Baker Air wings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rls

Reaction score
Does anyone have a photo of the Baker airwings mounts for a Gen 2 FJR? From Bakers website I cannot tell how they mount to the bike. Any info would be appreciated.

RIs,

I have them installed on my 2006 FJR 1300 AE... my bike has been at a dealer since December 17, 2008 so I can't run out and take a picture!

Any how, they are really nice and they do WORK!

If no one else has sent you a picture by the end of next week, please drop me a private message and I will shoot some pics and email them to you!

Best Regards,

Shane

P.S. The only reason I say next week is I am getting ready to go on vacation!

I have "hand wings" on mine. I made brackets that extend from my driving light mounts but I don't have any close-up photos. IIRC, Radman has them on his bike and he "may" have been one of the first to do so.

Does anyone have a photo of the Baker airwings mounts for a Gen 2 FJR? From Bakers website I cannot tell how they mount to the bike. Any info would be appreciated.
I have the Air Wings mounted below Garauld's light brackets on my '05. I now have Hella FF50's on top of the brackets and, as soon as warm weather arrives, will have to "figger out" how to re-mount the air wings to the Hella bracket bolt. The wings will again be mounted below the light brackets.

When I got the wings, I experimented w/ the wings above and below the light brackets. On top, the OEM FZ-1 mirror stalks limited the range of adjustment. On bottom, I had a full range of adjustment and, IMHO, the wings provided a stream of air into the cockpit around the tank and seemed to keep it cooler.

My hope in mounting the wings below the bracket was to get a stream of air flowing by the lower fairing, perhaps creating a lower pressure area, that would exhaust/dilute the engine heat more rapidly. How's that for a non-aeronautical engineer expectation? In any event, I'm kinda luke-warm on the effectiveness of the air wings...no pun intended! :rolleyes:

When I got the wings, I experimented w/ the wings above and below the light brackets. On top, the OEM FZ-1 mirror stalks limited the range of adjustment. On bottom, I had a full range of adjustment and, IMHO, the wings provided a stream of air into the cockpit around the tank and seemed to keep it cooler.
That's interesting, brazos. I have the air wings on top of Garauld's brackets, but I'm switching to FZ-1 mirrors. Sounds like I'll have to play around a bit.

Back to OP: This thread has several photos of the Baker Air Wings, but I don't think any of them are on a Gen II. You can, though, compare the Garauld light brackets to the Baker brackets. I think Garauld's solution looks a lot nicer and more stable.

That's interesting, brazos. I have the air wings on top of Garauld's brackets, but I'm switching to FZ-1 mirrors. Sounds like I'll have to play around a bit.
I mounted one of the early sets of air wings made specifically for the FJR. They're basically square. If yours have an angled top, you may have no interference w/ the FZ-1 mirror stalks.

I mounted one of the early sets of air wings made specifically for the FJR. They're basically square. If yours have an angled top, you may have no interference w/ the FZ-1 mirror stalks.
Actually, I have the Gold Wing hand wings. I think they're shorter than what Baker first made for the FJR. Maybe I'll be okay.

But that underneath mounting sounds like an interesting experiment anyway. It had never occurred to me. I think I'll play.

Actually, I have the Gold Wing hand wings. I think they're shorter than what Baker first made for the FJR. Maybe I'll be okay.

But that underneath mounting sounds like an interesting experiment anyway. It had never occurred to me. I think I'll play.
Here's my experience w/ "below" mounting...

When I first tried the "below" mount, the air wings stuck way out front and I didn't like the look. So, I swapped sides, left-to-right and right-to-left. This put the wings a little farther back and they look OK in that configuration.

I used a piece of flat aluminum bar stock (1/8" x 3/4" x 3 1/2"), drilled the appropriate holes to mount under the driving lights on one end and the hand-wings on the other. That way I could angle the bracket back and get the wings closer to the front of the fairing. I have my wings mounted with the angle "up"

When "closed" they are almost an extension of the fairing, deflecting the wind and causing a vortex effect bringing the engine heat into the cockpit. When "open" they bring fresh air into the cockpit, enough that my cool vest works very well, thank you.

I'll take some pictures and post them tomorrow.

popcorn.gif

Way Back when baker had no wings for my 2006 FJR so I made my own with honda units and my own mount....check them out. They work great hot or cold.
SANY0466.jpg
SANY0463.jpg

Way Back when baker had no wings for my 2006 FJR so I made my own with honda units and my own mount....check them out. They work great hot or cold.
SANY0466.jpg
SANY0463.jpg

OK, Does anyone know of a wing that would mount to the 1/4 turn screws that allow the lower cowls to be moved in or out? The wings would be about 3" or 4" wide by 12" or 14" high. I don't know, but I feel you could dump alot of cool air into the seat area on hot days. Any ideas?

Thanks, jevers P.S. Baker says they're coming out with some, but they don't know when.

I guess it's function over form in this case because those things are hideous and ruin the lines of the FJR. To each their own but yuck.

I guess it's function over form in this case because those things are hideous and ruin the lines of the FJR. To each their own but yuck.
RAVENRIDER,

I agree, each to his own, but do you think the hand wings look good? Just curious. jevers

Yeah, I'm chromin all sorts of shit just to get that looks factor back in range. ;)

RAVENRIDER,

I agree, each to his own, but do you think the hand wings look good? Just curious. jevers
I think the VStrom handguards look great on the FJR but not much else. And they work really well.

Hey all, I'm looking to add a cooling air deflector to my '07 FJR.

Are the Baker air wings the only option?

Are the Garauld brackets still available?

Thanks