• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Bell Revolver Modular Helmet Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought and used once, the Bell Revolver modular helmet. I’ve enclosed the link to the Webike Review, and I’ll include my comments. I currently have a HJC IS-16, I really like and fits well.

I’ve worn a good variety of street helmets over the years, Bell’s, Shoei’s, Arai’s, HJC…

Webbikeworld Bell Revolver Review clicky.

First off I am NOT a fan of modular helmets, I don’t trust the chin guard’s to stay in place on an impact to them. Just me maybe, but that’s the way I am. ;)

That being said, I saw the look of this helmet online and really liked it. I thought I have to at least try one, but I didn’t want to spend the big $$. I also like the internal sun visor, that’ll be in all my future helmets since my HJC, I just wish the sun visors were darker. The retail price for this helmet ranged from $199-$219, the one I purchased was on sale at Cycle Gear (online only, no store had these so I couldn’t try one on beforehand) for $99, I hesitated and pulled the trigger during and even better Cycle Gear sale for $79! I received it and discovered a few things. I bought and wear a Large helmet fine in most manufactures helmets, this was tight for me and I thought it would have pressure points. I wore it at home in the house for a few hours and after a nasty headache it conformed to my head and it no longer hurt when wearing it. The manual is all about how to strap it on properly, nothing else. No info on anything else, just CYA.

I had to contact Bell Support to ask for information on removing/installing the face shield, internal sun visor, and liner/cheek pads. Bells customer service was excellent (Cheri helped me, she was very kind and informative), they promptly returned my E-mails, answered my questions, sent me a couple pdf’s on sun visor and face shield removal/installation. They wrote me and explained the head liner & cheek pads, I had the check pads figured out, the liner I didn’t want to screw up. They also sent me a chin curtain, free! I asked how I could order one and they sent it. My feedback to Bell was don’t be so cheap and include a comprehensive manual to help others with my questions.

I took off on the frwy for about 20 minutes and at low speeds (street) the helmet is very quiet, at freeway speeds it’s noisier than my HJC which I consider a fairly noisy. I wear ear plugs so it was fine on noise. The helmet fits well with the exception of the chin strap, it cuts me on my neck not just under my chin. It is almost like being choked a little, the more you tilt the helmet forward, the deeper it wants to cut into your throat, never had a helmet do this before.

The face shield is actually noisy when actuating up and down, it’s weird. The internal sun visor works fine wish it was darker though, that goes with my HJC as well. The interesting thing I noticed with the sun visor down was that I was seeing weird things flying by and I didn’t even borrow Old Michaels or Papa Chuy’s special Irish mushrooms. What was happening was the reflection of the landscape was being projecting into the edge of the sun visor where it’s cut, and I could see it in my peripheral vision. That may take some getting used to since I’m already looking for cages coming into my peripheral vision.

Another item I figured out and would have been more simple if in a comprehensive manual, the sun visor drooped down when in the up position. Bell stated this should not be drooping in the up position. If you look closely at some of the photos of the helmet you’ll see it hanging down about an inch or so. What I discovered was there’s a detent in both up and down position, when I pushed harder the sun visor did properly lock into place in both positions.

A few other items I noticed:

1) the front chin vent is a little hard to find with cloves on, and my gloves were just leather day riding gloves, not thick winter gloves. That may be just something to get used to.

2) The airflow is poor at best with the top vents open, I could not feel any difference with the front top vents open of closed. Upon closer inspection vents in the helmet, the Styrofoam has a hole to the vent. This vent hole does not seat to the hole in the helmet, it leaves a gap and there’s even a bigger gap at the top of the Styrofoam so the air essentially goes in, and between the outside of the Styrofoam and the inner shell, not very good. My HJC has this little hole lined up well and the Styrofoam meets it well, I can feel the airflow big time in the HJC. Unlike the video review, my upper vents did have a ratcheting effect when opening and closing, worked fine and easy to get to

3) Even with the chin curtain a great deal of air gets into the helmet around your face. In the cold this may be a little chilly, probably also contributes to poor head vent airflow due to positive pressure within the helmet.

4) There is no locking mechanism for locking the shield down, I don’t get this at all.

Otherwise, it fits nice with exception to the chin strap, the modular chin bar works great going up and down, easy to unlatch and latch. One thing I notice is the nose guard on the inside of the helmet rubs and may get torn off eventually when opening the chin bar, closing is not an issue.

I like the sun visor, works well. The styling of the helmet is bitchin’, period! The helmet is a little wider than my HJC due to mechanism for the chin bar, but the helmet does not feel heavy.

All in all for a $100 -$200 modular helmet doesn’t seem too bad. I’m sure there are far better modulars out there for more $$, for Bell’s and mine first modular helmet and the price it doesn’t seem too bad. Mind you I’ve never owned the perfect helmet yet. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's apparent you don't wear glasses.

I was going to buy a Revolver and held off until I could try one out. Local Kawi dealer had a bunch in stock. Found one that fit than tried to put my glasses on.

W.T.F!

The designers of this helmet should be shot. I'd wager that the vast majority of people buying a modular wear glasses. It's just that much easier to get them on and off (or just leave them on!). The way the temple liners are designed, the only way you could wear glasses with this helmet is if the arms of your glasses rode about 2" above the top of your ears! The 'slot' in the liner is WAY up high. Wearing glasses wear their 'supposed' to be finds the liner pressing them *hard* into the side of your head.

Complete and total deal breaker for me. I suppose that's why their clearing them out now.

However, I did try on an RS-1 and I've never had helmet that fit me this well EVER. Super comfortable, eerily quiet, vents like crazy, not heavy. It was more than I ever spent on a helmet in my life but it was worth it. I miss the internal visor on my IS-16, but that was by far the loudest helmet I've ever had. It was even noisy with ear plugs. I still wear the IS-16 for running back and forth to work on, simply because I ride into the sun on both commutes. If I ding it up. Oh well.

As for the Revolver, maybe when they redesign the liners after the current stock is sold out, I'll take another look at it. I've never had a modular and I do think I'd like it a lot. I do like the look a lot! It looks very much like the RS-1 and Star.

Very nicely done, Simon.

(Have you ever tried on a Multitec?

...The way the temple liners are designed, the only way you could wear glasses with this helmet is if the arms of your glasses rode about 2" above the top of your ears! The 'slot' in the liner is WAY up high....
Maybe your ears are mounted too low, Magellan?

tongue.gif
laugh.gif

I also bought the same helmet and I'm about to exchange it for the 2nd time for a larger one.

According to their measurement guide, I ordered a LG, way too tight, so I exchanged it for an XL which is also very tight. I will exchange it again for a XXL.

For the price it seems to be a good buy.

I agree with FJRBluesman about never having the perfect helmet.

The closest thing so far has been the HJC Symax II. It works well but it is far from being perfect. It is not user friendly if you wear glasses, they will ride 2" above your ears and that would be my biggest complaint.

As far as the drop down sun visor being not dark enough, I found a dark pair at a local dealership.

Another thing to consider(and you will probable think I am crazy)is the amber tint visor. I was given a pair and tried them. At first they freaked me out because they are bright and colors are vivid, but in a short time I really liked them, even riding on bright sunny days in the desert. Now that I am used to them they are a permanent fixture on the helmet.

Buying a helmet is a big PITA as far as I am concerned, you have to wear it in the store for at least 20 minutes or more and then when you get on the motorcycle it could be a different story as to fit and comfort.

As far as buying one, I would have to put one on my head before I spent any money on it.

Oh well, just my 2 cents.

Very nicely done, Simon.

(Have you ever tried on a Multitec?

...The way the temple liners are designed, the only way you could wear glasses with this helmet is if the arms of your glasses rode about 2" above the top of your ears! The 'slot' in the liner is WAY up high....
Maybe your ears are mounted too low, Magellan?

tongue.gif
laugh.gif
Brother Mick, I just wish there were other FJR Forum Reviews on this Bell Revolver Modular Helmet besides FJRBluesman and Bungie. I mean come on, the heads on those two are only worth about $19.95 apiece retail, I would much rather hear from someone with at least a $129.95 head like ShinyPartsUp! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

This is great link for helmet reviews in the UK. The nice thing about the modulars is that they test the chin bar opening up.

Take this for what its worth since these are European helmets being tested.

My link

Good review Simon. I currently have a Shoei Multitec, HJC Symax II, and the HJC IS-MAX. All modular helemts. My favorite is the HJC IS-MAX. Just fits me really well. And fortunately only around $165.

I bought one when they first came out. It felt like it fit fine, until I got it out on the road. Something was wrong, and maybe I needed to go up a size, but it was unbearable. Took it back and got a refund. One of the big selling points that I was interested was the availability of a transition shield. I have yet to find any other helmet that has that capability.

Another thing about Bell customer service. Not that I’m really wild about this helmet but… My helmet fell off my motorcycle seat as I was wrestling my laptop into my saddlebag at work. The helmet landed on one of the plastic rear vents and scratched the shield. The rear vent was cracked pretty good. I contacted Cheri again at Bell, told her what happened and asked how to order the new vent and if it was even possible to get. A few days later I receive a full kit of plastic parts for all the vents etc. No cost to me.

I have to say one thing about Bell, they have kept me extremely satisfied! They get 10 Stars! Huge Props to Bell’s customer service!

I just purchased one of these at the $99 price as well... haven't had a chance to test it out yet but have a trip to Baja coming up and planning to put it through its paces. :D

EDIT: My previous Bell Star was spectacular although it seemed to run a little small size-wise.... very comfortable helmet and I would highly recommend it. :2cents

^^^ Tyler - Another thing I forgot to mention the little strap magnet goodie fall off. I could have glued it with Gorilla glue or something but I contacted Cheri and she sent me out a little kit to fix it, shrink tubing, another magnet, and instructions. I had to use a torch lighter to get the tubing to shrink down enough, it's really not that pretty, and I should have just glued it back myself, which I may still do. But service has been superlative!

The couple things that really bug me about this helmet are:

1) Zero air flow thru top helmet vents. I ride to work 40º weather (the vents were open and I didn't even know it), I feel nothin'.

2) Helmet strap is located too low on the neck, chokes me, I really have to mess with it to get it to where it's ok.

3) The chin bar is way too close to your chin.

4) It's very noisy.

Otherwise it's a kick for the price, it was worth the try, I have no regrets.

Enjoy. ;)

^^^ Tyler - Another thing I forgot to mention the little strap magnet goodie fall off. I could have glued it with Gorilla glue or something but I contacted Cheri and she sent me out a little kit to fix it, shrink tubing, another magnet, and instructions. I had to use a torch lighter to get the tubing to shrink down enough, it's really not that pretty, and I should have just glued it back myself, which I may still do. But service has been superlative!

The couple things that really bug me about this helmet are:

1) Zero air flow thru top helmet vents. I ride to work 40º weather (the vents were open and I didn't even know it), I feel nothin'.

2) Helmet strap is located too low on the neck, chokes me, I really have to mess with it to get it to where it's ok.

3) The chin bar is way too close to your chin.

4) It's very noisy.

Otherwise it's a kick for the price, it was worth the try, I have no regrets.

Enjoy. ;)
Welp, I ordered one and have worn it on a couple of day rides and am very pleased. Love the ability to flip it up to talk to people, drink water, etc. Haven't ridden in really warm weather so no issues thus far with air flow. No problem with helmet strap or magnet. Chin bar is closer than other helmets but not an issue for me. It's actually quieter than my Scorpion helmet. The visor opening is a little narrower toward the bottom than normal so I can't look down real quick at the speedo without tipping my head a bit... that's probably the only "issue" I have with it. Very happy with the purchase and will be giving it a run for it's money to Baja in about a week! B)

Thanks for the feedback, Simon!! :)

I tried several modulars and finally wound up purchasing a FJR (forgot the model name) and it is fairly noisy also. I'm beginning to think it's the nature of the beast.

I bought the modular primarily for summer riding in Texas but it really doesn't do the job. I finally bought a Shoei open face last Summer when it was 100F for weeks at a time. It's a very well made and good fitting helmet and the sides protrude more than the average open face which might help the ol chin in a fall.

I also own a full face Icon which I like very much and wear it most of the time. I still like the idea of the modular and may give it another try this Summer. :)

I bought a Bell Revolver for pretty much the same reasons as the OP. Very low price, sun visor and style. Wear a HCJ CL-16 in Medium os ordered the same in Bell. Same snug fit as the Bell Star 360's I wore 40 years ago. Noticeable at first but soon goes away. The CL-16 feels loose afterwards though. Chin strap is impossible for me with Coretech Winter Gloves on. I've learned to fasten the strap before putting on liners and gloves. Hi-Viz is more Yellow than Hi=viz to my eyes but since I know I have some color blindness I make an exception. Really noticeablt next to the Transition II Hi-Viz jackt. Noiser than the CL-16 but the earplugs take care of most of that. Lots of air under the chin so no problem with fogging here in the PNW. Chin curtain seems to catch and fold upwards when I lower the visor. Maybe technique? Biggest issue is that I cannot see the instrument panel without tilting my head down. I have the helmet tilted down in front as much as possible but still have to tilt my head down. It is still cold in the PNW so I can't comment on warm weather wearability. I've only had the FJR since May of '09 so can't gauge speed reliably yet. It is so smooth and quiet that I don't think I ever will. The definitive helmet purchase list is going to inclue verifying I can see the instrument panel while seated on the bike. Small point maybe but it bothers me.