Battery Chargers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve'o'

Reaction score
I just purchased one of these, CTEK Multi US 3300, at a local parts store for $45.00 CAN, 40% off. Just wondering if anyone has one or has experience with one and likes and dislikes.

Our most popular, flexible and versatile smarter charger

The MULTI US 3300 (Part No. 56-158) is a versatile battery charger in a compact format that makes it convenient and easy to charge and maintain all household vehicles. The special cold mode means that you can also charge during cold winters days without problems.

Perfect for car, vintage car, personal water craft, boats with one battery, boats with start & service battery, scooter, motorcycle, Quad/ATV, lawnmower, caravan, and tractor.

Includes two interchangeable connection leads, one with clamps, and one with eyelet terminals.

Happy with mine. Only drawback is the non-standard connector so you need another lead attached to the battery. :^(

-worney

Happy with mine. Only drawback is the non-standard connector so you need another lead attached to the battery. :^(

-worney
I have one as well. I bought the cig lighter adaper tried to run my air pump off of it and blew a fuse - just a 5 amp in the lead. Haven't replaced the fuse yet. I had an older one that had a different connector on it. I bought a new one because the old style conector wasn't available anymore and I wanted the aux connection.

Joe

I have one with the cigarette plug that I use on my '09 Corvette, this charger has a car mode and a motorcycle mode, and as noted above, the plug connection for various pig tails is not standard. It works fine on the Vette. I use Battery Tender on my bikes.

I have the Battery Tender charger which I bought 4 years ago from the USA.

I changed the end for a DIN type plug and incorporated a 1amp fuse holder into the line. As one of my accessory sockets is permanently live I just plug into that at night and saves any need for a separate lead attached. And as I have rated the socket for 15amps I just plug my little compressor in there too when I need it.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have the Battery Tender JR. I have the DIN pigtali permanently attached to the barrey and leave it plugged in all winter in an unheated garage. I don`t even take the battery out of the bike. No problems for the last couple of years.

Looks like my Battery needs a charge; Never had to think about re-charge since i bought it new in 2010.

Trying to charge via Battery Tender this week; Any thread that details this (would help me save some time trying to get to the battery).

Since this my 1st time - I need to open up the battery compartment - Right? The pigtail mentioned here - Is it an aftermarket or its with the FJR and i need to look for it somewhere hidden?

Since this my 1st time - I need to open up the battery compartment - Right? The pigtail mentioned here - Is it an aftermarket or its with the FJR and i need to look for it somewhere hidden?
The pigtail conector usually comes with the battery tender kit. It's a heavy gauge dual wire with an offset plug at one end which matches the battery tender plug, and ring connectors at the other for connecting to your battery.

Make sure you tighten the battery terminal screws well, as they have a tendency to vibrate loose and cause all manner of weird electrical problems..

Battery_tender_Jr..jpg

I prefer the Batter Minder. MCN did a review a few years ago and found several of the "other brands" frequently broke, over-charging or not charging at all, thereby ruining the battery. That also happened to a friend of mind with a Battery Tender (overcharged and boiled the acid down).

Most motorcycle battery chargers come with a battery pigtail.

There is no battery compartment per se, the battery is resident under dash Panel A. See your owners manual, if you don't have the owners manual you can view and download a manual from Yamaha here. Once Panel A is removed you can access the battery terminals. Always (always, always) remove the negative battery cable first, then the positive battery cable. Failure to do this may result in arc welding your wrench to the frame of the motorcycle if the wrench accidentally touches the positive post and the frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like my Battery needs a charge; Never had to think about re-charge since i bought it new in 2010.

Trying to charge via Battery Tender this week; Any thread that details this (would help me save some time trying to get to the battery).
The Battery Tender will maintain a charged (or mostly charged) battery, but it won't work with a battery that's dead. If your battery is discharged to the point where lights don't come on when you turn on the key, you'll need to charge it initially with a battery charger, then put the Tender on it to maintain the charge. If there's some charge in it, but it's not where it should be based on a voltage reading or that it seems to be cranking more slowly than usual (but it will still crank the bike), you could try the Battery Tender and try to get it up to a full charge that way.

It's nice to have a power outlet that is wired to the battery (through a fuse, of course...) to connect the Battery Tender. If you have a Fuzeblock or other such power management system, a non-switched circuit with an SAE plug or a power outlet is a handy way to connect the Battery Tender, otherwise the Battery Tender comes with a quick disconnect (Molex-type) on a fused lead with battery terminal connectors that you can attach to the battery and leave in place.