Battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Original owner of my '03 took delivery in August of '02 and put 1,300 miles on it. I bought it in Feb. of '03 ($9,000 cash!) and rode it five seasons ('03-'07). At the end of '07, with about 40,000 miles, went to fire it up one morning and it turned over slowly and clock reset; this after a full day of riding the day previous. Then it fired up. I believed the symptoms demonstrated a weakening battery. Replaced it and have had no trouble. Since I live at 5,400 feet of elevation in Montana, the winters get gottdamnded cold so the battery has always come in the house during the annual layup and is topped with a battery tender.

4 years is about right to replace as preventative maintenance here in the deep south with heat/vibration a killer...on the battery as well :rolleyes:

I have an inverter to run my workshop power and just plug it into the powerlet, so maybe that's why I only get a month outta my bike batteries :blink:

Mike "no electrical engineer when I can't see or grab dem dang electrons" in Nawlins'

Have an 05 FJR and original battery, keep it tended in the winter months and it shows no signs of needing replaced. Just wondering how people decide when it is time to get a new battery ?
My 2005 will be four years old in May. My sons 2004 is showing battery issues an I figured 84,000 miles and getting close ot four years it couldn't hurt. Got a Wesco for about $88.

Ed

Have an 05 FJR and original battery, keep it tended in the winter months and it shows no signs of needing replaced. Just wondering how people decide when it is time to get a new battery ?
When the starter won't turn the engine over. :yahoo:
when it won't keep the correct time...

03' model, and I just replaced the original battery...it kept resetting the trip meter and clock when making hot-starts...

Not yet on my '06 but, after some adventures on my friends POS BMW RT (will write it up when I get the pictures sent to me), I'm a firm believer is replacing the battery every three years regardless. I consider it cheap insurance, the battery is a "wear item" like brakes and tires.

Replaced on my 06 at 2 years, as a maintenance item. Thought it was time, as I'd left the GPS turned on and drained it flat. (twice) Still have the old battery, use it for stuff on my workbench.

And YES, buy from Jeff at BikeEffects.com, one of WFO8's sponsors !!! (and you get a forum discount !!)

'03 model replaced at 3 1/2 years -- it needed it.

Now on my 3rd battery, a Westco from Jeff at BikeEffects -- great guy to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine bit the big one this morning-screwed me out of 300 miles in the Adirondacks. The big 1300 would barely turn over- Mr. Datel read 12.2 after sitting overnite off the Tender-I didn't notice the low reading before probably because I always plug in the Tender. I guess I could have rolled it down the driveway and bumped it but didn't want to take a chance on it happening again on top of Whiteface or some other forsaken place tho it definitely would start rolling down that grade..also didn't want to load the stator all day..this battery was the original and less that 3 years old. Pretty dinky battery if you ask me. New Westco on the way from bike effects..

A quick question.

Please understand I don't want to appear to be in any way negative, but I've had many bad experiences with aftermarket batteries in everything from cars, over the road diesel trucks, and an airplane so I am a bit "suspicious" of aftermarket batteries, just as I am for many "rebuilt" components such as alternators, starters, brake master cylinders, etc.

So, with the disclaimer in place: Is it commonly thought by the collective wisdom on the board that the Westco battery offered at an excellent price by Jeff at BikeEffects is fully as good as the original equipment, more expensive (Yuasa?) battery that Mama Yama installed as OE?

Or is it an "OK" replacement that should not be counted on to last as long as the more expensive Westco?

Thanks for your input!

Don

A quick question.
Please understand I don't want to appear to be in any way negative, but I've had many bad experiences with aftermarket batteries in everything from cars, over the road diesel trucks, and an airplane so I am a bit "suspicious" of aftermarket batteries, just as I am for many "rebuilt" components such as alternators, starters, brake master cylinders, etc.

So, with the disclaimer in place: Is it commonly thought by the collective wisdom on the board that the Westco battery offered at an excellent price by Jeff at BikeEffects is fully as good as the original equipment, more expensive (Yuasa?) battery that Mama Yama installed as OE?

Or is it an "OK" replacement that should not be counted on to last as long as the more expensive Westco?

Thanks for your input!

Don

My only experience with Westco batteries was in my CBR1100XX. The battery died in only 4 months. I removed it, reinstalled the 2 year old Yuasa and it's been working perfectly for the past 2 1/2 years. I think that I'll just stick with Yuasa batteries in the future

Purchased my 2003 FJR October 18 2002 . Still running original battery . Got approx. 39,000 miles on it . Getting a little weak and may have to replace it this fall .

I use an old cell phone charger to keep battery up over the winter months . I Wired in a 12 volt light bulb in seriese on my positive lead from the charger and it dims as battery charge level rises . This charger puts out 12 volts at 500mA and seams to work well .

A quick question. (Yuasa?) battery that Mama Yama installed as OE?

Thanks for your input!
MamaYama may have installed (OE) a "GS" battery, or some other from a Japanese manufacturer.

Not that it changes the gist of your question any.....

y/w

A Yuasa you buy from a U.S. distributor/dealer may be a 'Yuasa' in name only -- IOW, (some?) inferior to the OEM-Factory-Install. :unsure:

05 OEM lasted 4 years, replaced with Westco. Clock would reset on cold starts. Survived the tortuous NV desert heat for 4 years. I was thrilled. Dry desert heat is hell on a battery.

My WestCo is 3 mos. old. :glare: It's wimpy, as in 12.7 oob. I should have sent it back. Didn't buy from Bikeeffects, btw.