Balaning tires for high speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped in at Aerostich a while back and was playing around with a wheel balancer they had in the display area and came across something interesting. If you are not careful about the orientation of the thumbscrews / setscrews on the cones it is possible to throw off the balance. The Aerostich balancer used thumbscrews and if you placed the thumbscrews incorrectly, the axle was out of balance before you even mounted the wheel.

If you are looking for a perfect job I would suggest checking the axle / cone assembly for balance and runout before mounting the wheel and then mark the cone / screw orientation to ensure that you are starting with a "true" axle. I would then just mount the rim without the tire and check the rim for lateral runout and if you really want to get anal use a dial indicator and check that the rim is actually round. You can also use this step to determine the true heavy spot of the rim to match up with the wieght indicator (red dot on a PR2) on the tire. By adding the above steps you can help eliminate introducing errors into the balance procedure. I'm sure others are well aware of this but I have not seen it mentioned elsewhere so I thought it might be worthwhile to post this for newbees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay away from dyna beads! When I did my friends front tire they were all stuck to the inside of the tire. Whoever did them before me must have had moisture in his air line or something.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Run it up to speed on the center stand to check the rear for balance. Watch the license fender area for shaking. I still do this when needed. I grew up spin balancing tires still mounted on cars with drum brakes(before disc brakes and posi rearends). Shops used an electric motor unit to spin the tire up while watching for car parts to shake. A pancake balancing unit mounted where the hub cap went, gave the weight location and amount to be added.

First off, it's my opinion that nothing should replace a proper static or dynamic balancing job.

That being said..

I mounted a new PR2 on the front and the car tire [patoie!] on the bike before our big trip in Sept. Buddy who mounted them doesn't have a balancer so I ran over and bought a small pack of Dynabeads for the front and a 3oz packet of them for the rear.

They (Dynabeads) do work. After a stop and pulling out on the hwy you get a little vibration for a few moments when getting up to speed. But after that it would smooth right out. Same thing when wicking it up from hwy speeds to something far beyond :)cough: Hwy 14 coming into Cody!) . A little vibration then it would smooth out again.

After I returned the car tire couldn't be disposed of fast enough. I had a fresh Michelin BSpec so we put that on. I reused the about an ounce of the dynabeads retrieved from back tire in the new tire. Exactly the same affect was noticed. Some initial vibration that immediately smoothed out. The front PR2 exhibited no cupping or severe wear at all after 10000 miles and that after running in temps around 100F for over a week at high speed. The front is still on the bike and has a few 1000 left in it. It squeezes my grapes a bit to have a fresh PR2 on the back and the worn one on the front, so I'll change the front one out in the spring. Otherwise, its fine.