Barber Motorsports Museum

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigRegs

Reaction score
In the movie "Field of Dreams," The Voice says "If you build it, he will come." Well, maybe George Barber didn't build his museum just for me, but I sure wanted to come (chill boys, this post is G-rated). For the last several years I've been reading glowing reports about the Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, AL, seen dozens of photos, and heard tales of it. As a week of vacation approached, my wife said that since we only had family plans for about five days, I should take the rest of the week and weekend to take this trip. So four days to get there, see it and get back. I was stoked.

Day One

Hit the road southeast out of the Des Moines metro at 6am. My mission is to make miles today, so only time for one photo stop along the Great River Road in Missouri, south of Hannibal.

Day1.jpg

But I wish I'd had a camera ready to capture the instant I came over the crest of a hill to find a dog squatting in the middle of my lane about to let go a load. Didn't quite scare the shit out of him, but it startled me. (Okay, PG-rated post.) 700 miles later, I was south of Shiloh Military Park in Tennessee, camped by Pickwick Dam.

105_0518.jpg

Day Two

After breakfast at Waffle House (it's a crime Iowa doesn't have WH), and a one hour ride south, I'm at a non-descript, cement block building with a most incredible history. You may know the Lynyrd Skynrd lyric: "In Muscle Shoals they got the Swampers. They been known to pick a song or two." This is where they did it. Muscle Shoals Studios. Wilson Pickett, the Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, Skynyrd, Seger, The Staple Singers and tons more recorded hundreds of hits here. Check their web site for some details about its salvation from the wrecking ball. The Quicktime movie on the home page gives you an idea of the volume of quality work that came from this place. Unfortunately for me (but good for the studio), they were set up for a session and there literally wasn't room between the amps, mic stands and drum kit to give me a tour.

105_0521.jpg

Just a couple more hours southeast I reached the Birmingham suburb of Leeds. Motorcycle Mecca. My Field of Dreams. The Promised Land. A shining museum upon a hill. And I was the only bike that took advantage of the reserved motorcycle parking in front of the building! WTF?

105_0540.jpg

As I pulled open the front door, I couldn't wipe the grin from my face. I actually giggled! There are four stacks of bikes, one on each corner of the enormous elevator, reaching five stories high!

105_0527.jpg

It was amazing. I gladly paid my $15, stashed my gear in the free gear check room, took the elevator (into which you could easily fit six bikes) to the fifth floor and began my tour. Let's look at some exotics: Britten.

105_0549.jpg

MV Agusta

105_0548.jpg

a '92 Honda NR750 not available in the US and one of only 100 built.

105_0564.jpg

But it's not just exotics. There are everyday bikes on display, too. The stacks next to the elevators held a Pacific Coast, Midnight Maxim, Victory Vision, and V45 Sabre. And of course there's lots of old iron including a '31 Indian police bike with heel-operated siren that runs off the back tire

105_0557.jpg

Your humble correspondent mirrored in a Nor-Vin.

105_0572.jpg

It's impossible to report on everything! There's just too much! I mean bikes are literally stacked (tastefully) all over the place!

106_0663.jpg

Stack.jpg

I bowed to the forefather of the FJR, a '92 FJ1200.

105_0598.jpg

Oh, yeah, they've got this famous replica chopper, too.

105_0579.jpg

But wait...what's that framed between the fork and engine? A (still) lone FJR in the parking lot!

CaptAmericaFJR.jpg

It's amazing how many vehicles (there's a collection of Lotus racing cars from the 30's through today on display as well) have a sign that indicates this particular vehicle is "one of only four known to exist" or "Fewer than 25 were ever made." And yet these rarities are not behind glass, or railings or even velvet ropes. You can walk right up to them and around them and inspect them as closely as you wish. Just don't touch.

The museum is beautiful in its own right, and the track outside the north windows is too. How many tracks boast sculpture throughout the grounds? From the window of the museum you can see Sisyphus pushing his rock up the hill and a couple of lions farther back.

105_0556.jpg

There is more sculpture around the track, but it wasn't open. (It's a separate facility.) You can see photos of some of them on their web site. I'm particularly amused by the giant ants carrying off a wrecked bike, its rider and a Coke bottle. Click around their website until it pops up

After absorbing as much as I could in the five hours I was there, I left to find a motel, as rain was forecast for the evening. After unpacking the bike, I found I'd created on the nightstand a still-life of the various electronic "necessities" for a proper LD ride. And don't forget the digital camera that took the photo.

RidingToys.jpg

Day Three

On to Tupelo for a drive-by of Elvis' birthplace and to bag another state, then on to Arkansas for a photo that's becoming a tradition in my family's Christmas newsletter. Every year I try to find a different "Craig" location and include a photo of me and the bike in the newsletter. This year's honoree is an entire county:

CraigheadCo.jpg

So far I've bagged IA, NE, MO, AR, and Craig Co. OK. Likely Colorado next year! If you've got a "Craig" near you, let me know. Also to be found in Craighead county is Black Oak, Arkansas ("Go Jim Dandy, Go!")

BlackOakAK.jpg

That evening found my tent pitched north of Cape Girardeau, MO at Trail of Tears State Park. A whole-wheat thin-crust pizza from the hickory-fired ovens of the local brew pub made a great meal. The next morning, Day 4, with the camera battery's last ounce of energy, I captured this...

MissView.jpg

...then headed up the Great River Road to St. Louis. From there I followed SR 94, part of the Lewis and Clark trail, along the Missouri River, waving to all the Sunday morning curve carvers. Around McKittrick, a BMW K-series turned onto the highway in front of me and we rode together to Jeff City, where he headed south and I headed north to highball for home.

1950 miles in 4 days. And worth every yard to see the Barber Motorsports Museum. Put it on your bucket list. These pictures can't even begin to do it justice.

Craig

Craig,

There is a Craig, KS but it is in the middle of Lenexa a sub of KC. Probably not worth the trip unless you intend to go down I-70 to CO. Not even sure there is a sign for the picture.

I went down to the Barber museum a couple of years ago. It is truly amazing. I was with an older guy that has ridden motorcycles most of his life. It was great to walk through with him as he noted several models that he had owned back at age 15, 22, 35, so on.

I encourage everyone to head down there and check it out. While we were there we also took a little side trip to 69 Dreams. Not really sure what number but it was some number then Dreams. It was a camp ground, cabins for motorcycles only, no cars allowed. It was a fun, curvy ride down there. I believe they have since gone out of business.

Thanks for your report!

Lee

Excellent post and pics Craig. That's how I like carrying my gear on the bike as well...personally I am not a topcase fan at all. Thanks for documenting your trip. LCJ

Day One

Hit the road southeast out of the Des Moines metro at 6am. My mission is to make miles today, so only time for one photo stop along the Great River Road in Missouri, south of Hannibal.

Day1.jpg

What a fabulous picture. Of course, I always get a little teary eyed whenever I see Yamaha's apex of FJR production, the 2007.

In the movie "Field of Dreams," The Voice says "If you build it, he will come."
Just a couple more hours southeast I reached the Birmingham suburb of Leeds. Motorcycle Mecca. My Field of Dreams. The Promised Land. A shining museum upon a hill. And I was the only bike that took advantage of the reserved motorcycle parking in front of the building! WTF?

105_0540.jpg

As I pulled open the front door, I couldn't wipe the grin from my face. I actually giggled! There are four stacks of bikes, one on each corner of the enormous elevator, reaching five stories high!

105_0527.jpg

But wait...what's that framed between the fork and engine? A (still) lone FJR in the parking lot!

CaptAmericaFJR.jpg

There is more sculpture around the track, but it wasn't open. (It's a separate facility.) You can see photos of some of them on their web site. I'm particularly amused by the giant ants carrying off a wrecked bike, its rider and a Coke bottle. Click around their website until it pops up
Oh Man thanks! A virtual delicatessen of motorcycles. Loved the Britten, the MV Augusta and the forefather of the FJR. Thanks for the eyeful, now I gotta get there. Lessee (?), it's only about 2,310 miles to Birmingham one way.

Hmmmm?

Craig, There is a Craig, KS but it is in the middle of Lenexa a sub of KC. Probably not worth the trip unless you intend to go down I-70 to CO. Not even sure there is a sign for the picture.

I went down to the Barber museum a couple of years ago. It is truly amazing. I was with an older guy that has ridden motorcycles most of his life. It was great to walk through with him as he noted several models that he had owned back at age 15, 22, 35, so on.

I encourage everyone to head down there and check it out. While we were there we also took a little side trip to 69 Dreams. Not really sure what number but it was some number then Dreams. It was a camp ground, cabins for motorcycles only, no cars allowed. It was a fun, curvy ride down there. I believe they have since gone out of business.

Thanks for your report!

Lee
Lee, I missed Craig, KS. Google maps shows it as a subdivision under construction, street view shows....not much there. Heck, that's just a day's ride down and back from Des Moines. I'll have to check it out.

Excellent report Craig!

Being that I live a whopping 10 miles from The Museum and The track, it's hard not to have a sense of pride in reading Craig's post, and other's comments regarding the facility. For those that haven't had the pleasure of visiting yet, make it just that, yet. It is truly beyond description. My hat's off to the founder, George Barber, for choosing his home town as the place to build such a magnificent facility.

My offer to any of my fellow FJR brethren, I'll buy the first beer at 29 Dreams (and yes it is still in operation, the rumors of it's death were greatly exaggerated) when you come to Birmingham to visit the museum, or a race at the track for that matter. Just drop me a line in advance and be my guest, I'll gladly show you around the area. We've got some great FJR riding roads around as well. Hope to be buying many "1st beers" for you guys for years to come!

FJRBandit

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Pics!

I only live a half day ride from Barber and heard it was fabulous, thanks for sharing!

When I get back to Alabama I'm headed over there. It's just not right living an hour away from the place and not visiting. Any thing else to see or roads to ride coming from the Jacksonville, AL area?

When I get back to Alabama I'm headed over there. It's just not right living an hour away from the place and not visiting. Any thing else to see or roads to ride coming from the Jacksonville, AL area?
Sage,

A good road to run coming from the east would be to catch the Renfroe Road out of Talladega, swing down to 280 and go to Harpersville. From there take AL 25 to 29 Dreams and then on up to Leeds and the museum. That would make for a nice day trip for you, because you're gonna stay at Barber at least 2-3 hours minimum.

That picture of the Mississippi south of Hannibal is almost in my back yard. I stop there often.

Nice photos and nice ride report.

I have but Barber on my to do list--- hopefully next year sometime.

Sage,

A good road to run coming from the east would be to catch the Renfroe Road out of Talladega, swing down to 280 and go to Harpersville. From there take AL 25 to 29 Dreams and then on up to Leeds and the museum. That would make for a nice day trip for you, because you're gonna stay at Barber at least 2-3 hours minimum.
I was there for 5 hrs and didn't think I did it justice. YMMV

Craig

Sage,

I was there for 5 hrs and didn't think I did it justice. YMMV

Craig
I'll check that route out in a couple weeks. Thanks guys.

Great post Craig - THANKS! Am gonna get there this Oct. Maybe I will get the bug to do another trackday. Uh oh....

Craig, great report.... The barber museum had almost slipped from my mind as far as destinations go... Back up there now!

Kind of sad no other bikes there visiting the day you were...

Craig, great report.... The barber museum had almost slipped from my mind as far as destinations go... Back up there now!
Kind of sad no other bikes there visiting the day you were...
There were a few other bikes there, about a half-dozen or so. None of them took advantage of the up-front parking, though. No clue why. Perhaps they felt their V-twins weren't worthy of sharing tarmac with the Feej.