Best Faceshield Cleaner?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched Moosehead pull out an arosol can and a microfiber towel out of his sidebag. I thought to myself "He's travels with an arosol can in there?" After he cleaned the bugs off his faceshield, he let me clean mine.
When I got home, I bought a can.

Plexus

+1 plexus and nothing else

Any topic that starts with "Best" and ends with "?" should always end up in the NEPRT section, IMHO.

I'm fixing to try some plastic headlight lens restorer on my CB screen. The directions say if there are scratches, to hit it with some 2000 grit sandpaper too. Sounds like we can keep the plastic looking nice for quite some time with a little effort....

I use "Helmet Care" by Mororex. It says Oil of Switzerland on the can. Fancy. I paid about $5 for a 6.8 fl. oz. can about a year ago at Cycle World, and it's just now getting to be empty. I use it daily.

It is in an aerosol can and sprays on as a foam. It cleans the faceshield and exterior nicely with a terry cloth towel. When I travel, I carry the can and a towel or two (small hand size) in the tank bag. It's also designed to be sprayed inside the helmet. I spray it in there at night and let it sit. In the morning, the interior is nice and fresh.

Swingman Sends

I carry individually wrapped electronic wipes in my tankbag. Originally bought them to clean lcd screens but discoverd they work well on shields. Got 'em at wallyworld in the computer dept.

+1 to the Plexus

I want to believe it even buffs out small scratches in the plastic, and it does small very nice.

But for real heavy duty bug cleaner my favorite is plain old...

HYDROGEN PEROXIDE

it's crazy cheap, available at every grocery and drug store and literally dissolves bugs in a bubbly foamy little puddle for easy wipe away. once the sheild is clean, then use the Plexus.

That takes care of 1 and 5..

for 3, put it in a plastic spritzer bottle, I got mine from one of those special clear plastic airline travel kits to follow the TSA guide lines. Screw the top on and yer good. Your electronics aren't immune but should it spill somehow, H202 doesnt stain, smell or harm fabrics.

I do not recommend the gas station squeegee... i once scratched the F%$# out of a mirrored visor using that thing...I had to trash the visor after the ride

Last edited by a moderator:
"I do not recommend the gas station squeegee... i once scratched the F%$# out of a mirrored visor using that thing...I had to trash the visor after the ride"

+1 I see old people here in town wash the front of their cars all the time with these :blink:

Plexus - helmet visor and windshield.

Smaller can more convenient to carry. Pricey though.

I keep a moistened microfiber cloth in the tank bag and a dry one too. I can then wash the gunk from the faceshield and dry it without stopping or waiting until a gas stop.

doctorj

Plexus - Not just a dessert topping! I just replaced a small can. Probably lasted me over a year of heavy riding.

Used to use Meguiars Speed Detailer. Found a product I like better, Turtle Wax ICE detailer with a clean micro fiber cloth.

Make your own! I use this stuff all the time.

3/$1 spritzer bottles at the local Dollar store.

microfibre towels 20 / $5 last a lifetime.

Carried in my tank bag, takes up only a little room.

That covers #1-3-5

Spit does cover #2 (until it freezes....) so hold yer breath until you get moving....

If yer Mom loves you then #4 is covered, otherwise if you are NOT attractive to gals and they know you ride an FJR then you had better talk to someone in a higher plane of existence, cool windshield cleaner is not the answer...

:rolleyes:

I'll second this one.....used it for a while now and it works awesome....can't get much cheaper either!!!!

Met Paul Mondor on the Gold River Hwy and he was spraying White Pledge all over a brand new BWM. Seemed to work well, so...

Makes it way easier to get the bug goo off.

Not that as a woman I don't love to spend my entire life cleaning, but......

:lazy:

i keep a bottle of NOVUS #1 plastic clean and shine and a microfiber towel in my tank bag.

not only does it clean the face shield, and wind screen, it also works great on all the tuperware.

$3.95 for an 8 oz bottle. only place that carries it here in pensacola, the Harley dealer.

cadman

Dawn Dish Washing Liquid, warm water, and a cotton drying cloth. It will clean anything off the shield and will not effect the anti-fog coating either. I've been using it for years to clean my shields. Of course, if you are out on the road, spit and a t-shirt work pretty well.

Plus.. Any women that see a man using dish washing liquid are immediately impressed.