Bent rims :(

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryM

Reaction score
on the highway while I was riding home from work and bent both my rims. The front is bent in about 3/16" on both sides and there is a "flat spot" along the inside of the rim (where the spokes would connect if it had any).

The back is better, the rim lip on one side is rolled back maybe 1/8" of an inch.

So what are my options here? Try to have them straightened or do I have to replace them? Should I call my insurance agent or pay out of pocket? Anyone know where to find a deal on a set of rims?

FYI, it is a 2005.

A few details if you are bored. I was going about 75 and the concrete piece was about 3"x12"x12". The bike jumped a bit and shuddered for a moment when I hit it then was stable again. I pulled over and looked at the rims. They looked good enough to get home on so I went for it. Looking at them closer I see no cracks or sharp creases. Of course the silver paint and clear coat could be hiding a small crack. I will check them again tomorrow to see if they are losing any air.

There has been prior threads around here about folks getting them repaired. Some would, and some wouldn't. Otherwise it's replace.

And I know where you can get a deal on a set of non-abs rims. ;) The problem is, in about 36 hours I leave and will be on the road for the next three weeks. I won't have time to get them out before I leave.

I would turn it into insurance and get a pair of new ones, then send the old ones off for repair. Having a set of spare wheels with fresh tires would be very nice.

I believe I've seen a good recommendation from HaulinAshe on a place that does a great job of repairing bent rims.

I would turn it into insurance and get a pair of new ones, then send the old ones off for repair. Having a set of spare wheels with fresh tires would be very nice.

Yeah it should be covered by comprehensive coverage. Should be a very low deductable for it.

on the highway while I was riding home from work and bent both my rims. The front is bent in about 3/16" on both sides and there is a "flat spot" along the inside of the rim (where the spokes would connect if it had any).

The back is better, the rim lip on one side is rolled back maybe 1/8" of an inch.

So what are my options here? Try to have them straightened or do I have to replace them? Should I call my insurance agent or pay out of pocket? Anyone know where to find a deal on a set of rims?

FYI, it is a 2005.

A few details if you are bored. I was going about 75 and the concrete piece was about 3"x12"x12". The bike jumped a bit and shuddered for a moment when I hit it then was stable again. I pulled over and looked at the rims. They looked good enough to get home on so I went for it. Looking at them closer I see no cracks or sharp creases. Of course the silver paint and clear coat could be hiding a small crack. I will check them again tomorrow to see if they are losing any air.
Roger that! I had a couple of cinder blocks come off the back of a truck some years ago while riding my fzr. Missed 1 hit the other on a bad bounce. Scary stuff. When it come to safety this is a no brainer. You pay good money for insurance, use it. That will remove the "I wonder" factor and allow you to get back on the road.

And throw those old tyres away (however few miles they have on them).

They must have cord damage after a hit like that.

M.C. Wheel

639 W. Swanzey rd

Swanzey, NH 03446

888-MC Wheel. Try these guys, they did a perfect on my front wheel about a month ago. Remounted tire with no issues on wheel or tire. I was more worried about the tire than the wheel. Just came back from deals gap and surrounding area, with no problem. I think the price was $160.00 to bring to racing specs, if your insurance doesn't pay give them a try. Alex Gilmore

M.C. Wheel

639 W. Swanzey rd

Swanzey, NH 03446

888-MC Wheel. Try these guys, they did a perfect on my front wheel about a month ago. Remounted tire with no issues on wheel or tire. I was more worried about the tire than the wheel. Just came back from deals gap and surrounding area, with no problem. I think the price was $160.00 to bring to racing specs, if your insurance doesn't pay give them a try. Alex Gilmore

I've got a rear '08 black rim collecting dust that these guys straightned about a year ago. Just the rim. I can send a pic if interested.

CRAP - just saw you have a GenI.

Anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator: