Battery Tender Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bes

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a battery tender from 2002 I used on an RT with a non gel type battery. Will this work with the battery on my 08 FJR? Has battery technology changed in the past 6 Years? I ask this because whenever I put the FJR on the tender after several weeks on non-use, the tender glows amber for just seconds then reads fully charged. Thanks! Barry

I ask this because whenever I put the FJR on the tender after several weeks on non-use, the tender glows amber for just seconds then reads fully charged.
Probably works just fine. Not much draw on a non-used battery.

Hi Guys, I have a battery tender from 2002 I used on an RT with a non gel type battery. Will this work with the battery on my 08 FJR? Has battery technology changed in the past 6 Years? I ask this because whenever I put the FJR on the tender after several weeks on non-use, the tender glows amber for just seconds then reads fully charged. Thanks! Barry
why not test it by leaving the headlights on for 10 mins or so before you connect the batt tender? Btw, i've seen this behavior from my batt tender sometimes and mine is about 6 months old.

I have a new battery tender and this winter after my fjr sat for two to three weeks, the charger did the same thing. It is probably working just fine.

This has worked better for me. It is designed to be used with the new batteries:
Optimate III at Bike Effects

Discount available. See the link below.

Jeff,

What is the plug configuration of the Optimate? The connectors appear to possibly be different than the standard battery tender SAE connector. Or are they compatible with the SAE plugs? Is it just that they are white plastic instead of black?

The reason I ask is I already have all my vehicles set-up with battery tender cables, so recabling all of them would be an added expense. In fact I think it would be easier to make an SAE connector / adapter on the Optimate, rather than changing over all the vehicles...

[edit] I googled around a bit and think I have answered my own question(s). It appears that the Optimate connectors are different than standard SAE connectors, and people are selling adaptor cables.

632925461558002740i46804.jpg

But I also found that there is a different (newer) Optimate model that already comes with the SAE connector and has a splashproof case.

optimate3(1).jpg

Here's a link to their web site: TecMate

The model number for these is Optimate 3+. Can you get these?

Last edited by a moderator:

Splashproof? FINALLY! Something I can mount next to my urinal!

I didn't see a penis adapter listed in that kit... <_<

As Jeff at Bike Effects doesn't have this particular model listed on his web site, and since I need a better battery charger NOW, I searched around and found a vendor that listed these at an attractive price and ordered one up. In fact it has already shipped, so they are clearly in stock. I will be the guinea pig on this one and report back on how it works, no penis adapter notwithstanding.

To me this just looks like a better mousetrap. Standard connectors, splash-proof case, wall mount included...

To me this just looks like a better mousetrap. Standard connectors, splash-proof case, wall mount included...
Speaking of which...

(Possible "Dumb Question Alert!)

Can a Battery Tender be hooked up through the "cigarette lighter" port in the "glove box" of an 08? Or is the power there an "outie" and not an "innie" electricity wise?

I was lucky and didn't have to put my bike up for the winter but I'd still like to "tender" it on occasion. If a tender can be easily plugged into the already available (and never used by me) power port, that would be the simplest solution.

But I also found that there is a different (newer) Optimate model that already comes with the SAE connector and has a splashproof case.
There is also an Optimate 4

I will be the guinea pig on this one and report back on how it works, ...
Thanks Fred. While waiting for your full report, I found these reviews at webBikeWorld®:

OptiMate 3 Battery Charger

OptiMate 4 Battery Charger

I also found an article on how to build your own Home Made Lead-Acid Battery Desulfator

Battery Tender Plus is a multi-stage charger capable of desulfating a battery

Optimate is a multi-stage charger capable of desulfating a battery

The question for me is: Is the OptiMate 4 superior to the Battery Tender Plus?

Can a Battery Tender be hooked up through the "cigarette lighter" port in the "glove box" of an 08? Or is the power there an "outie" and not an "innie" electricity wise?
Shawn IIRC these are switched outlets... You'd have to leave the key in the on position. 'lectricity ain't gonna care what way it goes..

Don't know if the tender would keep up with the draw from whatever is on, probably not..

:jester:

(Possible "Dumb Question Alert!)

I was lucky and didn't have to put my bike up for the winter but I'd still like to "tender" it on occasion. If a tender can be easily plugged into the already available (and never used by me) power port, that would be the simplest solution.
Not a dumb question. The glove box port doesn't work because it's switched, (key must be on for power), but if you mount an unswitched power port, (powerlet socket), or even a cig style one somewhere, yes it can be used for charging. I have a unswitched powerlet port on the 'D' panel of my '04 that I use for charging with my Optimate 3.

And yes, both the Optimate 3 and 4 are better than the Battery Tender Plus. Two reasons; The Optimate chargers have a higher float voltage that is beneficial for AGM, (Absorbent Glass Matt), batteries and the desulfate cycle really does work. I keep my FJR hooked up all the time when it's in the garage. I only got the Optimate 3 a couple of years ago, but the first time I hooked it up, it diagnosed the battery and did the desulfate cycle. That battery was seeming a little sketchy at that point and I got the charger thinking I'd still be replacing the battery soon. It's still in the bike now after 93k and 5 years plus, still going strong and much better than before I was using the charger. I do believe the desulfating cycle made a significant improvement to my overall battery condition. Even on trips away, the bike still starts strong and doesn't seem like the battery is weak.

You can get a cig plug adapter for the Optimate as well as the SAE plug adapter and it comes with a regular pigtail with the Optimate plug, as well as a line with clamps on one end and the Optimate plug on the other for generic use or use on a loose battery.

FYI - if you choose to mount a cig style port on the bike, be aware that there are cigarette lighters and Power Ports in that configuration. Power Ports are heavier gauge and better for this application. Also, any power port should have an inline fuse, regardless of the style you choose.

LINKY for powerlet parts and kits.

There is also an Optimate 4

I will be the guinea pig on this one and report back on how it works, ...
Thanks Fred. While waiting for your full report, I found these reviews at webBikeWorld®:

OptiMate 3 Battery Charger

OptiMate 4 Battery Charger

I also found an article on how to build your own Home Made Lead-Acid Battery Desulfator

Battery Tender Plus is a multi-stage charger capable of desulfating a battery

Optimate is a multi-stage charger capable of desulfating a battery

The question for me is: Is the OptiMate 4 superior to the Battery Tender Plus?
Thanks for the links to the Optimate 3 & 4 reviews. I'll read them completely, shortly. The unit that I purchased is a 3+, which is also a desulphator. It seems like a hybrid between the two units in the reviews. The best part is I found it for $41 at HandsonTools.com.

Shawn IIRC these are switched outlets... You'd have to leave the key in the on position. 'lectricity ain't gonna care what way it goes..Don't know if the tender would keep up with the draw from whatever is on, probably not..
Aha! That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info. I'll look for other solutions then.

Shawn IIRC these are switched outlets... You'd have to leave the key in the on position. 'lectricity ain't gonna care what way it goes..Don't know if the tender would keep up with the draw from whatever is on, probably not..
Aha! That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info. I'll look for other solutions then.

I've got one unswitched Powerlet outlet on my feej and made an adapter so I can just plug my Battery Tender right into that. Works fine. Just make sure you observe polarity when making your adapter. :eek:

I've got one unswitched Powerlet outlet on my feej and made an adapter so I can just plug my Battery Tender right into that. Works fine. Just make sure you observe polarity when making your adapter. :eek:
That cheap fuker I sold ya actually works??? Well, slap my ass an call me odot!!!!!!

Shawn IIRC these are switched outlets... You'd have to leave the key in the on position. 'lectricity ain't gonna care what way it goes..

Don't know if the tender would keep up with the draw from whatever is on, probably not..

You know better than that if flows in the opposite direction in England. :D

You'll blow the 3 amp fuse plugging in a battery tender to the stock cigarette lighter socket. Don't ask how I know :glare:

But it is now rewired with heavier wire and a 15 amp fuse and ready to go as a switched source for my air pump, tender, or whatever. I also have a powerlet unswitched socket on the side I use when I pull into the garage for the 'tender.