BaseCamp "Find" feature

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevec677

Reaction score
I'm slowly learning BaseCamp, so please bear with me. I cannot figure out how to use the "Find" feature to find an address. I have the "CN North America NT 2014.40" map installed. From what I'm reading, it looks like I need to download "City Navigator" for $79.99 to be able to search for address's. Is this correct? Is there any other way? I have the 350LM unit.

When I update my garmin there is an option to download the maps to my computer as well. I am away from my computer but I think that is so that you can use them with basecamp.

Good luck,

Worney

Agreed, I plug in my GPS and use it's map, though I've never tried using the find feature, I do get more detail from it.

There's a menu (on mine anyway) at the top of the screen --- "File" "Edit" .....etc......and ..."Find".

'Find' has a drop down that you can click on 'addresses'

You click on the sprocket looking thing on the upper right side and then in the search space put your address.

Hope this helps.....

EDIT.....Oh I just tried it, and you're right....it's messed up. I can't figure out either....LOL

DOUBLE EDIT.....WAIT!!! I figured it out. on the very upper right corner of the program is a space and a magnifier glass symbol. When i typed the address in there, it worked!

I'm not sure about the question about City Nav. download.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a menu (on mine anyway) at the top of the screen --- "File" "Edit" .....etc......and ..."Find".'Find' has a drop down that you can click on 'addresses'

You click on the sprocket looking thing on the upper right side and then in the search space put your address.

Hope this helps.....

EDIT.....Oh I just tried it, and you're right....it's messed up. I can't figure out either....LOL

DOUBLE EDIT.....WAIT!!! I figured it out. on the very upper right corner of the program is a space and a magnifier glass symbol. When i typed the address in there, it worked!

I'm not sure about the question about City Nav. download.
Thanks Iris. I thought that was a help search, not an address search. You are my Basecamp savoir.
punk.gif

What works best for me is in the upper right search I input the street address. Then in the Find Options dialog box I change the location from "Center of view" to the city and state then run the search.

I hate basecamp. To me it sux. Never have figured it out. It's why I still use mapsux and paper maps for route planning, at least it has some semblance of normalcy.

Found the following somewhere. I also hated Basecamp until I started watching the videos below. Spend a little time and you will probably change you mind.

===================================================================================

Basecamp Mapping Software Lessons

I stumbled across a series of YouTube tutorial videos on the subject of Garmin's BaseCamp mapping software while searching zumoforums.com. There are a total of 15 excellent tutorials for beginners and experienced users alike. The videos can be lengthy, some are 20 minutes long, but they are VERY complete.

I am one of those who always liked MapSource better than BaseCamp. With the release of City Navigator 2014.3 I noticed that errors started to occur in MapSource. These errors don't occur in BaseCamp thereby the need for me to suck it in and finally convert from MapSource.

Quite frankly, after watching the tutorials I think BaseCamp is now better than MapSource. And, with Garmin continuing to improve BaseCamp many of my old qualms have been negated. One of my original pet peeves about BaseCamp centered around data storage and presentation. It SEEMED that it could be confusing and overwhelming. The gentleman who created the videos has over 27,000 waypoints, routes, and data pieces stored and accessed in BaseCamp in an elegant and organized structure. I was very impressed.

Regardless of whether you use a Zumo, Nuvi, or any other Garmin product, these videos will be a excellent resource to learn BaseCamp. You don't need to join the Zumo Forum. For your convenience I've posted the links below.

I give the guy (Don Norwood, 2011 BMW 1200GSA) a lot of credit for creating these tutorials. He did one hell of a good job.

Lesson 1 .... the Garmin BaseCamp Map and Menu....

Ok, I tried. I made it through 2 1/2 minutes of the first video and became so thoroughly confused I had to stop. Maybe it's because I don't understand the terminology or something.

I'm beginning to think it's hopeless......

I'm not sure how else to help. I thought he did a nice job of explaining things. There were quite a few places that I was having trouble with. But I got through the videos and now actually like using Basecamp. I was playing with BC while watching so maybe that helped. Then again I have been using mapping programs for over 15 years and BC is just different.

I thought he didn't explain anything. For instance, he kept saying "file, folder or list..."

I was attempting to look at things in the program while he was talking- I'd stop the audio and open BaseCamp to be sure what I was going to see was the same as what he is talking about. But I saw no "file, folder or list" places, things or whatever. Somehow there's a route or a collection of way(or via) points that opens on my map every time I start the program. I didn't put them there, they're just there. In the bottom left hand box it says "this filter is empty". There's no "file, list or folder". The top box shows "Library/my collection/unlisted data" but won't allow me to delete the data b/c there's no "file, list or folder". So how do I get this crap off my map to start anew? I tried file/new/route but that does nothing, I still have a bunch of waypoint flags on a map of Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois. WTF?

And another thing- when he puts his cursor on his map nothing happens. When I put my cursor on my map a pop-up box gives me a location. How can I make this pop-up thingee stop?

And another thing- I have lifetime updates. I paid for it. Why is BaseCamp telling me I have to pay again to update my maps from City Navigator 2010 to 2014? I don't understand- I paid for LIFETIME updates. Why can't I have them?

And another thing: lesson 1, about 9 minutes in, he talks about a slider in the upper left corner of the map.

I got no slider. Where the hell is it? How do I get it to show up?

And another thing: lesson 1, about 9 minutes in, he talks about a slider in the upper left corner of the map.
I got no slider. Where the hell is it? How do I get it to show up?
Upper left corner of the map is a Blue triangle. Put your cursor anywhere up in that corner and look for the slider to appear. Move the cursur away from that corner and the slider disappears. The slider is the zoom-in and zoom-out function, but if you have a scrolling mouse (thumbwheel) that will also zoom in and out without looking for the slider.

I have a suspicion that there may be a more fundamental issue you are experiencing, but let's try something simple first.

Here's how I search for an address:

In the upper right corner there's a search field. Put the address in there:

Selection_281.png

Click on the blue hourglass, and you'll get a list of places that sort of match, like this:

Selection_282.png

Click on the right one, and then you'll see this:

Selection_283.png

Then you can click on each of those four buttons to create a waypoint, add to a route, etc.

Does this exact address work for you? If not, where does it fail?

And another thing- I have lifetime updates. I paid for it. Why is BaseCamp telling me I have to pay again to update my maps from City Navigator 2010 to 2014? I don't understand- I paid for LIFETIME updates. Why can't I have them?

And another thing- when I set my detail to "highest" and zoom in as far as I can go, why are no small side streets shown? All I get is a blank screen. If I zoom out I can see interstates and US Hwys (major roads) but nothing else. Is this fixable? I don't want a route on major roads but it seems I have no choice....