Bad Battery Or?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K_Flyer

Reaction score
Thought my battery was dead. Just get a buzzing sound when I tried to start. Replaced the battery after quite a hassle. (Another thread) Rode the bike 156 miles last Friday including four starts with no problem. Went to start the bike this morning to get a new rear tire. Same buzzing sound. ;-( Thought I somehow developed a loose connection. Took it all apart, made sure everything fit well. Same thing. Used a voltmeter on the battery screw terminals. Voltage drops to zero when I try to start. Bike on center stand and in 5th gear,push on the tire it move and you can hear the cylinders move. WTF?

Get it load tested. Might be a bad one. If it was just dropping to a low voltage (i.e. 9V or so), I might suggest looking at the starter solenoid and starter motor. Zero volts suggests essentially open although it might show 12+V as long as there is no draw.
Of course, you need to make sure that cables are securely connected but you are measuring on the actual terminals?
(I have seen a case where the vinyl cover from the positive cable got tucked between the cable and the terminal preventing solid contact.)

You're not having much luck lately!