Battery's slow cranking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bang-n-gearz

Reaction score
Well I noticed past few months bike's clock would need reset from time to time. Plus low reading on Datel like 12.2 with key on etc. Obviously cold in this here neck of the woods, and went out to just crank her up and nadda.

I am the second owner, and with only approx. 12.k miles I assume it's the original battery, but have not looked. Guess couldn't ask for better time, she's in the garage and seat is off getting spencerized.

I don't know much but thank God I know how to google and use the search button. So I aint really asking nothing... just bored and wanted to "share" :clapping:

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now

Buck

Dallas TX

In the words of Mr. Patriot... be careful out there. I won't forget the 10% discount either :p

You are so lucky this isn't Friday... I'd call dogpile for you suggesting cold and Dallas together... ;)

We all know you guys are faking the news stories, too, so don't try to wiggle outta this one... ;)

note to self...ride safe and be careful out there...

dunderhead, idiotic moment today...

one of my main twisty roads today...haven't ridden by 200 mi of slab, and today's first twisty 25 mi along the bayou of a 200 miles day...all this with no riding and downed bike since July 28th.

sweepers, geting cocky, enjoying the breezy, clear - blue sky, in the 50's and geared up perfectly for the temps.

some marked 20mph 75 degree turns to the right which right handers seem a good bit easier than lefties for me

a lefty then righty which I'm feeling out

my bud Nick is a ways behind and I'm looking in the rear view and see his lights coming

I then accelerate and knowing this road, I'm looking forward to the tight right hander after the bridge over the bayou

Well, dum dum cudda ay triot the big one as there's the left hand, decreasing radius 135 degree turn with perfectly flat road.

Lose my concentration and confidence, feel like I'm kinda hot going in, start to kick left, pucker, stab the back brake, stand up the bike, let off throttle and brake, try to kick left, cross well over the double yellow, look up through the turn saying my prayers, no vehicle coming or in sight, scrubbed off some velocity and get some confidence and reflexes back, kick harder left and cross back over, then adjust and stay in lane to complete the turn. Of the 135 degrees of a circle the turn is, I guess 90 degrees or 2/3's of it, I'm over the double yellow. Saying prayers of thanx the rest of the day.

Need to revert to three clicks conservative and take the time to get back good riding habits, reflexes, and riders common sense.

Glad to be here,

Mike

in Nawlins'

Mike,

I'm not a teacher. Just another doubting disciple and I'm still a learnin' the ways of the ninja riders.

But lately when I get that sphincter tightening sensation that I might be a scosche too hot for a given corner, I'm literally forcing myself to think:

"Lean the bike over more, dope..." and "Get yer damned fat body to the inside..."

If there aren't any big sparks happening already, chances are you can hold your line without the "straighten up and brake" routine that puts you in the oncoming lane.

I think that is some bad juju being propagated (inadvertently?) by the MSF.

The mantra is: "Ride the bike"

Ride safe bud.

Back on topic: Yeah a battery. Yeah Bike effects. Yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,
I'm not a teacher. Just another doubting disciple and I'm still a learnin' the ways of the ninja riders.

But lately when I get that sphincter tightening sensation that I might be a scosche too hot for a given corner, I'm literally forcing myself to think:

"Lean the bike over more, dope..." and "Get yer damned fat body to the inside..."

If there aren't any big sparks happening already, chances are you can hold your line without the "straighten up and brake" routine that puts you in the oncoming lane.

I think that is some bad juju being propagated (inadvertently?) by the MSF.

The mantra is: "Ride the bike"

Ride safe bud.

Back on topic: Yeah a battery. Yeah Bike effects. Yeah.
Amen, Fred...thanx

Yikes, $100 for a battery!! Mine may need replacing as well, ouch.
Price it at the dealer, you will feel good about a C-note. 5 years and 40K on mine when it took a crap yesterday, yes it's a mere 25 degrees in Dallas. I am going to batteries plus tomorrow to paruse their gel-cells.

Hard to believe all of our 05 batteries are crapping out at almost the same time.

I looked on line at Batteries Plus, but only found a sealed acid for around $100.

I was looking for one called Odyssey, sealed gel, mil spec., Batteries Plus is supposed to carry them, but couldn't find on their web site.

Post up what you find.

Thanks

Mark

None of the Odyssey batterys will fit in the space provided on an FJR.

You really have only 3 choices. OEM (Yuasa), WestCo. or Chinese no-names.

I didn't save the link (only the text), but someone recently posted info about battery availability for the FJR:

Parts Unlimited now makes an YT14B-BS ACM maintenance free battery for the FJR, part number 2113-0092. It is manufactured for Parts Unlimited by Yuasa. (Many PU branded batteries even include paperwork that has the Yuasa name and logo on it.) The best part is, they retail for $74.95.

Parts Unlimited is a huge supplier of bike parts to dealers nationwide, so any local bike shop can probably get this battery. Note: my 07 battery is still fine, so I haven't actually tried this new battery. I'll probably get it when needed.

I didn't save the link (only the text), but someone recently posted info about battery availability for the FJR:
Parts Unlimited now makes an YT14B-BS ACM maintenance free battery for the FJR, part number 2113-0092. It is manufactured for Parts Unlimited by Yuasa. (Many PU branded batteries even include paperwork that has the Yuasa name and logo on it.) The best part is, they retail for $74.95.

Parts Unlimited is a huge supplier of bike parts to dealers nationwide, so any local bike shop can probably get this battery. Note: my 07 battery is still fine, so I haven't actually tried this new battery. I'll probably get it when needed.
Now we're talking!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yepper, none of the Odyssey batteries cross over......way too big and $139. Battery Plus GT14B-4 sealed was $79 so I got one.

Parts shark has the OEM for $103 and I did not check bike effects.

Had to change mine last week. Got online at westco(link can be found here in the bin0facts). Ninety bucks in the end and shipped to my door in four days. Ordered it on thursday and got it on monday. Battery was in the scoot since I bought it new in 05. She lasted through four years and one nifty accident. How does one push start a scoot with fuel injection?

Had to change mine last week. Got online at westco(link can be found here in the bin0facts). Ninety bucks in the end and shipped to my door in four days. Ordered it on thursday and got it on monday. Battery was in the scoot since I bought it new in 05. She lasted through four years and one nifty accident. How does one push start a scoot with fuel injection?
Or, get the same battery, same delivery for less money.

WestCo Battery at Bike Effects

See discount information link below.

Jeff at Bike Effects is the FJR owners friend. Got my Westco from him delivered in a couple days for under$80 if I remember right. Plus a real decent guy to deal with.

BTW, the new battery cranks it over noticeably faster than the OE worn out battery. Guess it was time.

The new battery is ready to go right out of the box. No charging required

I've had good service from Westco batteries so I'll be heading to Bike Effects for my battery. I've been with other riders that had a battery die (after 4+ years) in Casper, WY on our way to Montana and I learned then that it's better to change a battery a year or two too soon than wait one day too long.

OBD

Jeff at Bike Effects is the FJR owners friend. Got my Westco from him delivered in a couple days for under$80 if I remember right. Plus a real decent guy to deal with.
BTW, the new battery cranks it over noticeably faster than the OE worn out battery. Guess it was time.

The new battery is ready to go right out of the box. No charging required
+1!