Battery Tender Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys, I have a battery tender from 2002 I used on an RT with a non gel type battery. Will this work with the battery on my 08 FJR? Has battery technology changed in the past 6 Years? I ask this because whenever I put the FJR on the tender after several weeks on non-use, the tender glows amber for just seconds then reads fully charged. Thanks! Barry
Whilst we are in the process of not answering your question, the newer Battery Tenders are just fine with gel batteries. Battery tender introduced a new model a long time ago to replace the version that was not compatible with gel batteries. I don't recall when this was, but I bought my tender in the late 90's and it was made for use with gel batteries. This used to be in the FAQ section on the company website, but I couldn't find it there this morning.

Hi Guys, I have a battery tender from 2002 I used on an RT with a non gel type battery. Will this work with the battery on my 08 FJR? Has battery technology changed in the past 6 Years? I ask this because whenever I put the FJR on the tender after several weeks on non-use, the tender glows amber for just seconds then reads fully charged. Thanks! Barry
Whilst we are in the process of not answering your question, the newer Battery Tenders are just fine with gel AGM batteries. Battery tender introduced a new model a long time ago to replace the version that was not compatible with gelAGM batteries. I don't recall when this was, but I bought my tender in the late 90's and it was made for use with gelAGM batteries. This used to be in the FAQ section on the company website, but I couldn't find it there this morning.
Fixed it for you. A gel battery is a completely different animal than an absorbent glass mat battery. I don't believe any current moto batter is of the gel type. Gel and AGM batteries each have different charging requirements, and also different from liquid acid/lead batteries.

@v65 - Still got the owner's info for your charger? I'm curious what the float voltage is on it.

All FJRs come with AGM batteries. My concern is that the float voltage on the OP's charger is too low and it is going 'green' before the battery is actually fully charged. Which is a common problem with chargers not appropriate for AGM batteries and can lead to shortened battery life.