Bar end weight w/helmet lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tboat101

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has experience with this idea. Searched the forum and didn't find anything. Seems like a great idea and I'm considering giving it a try. Neither of the following companies list weight of the product, which concerns me. Thoughts?

www.lidlox.com

www.barender.com

Interesting idea, but not a good if rain is possible. Also offers a tempting target for a jerk that passes by and decides to put something in there.

Not completely sure how much they weigh, or what brand they are, but I have these on my 04. I don't usually need to use them but when I am traveling and the sidecases are full, I do. The one thing I really like is the ability to hook my helmet after feeding the bar in through the sleeve of my jacket. This makes the jacket and helmet decently secure. The 3/4 jacket I wear takes up a huge amount of room in a side or top case. My bar end locks allow me to take other stuff with me. Obviously, YMMV. Good luck.

I have them on my 08 which came with the bike when I purchased it last year. Interestingly, I didn't realize that they were primarily helmet locks until I started researching bar end weights a month or so ago. The dealership apparently didn't know either, even when they discovered the keys at time of purchase. As for their weight I still don't know, however I was able to contact the original owner to ask him if he still had the factory bar ends. Sadly he didn't but told me that the vibrations at certain rpm's remained unchanged which is all I needed to know. As for using them I haven't had much need yet, it is easier and faster to use an empty pannier, however, if I had know prior to our summer trip with full panniers it would have saved hauling the cable lock out of the top box to string the helmets & jackets together.

Looks like mine are from Barender.com., # BE-6. Would I buy them as an after market product ? I like the fact that they extend my bars a bit more than the stock ends. I have big hands and like the extra length but at $170 Cdn probably not.

Hope this helps.

I've had them on my both my 04 and my 13 (still).

Work great, but I don't often use them.

Whats WAY more useful is a chrome stud helmet holder for a cruiser that threads into the unused mirror mount on the FJR. I use it every ride, I'd be lost without it.

2-354_1_Helmet%20Holder%20Stud.jpg

Aerostich has some nice stainless ones I've been running since I bought the bike, and they are better than the stock ones. I just run a cable through my jacket as well and add it to the bar end. No down side, as I hang my helmet on the mirror anyway, no rain collection that way

I'd like to come up with something similar but...

Hanging helmets on the mirrors of a 3rd Gen may not work too well with the wimpy cheese-metal sub-frames we've got.

Jus' sayin'

Last edited by a moderator:
The following is an economical option that has worked well for me with throttlemeister bar ends. I have one on the left bar of each FJRs and it is great for hanging a helmet when stopped. The little padlock can also secure the helmet (well, as much as you can secure a helmet hooked by the large D ring). Note: I have bar risers on both FJRs (MCL on one and Motorrad on the other) and the device works well with the bars locked to the left, clearing the gas tank - I'm not sure how this item would work with stock bars or other risers.

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/aarons_fun_stuff/all_types/extuff/

Last edited by a moderator:
I like these! :thumbsup: And they look like they would be very easy to clone at home.

I have a set of Vstrom hand guards that I leave mounted all of the time. These hooks could be rotated forward and secured to the end of the hand guard and you wouldn't even really notice that they are there, but would give a great place to lock the helmet strap to. It might be possible to balance the helmet on the handlebar/hand guard, or hang it on a mirror and still lock the strap there so the helmet is not inverted and collecting rain water.

I am using the lidlox bar end. It is 0k. I tried not using the supplied ''T'' shaped helmet holder and discovered the helmet was hard to unlock because the helmet was interfering with the key hole.

I would not leave my helmet lock with it in rain, lot of water would be collected.

Be kind on my english it is not my usual language.

I have one of these on each bar. I really like them. Especially after dropping my helmet of the mirror, no danger of doing that with these. The plastic is very tough, probably wouldn't be able to cut through without a dremel or something. The locks that you can get as an accessory aren't the best, they mostly serve to keep honest people honest and prevent a quick snatch and grab kind of theft.

The following is an economical option that has worked well for me with throtlemeister bar ends. I have one on the left bar of each FJRs and it is great for hanging a helmet when stopped. The little padlock can also secure the helmet (well, as much as you can secure a helmet hooked by the large D ring). Note: I have bar risers on both FJRs (MCL on one and Motorrad on the other) and the device works well with the bars locked to the left, clearing the gas tank - I'm not sure how this item would work with stock bars or other risers.
https://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/aarons_fun_stuff/all_types/extuff/