Banff, here I come!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Reaction score
Looks like I can get away for a week in late September. :clapping:

Going to head up to the Banff / Jasper Park area, etc.

No route plan so far. Just going to head northest.

That's the way I like it, uh huh....... :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

Takin' the 'Busa for a litle road trip, are we...? ;) From Monroe to Banff, at WOT, I'd say you'll be there in about 2 hours, 36 minutes. Just toss your passport to the Mounties at the border, they'll hold it until you fly back... :D

Hey Stephen,

Living in Calgary, I, like many Calgarians, take Banff and the whole Parks area for granted - usually just riding through to get somewhere else. But it is beautiful country. Be sure to take the Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper - spectacular mountain and glacier scenery.

If your route has you coming from the west say through Revelstoke or Golden on the TransCanada Highway #1, be aware of tons of construction for miles between Golden and Banff. Sometimes with traffic coming to a complete stop for 30 minutes or more.

Don't let that stop you though - I'm just warning you!

ian

Thanks, Ian. I was kinda thinking I'd head east to ????, then north-ish to the Banff area, then west-ish.

Takin' the 'Busa for a litle road trip, are we...? ;) From Monroe to Banff, at WOT, I'd say you'll be there in about 2 hours, 36 minutes. Just toss your passport to the Mounties at the border, they'll hold it until you fly back... :D
'Busa????

It's a ZX-14!

Kinda the same, but not. :p

This trip will be on the FJR. Probably a budget trip with some camping along the way.

I like to take my vacations during the week... after school starts.

'Busa????

It's a ZX-14!

Kinda the same, but not. :p

This trip will be on the FJR. Probably a budget trip with some camping along the way.

I like to take my vacations during the week... after school starts.
Sorry Stephen. I naturally assumed you had gone with the best of the uber-bikes there. My bad. Still, the ZX-14 is nice. It got me back into riding after 10 years away, and I guess with the right paint job, it can look kinda flashy. Good call on taking the FJR to Canada. The Poor '14 would never reach escape velocity to enable you to make that hyper-flight I outlined earlier.

*whisltes*

Thanks, Ian. I was kinda thinking I'd head east to ????, then north-ish to the Banff area, then west-ish.
You could come up through Cranbrook in the south - take the 93/95 north through Invermere and Radium, then 93 north to Banff.

Or cross south of Creston and go up through Kaslo/New Denver/Nakusp to Revelstoke then go east to Banff. Awesome roads - I just came through there weekend before last. Not good for making up time though. Check out Destination Highways for info on the roads in this area.

Or cross the border near Waterton Lake Park and come through Pincher Creek and then north on Highway 22 - the Cowboy Trail to Longview and then go over the Highwood Pass on Hwy 40 though Kananaskis Prov Park to Highway 1 just east of Canmore. That's a pretty good ride - done the Highwood Pass loop a few times.

Unless you like superslabs and dodging big rigs, and need to make up time, avoid Highway 2 south of Calgary - it's just a plain old insterstate-like highway.

Hope this helps ...

ian

Thanks, Ian. I've been up through Kaslo last year. Beautiful country! Great people! See here

I'm going to purchase the BC DH book.

Thanks.

After CFR last year I headed up to Valemount from Nakusp and spent the night. I then headed down thru Mt Robson park to Jasper then down to Banff Park. Checked out Lk Louise then crossed 93 over to Radium Hot springs thru Kootenay Park. Then to Big fork Mt it was a 550 mile day never got above Fifty Degrees rained like crazy after I left Lk Louise all the way to Roosville where I crossed the boarder.

I have to say that was one of my best days I have ever had on the bike, the parks are beyond words. I don't know how anyone can take them for granted.

A side note to that is I remember the ride after leaving Nakusp I went to Valemount via Kamloops the ride up the Yellow Head Hwy after getting out of Kamloops seemed strange to me although I saw cars on the road I didn't see much else as far as civilization is concerned. I was riding with the fuel indicator blinking when I hit Valemount. But the sensation of being alone riding north on that road was something special I rode another hundred miles north after checking in to my room to McBride.

DSCN1266.jpg

DSCN1273.jpg

Enjoy, looking forward to your report.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to call the park in Jasper about the smoke. They have a whole bunch of fires in the area. I was just there a few days ago and the visibility in Jasper and about 200 miles to the west, south and north was about 1/2 mile. It was like riding in fog.

As a previous poster has already mentioned. Icefields Parkway is awesome.

img_1741.jpg

I took a ride there several years ago - just super, except Ididn't get to ride Going to the Sun Road :angry2:

Montana & Canadian Rockies Ride

It's one of my all time fav rides- Enjoy the hell out it

One of the best trips that I ever took was to Quesnel, BC for a kart race. It seemed like Darlene & I were the only Americans within miles & miles & miles. They even played the Star Spangled Banner... brought the ol' tears on.

In Vernon, BC, I met one of the brewmasters for Kokanee beer. He was a really happy guy. :)

I really like Canadians.

Stephen,

Headed that route on my way to WCR, except my route will have me going through hells canyon, lolo pass, glacier, and up into Banff then follow the parks to the north heading west and north up to Prince George (I believe) and then south to Vancouver and the ferry to Vancouver Island.

No phone -- no computer, just me and the FJR. I will pass along my thoughts upon the return. :)

By the way, I will be checking into the routes mentioned above and see if they can be fit into my schedule.

If I figure how to post a S&T map, I will post my route over the weekend as I hope to have it somewhat drafted by then.

wingshot

aka Brian

Stephen,
Headed that route on my way to WCR, except my route will have me going through hells canyon, lolo pass, glacier, and up into Banff then follow the parks to the north heading west and north up to Prince George (I believe) and then south to Vancouver and the ferry to Vancouver Island.
Keep an eye out 3 fast Silver FJR's Stephen. We'll be doing the Icefields Parkway & Glacier on the way to WCR as well.

Banff is some of the most beautiful mountainous country I have ever visited... and I grew up in Montana with several trips up and down the rockies. Unbelievable scenery. Enjoy the trip and go ALL THE WAY to Jasper. Somehow, I'll figure a way to ride that area again... just a little harder to do from Cali than when I lived in MT.

If you're going Hell's Canyon to Lolo/ H12 you'll probably come through Lewiston ID.

Give me a wave on you're way through.

Need any road info in this neck of the woods let me know.