Balaning tires for high speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royboy

Reaction score
For those of you who balance you own wheels, how do they do at speeds in excess of 90MPH. I bought a reputable balancer, did the deed, but I get vibration over 90 MPH. As most of you know running above 90 is very easy on these scooters, so I am wondering if I should give it another go, or is it impossible to get a balance that will hold up at high speeds short of a spin balance at a shop. I know, I should have asked before I bought the balancer. That would be like reading the instructions. Never as much fun.

I've had no problems and my 03 has seen 150+ a few times. I built my own balancer.

I use Marc Parnse sp? and have no problems up to the nether regions...

Altough I will admit I'm really careful during the balancing process and take too much time.

I use Marc Parnse sp? and have no problems up to the nether regions...
Parnes balancer here too....and can usually get down to 3 grams or so....which is usually better than shops with spin balacers. Only time it didn't work was with a Storm that was out-of-round and wouldn't balance at all.

I do a better job of balancing with my Parnes balancer than a shop does. No issues at speeds in excess of 150mph, not that I would know anything about that from personal experience. :)

Static balancer at home is just fine. (That's what the you see the tire companies doing at the race track) Works just fine. only takes a few minutes. ANd as others said, Marc-Paynes balancer and a couple of jack stands is all you need.

Royboy, which balancer is the "reputable balancer" you bought? Just curious.

Forget about Dyna Beads, they're snake oil of the worst sort.

I have two balancers, one I made myself from directions given in the March 2004 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News:

med_homebrew_tire_balancer.jpg

and the other I bought from Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wh...tand-98488.html

image_4126.jpg

I discovered the shaft included in the HF balancer had enough runout to affect balance, so I replaced it with a precision ground Thomson 1/2" shaft from McMaster-Carr. I can get tires balanced as precisely as I want (of course I cannot compensate for lateral imbalance) but I have never found any vibration at speeds well above 90.

You need to eliminate the tire as the cause. An out of round tire (or internally damaged tire) can cause vibratioin whether balanced or not.

You need to eliminate the tire as the cause. An out of round tire (or internally damaged tire) can cause vibratioin whether balanced or not.
Agreed

I had the Shinko Ravens ONCE and they were some vibey sumbitches up there...With a good balance.

I too built my own balancer and have always been able to get a good balance up to 150-sometimes a lot of fiddling is involved to getr it just right. One thing to watch out for is if you get bead lube in the tire when mounting- you'll be there all day trying to get it right as the balance point keeks changing as the stuff runs around the tire. Also , watching them balance tires in the pits at Loudon, they use a static balancer and it is done quickly.

Marc Parnes here. And the ONLY time I had a shop mount a tire, they did not balance it. Said they had no problems with the PR's being out of balance, ergo they did not balance them.

F*$#*&% morons.

Right on. Any of the balancers work good, whether HF or Parnes.... motorcycle tires just don't have the mass, so you are likely not to notice a little out of balance at speed.... take a dial indicator or piece of chalk held stationary and spin the wheel to see if it's out of round or has lateral runout. Also rebalance in case something wasn't done quite right in the first place.

+ 1 on static balance -- as done by m/c tire companies at major races -- simple and effective.

I was told by an automotive tire-shop guy that there's really no 'high speed balance' -- if there's any out-of-balance, it all shows up (with dynamic balancing) by, something-like?, 45 MPH (or, a similar relatively low speed).

(now, if you're runnin' car-tires on your FJR -- things could be different...? :unsure: )

Hey Thanks for all the feedback. Hope is reborn. I must have just screwed up the procedure. To answer one of the questions, it was a Marc Parns balancer that I was using. The tire is a Metzler. I will try again. :) r

Static--

It's what the Michelin man uses at BIR--they go faster than 150 through turn 1.

That's who I learned the technique from.

Shane

I use a home-made balancer and it works great with no vibration at high speeds. :yahoo:

I'd suggest double checking that the tire is properly seated. It's possible for the bead to be unevenly seated and yet the wheel to balance just fine. The vibration will occur due to the tire not being completely round (due to uneven bead seating). You can check for bead seating by looking at the line on the tire and comparing it to the wheel, making sure this relationship is equal all around both sides of the wheel. Usual cause of uneven-ness is insufficient lube during tire install.

And of course, you could have a bad tire. :angry: