Bastards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knifemaker

Not me
Reaction score
Ok..almost got my Yamaha top case mounted . Seems they use some wierd Torx screws on the lock. Ain't got one. The required driver will have to have a small hole in its end to fit in. This something I can find at Lowes?

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
Security torx(forget which size), get them at your local Kragen type store. This info should really be added to the bin-o-facts, unless its already there?

I got mine from Sears. They came in a blister pack of 10 or so and are made by a company called Lisle and they call theirs "Tamper resistant torx bit set". The part # on mine is 26530

Sounds like a "Tamper Proof" fastener.

Common for a lot of outside bolt-on stuff on cars.

Tail lamps and the like.

I'd try: autoparts store, McMaster-Carr, Sears...

Or maybe just buy some standard Allen screws. (probably cheaper and less long term headaches)

Last edited by a moderator:
Craftsman PN 25702 6 piece Torx Bit Set; $9.99

While you're there, Craftsman PN 43324 Spark Plug Socket; $3.99. Fits front axle if you use it backwards.

Pepperell

i think it's size 10. be sure and use lock tight. they tend to rattle loose.

what i'd like to know is why bother with security bits when you have to open the bags to access the screws. hmmm..

i'm really enjoying the posts from the 06 crowd. it reminds me of my 04. and by the way, those feelings you're having don't go away. i love my ride!

derek

Knifemaker, Did U go back & make sure that the dealer used blue thread locker on the bag lock screws also. Many posts about these comming off... Later,,, De :rolleyes:

These small screws will come out if NO lock tite. Had it happen to me on the road and NO tork bit....what a pain in the ass. :angry: Worried all the way home that the thing might flop open somehow. :bigeyes: It didn't but still...you know the rest.

Same here,bastages NEVER put any loktite on mine,luckily they replaced the lock under warranty! Then they wanted to put it on for me,thanks but no thanks! I should have known though,when i bought the FJR I asked the "tech" where the choke was :D and tried not to blow a vein holding back from laughing in his face. Moron spent at least 5 mins looking for it and came back from the maintenance area with a VERY sheepish look on his face. When he told me it didn't have one due to fuel injection the salesman just laughed at him and told me thats why he does his own stuff.Needless to say, I see all new faces there now. :assasin: