-off, since most "standard" bike jackets don't have a great deal of padding around the lower back area.

Give your back a break

And yes, to answer you next question, I've been known to take "longer" rides.
Bullshit! :p ;)
Yeah, you're right, Rich. Why, I only rode 40 miles today and only 370 miles over the weekend (Hadda visit Sis in San Jose). IIRC, Bluestreek, you and I didn't get to Radium Hot Springs, BC until the 3rd day of our vacation ride. :rolleyes:

:bleh:
hehehe -- you left out "much of it in the rain". I did just shy of 520 coming home Saturday -- up the coast via 101 and 1, wind blowing pretty hard. Shoulda been more enjoyable, and it wasn't the wind -- just in the wrong frame of mind under the circumstances.

[end hijack]

Sounds like you're about my same dimensions. I'm between 6'1" and 6'2" and about 140lbs. Basically, I'm invisible when I turn sideways. Also, I'm perfectly happy with the stock seat and I get the same pain as you in the same place when I get lazy and slouch into cruiser mode.

Tip number 1: Do a search on this forum for "master yoda". It'll do wonders. Trust me.

Tip number 2: A tail bag mounted on the passenger seat can act as fine back rest for a fraction of the price, and some of them don't look half bad.

Sorry I don't have any experience with the Bakup.

BTW, your introductory thread is quite entertaining. Thanks for posting it.
I'm new to this. Do I reply by just typing at the bottom? Sorry to be such a dummy, but I am old, tired, and technologically challenged.

Is any one tail bag preferred to others.

I'm new to this. Do I reply by just typing at the bottom? Sorry to be such a dummy, but I am old, tired, and technologically challenged.
Looks to me like you've got the quote and reply part down already -- on your first day.

As to the tailbag, none that there's consensus on that I can tell over the last 4 years here. I have a Cortech Sport Tail Bag in black that I put on the rear seat, sometimes instead of bringing the top box, sometimes in addition to the top box if I'm solo (I can put my tent inside and because the top is kinda flat, I can stack a sleeping bag and thermarest pad on top of it for those longer, camping included excursions). Works well for me, and it has two circumference zippers that allow it to expand about 5 inches in width from the zippered up dimensions. Here's a link to the manufacturer's site showing it:

Cortech Sport Tail Bag

Looks to me like you've got the quote and reply part down already -- on your first day.

As to the tailbag, none that there's consensus on that I can tell over the last 4 years here. I have a Cortech Sport Tail Bag in black that I put on the rear seat, sometimes instead of bringing the top box, sometimes in addition to the top box if I'm solo (I can put my tent inside and because the top is kinda flat, I can stack a sleeping bag and thermarest pad on top of it for those longer, camping included excursions). Works well for me, and it has two circumference zippers that allow it to expand about 5 inches in width from the zippered up dimensions. Here's a link to the manufacturer's site showing it:

Cortech Sport Tail Bag
Thanks.

I've only had this FJR for about 6 months and 3,700 miles. I don't find it exactly fun to ride. Fast, but not fun. In fact, I have it for sale, but don't know what I'd get as a replacement. After reading the Master Yoda info, I am open to the idea that the problem is me, not the bike. Maybe I will practice the Master Yoda stuff before selling the bike.

I occasionally ride MG's Road King, and while it is fun to ride, it shakes so bad on concrete freeways that I can't keep my bifocals in focus, and I feel more in control on a bike with my feet under me instead out front. Funny thing is, MG thinks my FJR shakes and has terrible wind noise. Of course, MG is all about looks and style.

Given the reparte and macho BS being slung about here, is this an adult male only site? Also, do women ride FJR's. I've only seen one woman ever on an FJR?

Given the reparte/BS being slung about here, are women allowed? Also, is an FJR an appropriate bike for a woman? This is currently the source of a family discussion and I am seeking informed opinions--not just abuse about me being a weenie--I already know I am.
Yes and it depends.

As to the first, EVERYONE needs to have a bit of a sense of humor, and the admins do a good job with those rules in keeping the place organized. It is, first and foremost, a great place to search for and find almost anything related to the FJR. Those rules keep it that way, even if some find disagreement in the strictness with which some rules are enforced. There is a lot of kidding, and if someone asks for it, a dogpile can ensue. But every dogpile recipient that showed a sense of humor has been welcomed back into the fold as if nothing ever happened -- we're all human and some of us even PWI (post while intoxicated) on occassion -- a dangerous habit to get into. ;)

BTW, we have a few women here (who shall go unnamed) who are a match for anyone in terms of cutting wit, going for the jugular and sense of humor.

As to the last, an FJR is appropriate to anyone who can handle it. It is tall for short people, male or female, but an experienced rider can get by without flat-footing a bike. It is a bit top heavy and especially with poor footing, is easy to drop at a stop or very low speed. I'm between 5'10" and 5'11" and I drop every bike I've owned (in the last 40+ years). I just consider it karmic insurance against get offs at any appreciable speed. It's not a dirt bike or dirt road bike, though a strong rider can take it down gravel roads and some uneven terrain. Overall, I think it's the best all round bike I've ever ridden or owned. Not the best at any one thing, really, but the best set of compromises at all. The question is whether that set of compromises works for you, not whether anyone else thinks it should or shouldn't.

Thanks.
I've only had this FJR for about 6 months and 3,700 miles. I don't find it exactly fun to ride. Fast, but not fun. In fact, I have it for sale, but don't know what I'd get as a replacement. After reading the Master Yoda info, I am open to the idea that the problem is me, not the bike. Maybe I will practice the Master Yoda stuff before selling the bike.

I occasionally ride MG's Road King, and while it is fun to ride, it shakes so bad on concrete freeways that I can't keep my bifocals in focus, and I feel more in control on a bike with my feet under me instead out front. Funny thing is, MG thinks my FJR shakes and has terrible wind noise. Of course, MG is all about looks and style.

Given the reparte and macho BS being slung about here, is this an adult male only site? Also, do women ride FJR's. I've only seen one woman ever on an FJR?
CG2 ~ First, welcome to the forum! You're doing very well figuring out the navigation of the board, what with correct quotes, etc... good on ya...

There are a number of active women riders on the board, and aboard FJRs across the country. Your statement about the "macho BS" here on this forum is telling in a number of ways. Yes, the membership is predominantly male, and sometimes we tend to get carried away and perhaps lose sight of the fact that there are women reading our posts. If you don't have a bit of a thick skin, and are offended by this, I apologize... the truth of the matter is, this is one of the best run boards on the net, and 95% of the posters would give you the shirt off their back when you need help. Do a Google search: Tyler site: fjrforum.com ... You'll see what I mean.

Now, let's see if we can help with your original question: From reading your other posts, I glean that you are female, about 6'1" in height and slender. You're not particularly enjoying your Feej, as it isn't fun for you to ride. It sounds as though a friend has a cruiser you ride and find fun, so I guess the first question would have to be: What type of riding do you enjoy most? Twisties, cruisin down the slab, short rides out to get a bite to eat, etc?? Or do you like to hop on the bike and ride 400 miles or more in a day? Lots of variables to consider. I guess it boils down to why you bought the Feej in the first place?

I'm guessing that at 6'1", inseam length isn't a problem for you, so I'm having to modify my response to the backrest/tank bag thoughts a bit. I personally am 5'11", but built like a chimpanzee with a long upper body and stubby little 28 1/2" inseam, so my outlook on solutions are a bit skewed!

You don't mention any modifications to the Feej, like bar risers/pull backs, seat improvements, etc... just that your back gets tired.

The Yoda position thing will help quite a bit if your fundamental position astride the bike is good: Arms comfortable while on the grips, no pain in the tailbone/glutes, etc. Just riding more to build up the tone in your back muscles helps a lot also.

The various aftermarket seat makers offer backrest options, but I'm not familiar with the one you've mentioned that claims to be usable with the factory stock seat.

A medium sized tail bag installed across the back seat can offer a suitable alternative backrest if adequately strapped down so it's stable. I have used that option on my old Kawasaki 750 for day trips with camping gear prior to getting my Feej. A vendor I recommend is NewEnough.com They often have some great buys available in their "Close Out" section.

I hope my comments have been a bit of a help, but most especially, I hope that you stick around, and give it enough time and reading so that you become aware of all the help available here. Hopefully, the locker room, "Good Ol Boy" mentality won't turn you off! :unsure:

Ride Safe!

Don

Hi There,

I have the backup backrest on my FJR07 AE and i love it. I understand your concern about the adjustment foreword

but let me assure you it will adjust more than far enough foreword. It's like a car seat in that sense.

If you would Like I'll take a few pics and add them to the post so you can see the seat and how the adjustment works.

Damon

Hi There,
I have the backup backrest on my FJR07 AE and i love it. I understand your concern about the adjustment foreword

but let me assure you it will adjust more than far enough foreword. It's like a car seat in that sense.

If you would Like I'll take a few pics and add them to the post so you can see the seat and how the adjustment works.

Damon

I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures. I've been considering the Backup myself.

Thanks.

CG2 ~ First, welcome to the forum! You're doing very well figuring out the navigation of the board, what with correct quotes, etc... good on ya...

There are a number of active women riders on the board, and aboard FJRs across the country. Your statement about the "macho BS" here on this forum is telling in a number of ways. Yes, the membership is predominantly male, and sometimes we tend to get carried away and perhaps lose sight of the fact that there are women reading our posts. If you don't have a bit of a thick skin, and are offended by this, I apologize... the truth of the matter is, this is one of the best run boards on the net, and 95% of the posters would give you the shirt off their back when you need help. Do a Google search: Tyler site: fjrforum.com ... You'll see what I mean.

Now, let's see if we can help with your original question: From reading your other posts, I glean that you are female, about 6'1" in height and slender. You're not particularly enjoying your Feej, as it isn't fun for you to ride. It sounds as though a friend has a cruiser you ride and find fun, so I guess the first question would have to be: What type of riding do you enjoy most? Twisties, cruisin down the slab, short rides out to get a bite to eat, etc?? Or do you like to hop on the bike and ride 400 miles or more in a day? Lots of variables to consider. I guess it boils down to why you bought the Feej in the first place?

I'm guessing that at 6'1", inseam length isn't a problem for you, so I'm having to modify my response to the backrest/tank bag thoughts a bit. I personally am 5'11", but built like a chimpanzee with a long upper body and stubby little 28 1/2" inseam, so my outlook on solutions are a bit skewed!

You don't mention any modifications to the Feej, like bar risers/pull backs, seat improvements, etc... just that your back gets tired.

The Yoda position thing will help quite a bit if your fundamental position astride the bike is good: Arms comfortable while on the grips, no pain in the tailbone/glutes, etc. Just riding more to build up the tone in your back muscles helps a lot also.

The various aftermarket seat makers offer backrest options, but I'm not familiar with the one you've mentioned that claims to be usable with the factory stock seat.

A medium sized tail bag installed across the back seat can offer a suitable alternative backrest if adequately strapped down so it's stable. I have used that option on my old Kawasaki 750 for day trips with camping gear prior to getting my Feej. A vendor I recommend is NewEnough.com They often have some great buys available in their "Close Out" section.

I hope my comments have been a bit of a help, but most especially, I hope that you stick around, and give it enough time and reading so that you become aware of all the help available here. Hopefully, the locker room, "Good Ol Boy" mentality won't turn you off! :unsure:

Ride Safe!

Don
Not a turn off at all--just a question.

Yeah, you are right, I am a female. The only other female I have ever seen on an FJR is my sister-in-law from whom I bought the bike. We are both tall with very long legs so we are never limited on bike options because of that. The thing is, women lack the upper body strength of men, so it is more tiring. Holding a heavy up with a cocked neck is hard work.

And...MG always promises we will stop and rest, but something always seem to come up to postpone it. He also thinks a "stop" happens when he slows the bike to the point the speedometer registers a "0". MG could get on The King and ride all day--stopping only to pee. He is the same about driving the boat--oblivious to the fact tha everyone else is hot, tired, sunburnt ,and was ready to haul out hours ago. He just loves internal combustion engines.

I had some guy come by this evening who is interested in buying the FJR, but I am beginning to think I am premature in deciding to sell, especially since I have no idea what I would get as a replacement.

Another question. I see you guys get together for organized rides, How does that work? Is everyone a Ricky Racer type? Do people ride single or are there some 2-up? Would MG and The King be welcome? We are supposed to press our wine grapes and get the juice in the barrel Oct. 17, but I think our winemaking partners could handle it without us if the weather was good and the NorCal trip seemed doable for me. Don't get me wrong, for an old gal, I can ride fine.

At last count, including you, I see 32 female members. 5 are pillions, 2 are relatives of owners who ride other bikes, at least 1 grandmother, one participated in the Iron Butt this year, one tours the country (Google: Agirl site:fjrforum.com).

So, yes, there are a number of lady members here.

Hi There,

Damon

I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures. I've been considering the Backup myself.
That would be great. Is there anything tricky I have to do to access the photos?

At last count, including you, I see 32 female members. 5 are pillions, 2 are relatives of owners who ride other bikes, at least 1 grandmother, one participated in the Iron Butt this year, one tours the country (Google: Agirl site:fjrforum.com).

So, yes, there are a number of lady members here.
Make that 2 grandmothers.