Best aftermarket shock for the Feejer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmagg

Reaction score
Is there a consensus on what's the best aftermarket shock for the FJR? I have an 05 with 33k+ miles and think it's seen it's better handling days. Ohlin, I believe are the most expensive - are they the best according to the riders?

I realize everyone will prolly have a slightly different opinion but I'm looking for any guidance you might give. Thanks for taking the time to discuss and I appreciate your input.

Talk to Dave at GP Suspension Linky and tell him how you ride, solo or two up, etc. He has both Ohlins and Penski, the latter being the higer end.

Ohlins makes a good shock, but if it's not set up for the FJR, you just get a generic shock, which isn't always that great. Dave can set up anything for you, but those are the two he works with for the FJR right now. There are some options in both brands, depending on your budget and how good you are at adjusting your suspension.

I have a Wilbers, that GP has re-sprung and re-built once it wore enough to require a rebuild. Quite happy with it, but the US distributor has changed and I'm unsure of availability at this time.

There is no consensus.

They are all good, and most will say which ever brand they have is the best.

For instance: I have a Wilbers and it's the BEST!

I also have the "best" - Wilbers. Now that I have replaced the spring and have had the shock completely rebuilt it really is quite good.

Race Tech also makes a shock for the FJR. You can also get a spring with a rate that matches your riding weight.

Race Tech also makes a shock for the FJR. You can also get a spring with a rate that matches your riding weight.
A friend recommended them but just for the front fork stuff. Haven't heard anything about their rear shocks.

I have a Wilber's and like it very much. I can't say how good any other shock is or isn't. It's much better then stock, I can tell you that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best shock for those looking for aftermarket tends to be anything that's not the stock shock. Anything customized for your weight and riding preference is going to be light years better. After that it tends to be what you pay for for to get to 11.

Concur that GP Suspension is my preferred of the bunch.

I'm in love with Penske. Other than one shock I put a heavier spring on, I have no experience with non-stock shocks. Therefore my opinion means squat. But I stick by it none the less. I suspect anything is better than the stock POS.

Much will depend on our neds.

Do you need to change the spring settings often.

From 1-up to 2-up riding? From commute mode to tour mode (extra luggage weight, etc.)?

If so, you may want to go with a shock that has a remote preload because it's difficult to get a spanner on the FJR rear shock. That might limit your choices.

Ignacio speaketh wisdom:

The best shock for those looking for aftermarket tends to be anything that's not the stock shock. Anything customized for your weight and riding preference is going to be light years better.
It will dramatically change the bikes handling and you will soon notice the front springs also need changing...... :rolleyes:

I have: Wiburs rear shock (from the first suspension group buy in '05) that was recently rebuilt and resprung by GP suspension.

Eibach fork springs.

I'm not sure about you kmagg, but me thinks that I better start a "fund to upgrade my suspension" and hope that someone will get a group buy going later in the year. :dribble: Oh excuse me [wiping off chin] I was just looking at the link from Ignacio about the GP Suspension. Yeah, now I want a new shock and front springs.

I have a Penske from the GP Suspension group buy in Dec '06. What a difference that made in the bike. They did a great job setting it up.

While its expensive it seemed to make more sense to get something rebuildable rather than need to replace the Yamaha shock every 20K miles.

QUOTE (Big-B @ Jul 19 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Penske from the GP Suspension group buy in Dec '06. What a difference that made in the bike. They did a great job setting it up.
While its expensive it seemed to make more sense to get something rebuildable rather than need to replace the Yamaha shock every 20K miles.
I went with a Penske from Traxxion Dynaimics. The gentleman there (can't remember his name off the bat) rides an FJR so he is well versed in how to set the bike up for how you like to ride. Give them a call.

I can see the logic of buying the best shock you can find. The guys at SVrider, the SV650 forum "lean" toward the Penske. I like that they are made to be user rebuildable.