Bar Risers vs Stock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
For those with GenIII bikes, after having ridden your bike with stock bars and changing to risers, can you comment on the handling effect. I had Heli-Riser on my '07. My '14 stock seems to fall into turns much better and the overall handling just seems to be better. I liked the sitting position on the '07, however, after attending a riding clinic on rider ergonomics I found proper posture when learned thru practice made the OEM bars feel just fine. Perhaps one's height may have an effect on the need for higher bars. I'm 5'10".

I'll start you off with a useless answer: I've only ridden with stock bars in the middle position and I find them just fine, thank you. As you point out, any "reaching" sensation quickly goes away when you get into the "master yoda riding position." I'm 6'1" and wear 35-36" sleeves on my dress shirts.

You're 6'1" with a 35/36 inch sleeve. I'm 6'0' with a 32/33 sleeve. If I don't have the bar risers it becomes very uncomfortable. My bar risers make the reach still a little longer for me then you have without the risers. I think this issue as with others depends a great deal on the wants and needs of the individual.

You're 6'1" with a 35/36 inch sleeve. I'm 6'0' with a 32/33 sleeve. If I don't have the bar risers it becomes very uncomfortable. My bar risers make the reach still a little longer for me then you have without the risers. I think this issue as with others depends a great deal on the wants and needs of the individual.
+2. I'm 5'-10" but with 34 inch sleeves and 32" inseam. Nevertheless consider that things like variation in genetics for vertebrae development vs. life experiences (no, I'm not listing them, though I've been plagued with back problems since age 18) over 6+ decades can sometimes require various adjustments. I wound up with the Helibar bridge and it works great for me. But this is a very individual issue. Several options are out there if factory doesn't work for you.

Thanks for the varied responses. My question was whether you noticed any handling difference btwn stock and riser bars. I have addressed the posture issue in the past.

The first thing I noticed driving my ES home from the dealer was I had to lean into the bars. This caused me back pains on my 05 and 09 FJRs, so I had installed the Heli triple clamp risers, which allowed me to go all day long in total comfort. They don't make them for the Gen III. MCL just came out with their 14ES full riser plate and I installed it today. Just sitting on the bike, I can tell it's more like my last 2 FJRs. I'll be out and about this weekend and can report back in on the handling afterwards.

The install was straightforward, but the drill guide (you borrow it for $100) was a lifesaver . . . made the hard part more like just a nervous part.
smile.png

Ok, handling differences: With the grips a bit closer to me, it feels a bit more responsive to my input. But that's also subjective. I can't say I've noticed any adverse effects of adding mass to the system.

Did some sweepers and twisties in the foothills today. I have to say the bike handled flawlessly throughout. There was a lot of traffic and I'm still in my breakin period, so had to keep the RPMs down, but the risers didn't seem to have any negative effects.

The ride up and back was definitely more comfortable due to the more upright riding position . . . well, except when the cager decided he wanted my lane as he "merged" in . . . I guess the privileged few don't have to look before they move over.
fool.gif

Ok, handling differences: With the grips a bit closer to me, it feels a bit more responsive to my input. But that's also subjective. I can't say I've noticed any adverse effects of adding mass to the system.
I ordered Dad a Heli-Bar bridge today and we are hoping for the best. Which of the 3 positions did you use? They say that the two forward positions move the bars wider apart. I would think that with the bars "wider" you would have more leverage.

Do you find that without your weight as far forward the front tire is less "loaded" than before?

Last, do you think the bridge is worth the money and time? Pop does not have to worry about installation but I sure do.