Battery change problems 2015 1300ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K_Flyer

Reaction score
Trying to replace the battery on my 2015 ES. Access is the issue. Take off the battery cover panel but the dash panel fairing where the front of the battery access panel sits comes in too far. I managed to get the old battery out with lot of force and foul language but can't get the new battery in. Exact same dimensions. Heard somewhere to remove that dash panel but can't figure how to get it out. The two pop fasteners pop but they are still holding the panel and can't see what else is holding it. Couldn't find anything on YouTube that helped as the old bikes seemed to have more space.

Hey Murray...remove four (4) black screws, both headlight adjusters and the two push pins you reference. To remove push pins, push in center to detent, and then use fingernail or small flat screwdriver to carefully remove pin body. Grab the panel by both ears and pull straight back. It'll "snap" loose from nose plastic. I've found it easier to have glove box open when removing but especially so on reassembly.

First time removal is nerve racking...subsequent times not so much. Good luck!

~G

Trying to replace the battery on my 2015 ES. Access is the issue. Take off the battery cover panel but the dash panel fairing where the front of the battery access panel sits comes in too far. I managed to get the old battery out with lot of force and foul language but can't get the new battery in. Exact same dimensions. Heard somewhere to remove that dash panel but can't figure how to get it out. The two pop fasteners pop but they are still holding the panel and can't see what else is holding it. Couldn't find anything on YouTube that helped as the old bikes seemed to have more space.
As escapefjrtist says, removal of that centre panel is a little daunting, a fair amount of plastic flexure is needed. But it's quite do-able.

Complete fairing removal pics here, should help.

Thanks for all the help. I did research on YouTube first but still had the interference problem. I think he, or another poster, mentioned it.
I can't see four black screws, only the two attached to the other access panels. the puch pins did pop, the pins are well in, but could not get them loose, even with a thin screwdriver or Xacto chisel.

The good news is that I finally got the battery in. Must have got it at just the right angle so a firm push dropped it into place without removing the other panel. Also finally got the main positive lead in place and started the screw. Still have to get a couple of other leads (Moto-lites, GPS and charge pigtail) in place.
Now what to do about the stuck pop pins? Tempted to ignore them for now and keep an eye on the panel in case they come out. Will put a couple spares in the tank bag, just in case.