Barbarian Modders please Poll your CO info......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all,

Little update here regarding my Barb Mod settings... I rode today with a very good friend who has the 08 C14(nice bike). I prevouisly had posted that I wasn't sure if +7 was giving me better performance.. Well, regarding my 07's setup... +7 gave me a very very distinctive acceleration advantage over the stock CO settings. I don't know if more is better BUT more tests to come. I plan to do some CO value testing on the dyno (when I can get some time scheduled on it). I want to know if this extra acceleration(fuel) is gonna fatten my top end too much. I will let you know...

As most of you know, the 08 C14 has a gear ratio advantage(in the lower gears) over the Gen II FJR's for acceleration(six speed and all you know).

Here is how it went...

With my CO levels at the stock settings... Highway speed roll-ons in 3rd and 4th gear, our bikes were pretty much dead even (tied). Also, with my stock CO levels... 1st gear roll-ons from around 20 mph revealed his C14 having a distinct 1 to 2 bike length acceleration advantage with my FJR then even pacing him up to the top end Mach speeds but never gaining on him. We did not do a wide open, alls balls, top end run for miles and miles. Though, I am sure we will(on a closed course..Of course).

Here is where it got fun!!!

I went +7 on all four cylinders... The same 1st gear roll-on results changed DRASTICALLY in favor of my FJR. Now my FJR pulled a few bike lengths on his C14 and he could never reel me in, all the way up to the top end speed marks. Then, 3rd and 4th gear highway roll-ons the bikes were still close with maybe a slight advantage to the FJR.

On an Interesting side note, regarding how both bikes(C14 and FJR1300) are geared differently. Like I said eariler, the C14 has really good acceleration gears(I am sure for those published magazine 1/4 mi times)... We did a top gear roll-on and my FJR would just stomp him(multiple semi truck lengths). I know, I know.. The C14 has 6 gears and it isn't really a fair comparision (though people like to compare the lower 1/4 mi gears... Hmmmm..somethings aren't always fair).. So, we did a 5th gear roll-on... The C14 must have a pretty large 5th gear too, because.. The FJR still had a distinct advatage on 5th gear roll-ons.

During one of our top speed runs through the gears my friend accidently instinctive shifted into sixth gear(OD) and we both commented on how it looked like he was braking because he just lost all his steam. He said I just started running away from him when he hit 6th gear.

This post is not to bash the C14 because it really is a very nice motorcycle. I was very impressed with its performance and initial quality. However, I do prefer my FJR's style and extra touring abilities over the C14. I had read about how the C14 had a lack of power response in the low to mid ranges BUT I will say I did not see that at all!!

Thats all I got... Sorry for the performance side track but I thought you all might like to know.

WW