Best flashlight?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I my business I've used a lot of flashlights over the years. For that kind of use a Dewalt or Makita rechargeable is the best but for overall quality, brightness and run time it's hard to beat a Maglight.

Princeton headlamp is a better value than all my Surefires (4). It is what I carry on the bike.

Check this out-

LINK

but for overall quality, brightness and run time it's hard to beat a Maglight.
Agreed. Maglight meets all your criteria and their lights last a long, long time (if you don't run them over, and even then....). Get her a mini mag light and load it with Duracell, replacing every year and your good to go. That's what my other half has in the glove box.For knives, I like to carry Spyderco. Had one for the last 25 years. Bang for the buck you can't beat them.
Princeton headlamp is a better value
For something to carry on the bike for emergency night work this really is the best thing to have. Thanks for that link, think I'll get me one. :)

or make them yourself (I do it as a hobby, I've yet to try to sell a single one!) O-1 tool steel, and 154CMhere's some of my handywork:
Sorry Rick, thats no good. No bottle opener or screwdriver :p

Hmm I see a phillips and a flat blade screwdriver, Plus a couple of openers???? You sure yer from Ab a lama?

:jester:

Oh an dude, That camera I bought from ya, It don't work....

After it disengages from the mount @ 75 mph and the rear tire decides to imprint it :blink:

:jester:

Nice slicer, there, Rickster. Do you attend any of the knife shows or hammer-ins? Is so, you may have met the fella that makes those knives I posted. He lives in Oxford. I've known him 'bout 25 years.

I agree surefire is the fine flashlight...albeit super expensive. I have a z2 combat light I carried with me in Iraq...it has survived quite alot of abuse. I also have a streamlight stinger rechargable, also very nice.

For best all around use, however:

Petzl Zipka

1. Good battery life

2. very bright

3. very small and packable

4. can be used as a headlight, flashlight, tent light, etc...

Best flashlight purchase i ever made.

Regards,

Davy

Renegade, I'm using a mini Maglight 3 watt LED version. I use it every day, under the dashboards of cars and the batteries last approx 2 months of daily use. Best thing is it uses 2 AA batteries! I was playing around with it outside one night at my in-laws, and it lit up the tree line about 100 yds away. I got it at Walmart....$18, WITH the nylon holster!

I'll have it with me at EOM. If you're going, you can see it.

BTW, if anyone has the std mini Maglight, Walmart also sells the LED conversion for $4.99. This also works very well, but nowhere near their own version.

I even converted the 2-d cell Maglight to a 3 watt LED. What a difference.

Sorry but I couldn't see spending $50 plus for a flashlight that's no better performing than a Maglight.

Stylus streamlight....found on any Snap-On truck....2 aaaa batteries....the light is the size of a pen.... :good: ....

I loved my Surefire
+1

I've been using one for about 10 years now. Brighter than a 4D-cell Maglight in a very small package. I'm using the Z2 but the G2Z looks to be about the same performance in a non-metal body (for a little less cash).

It's great at bonus hunting in the middle of BFE at 3am.

FWIW, I never hit the road or trail without my Petzel Myo XP (headlamp)... never know when you need to use both hands! Great light, nice features, impressive battery life (uses 3 AA's), has held up to lots of use, very comfortable to wear. When I was in Alaska recently I met a climber with the same headlamp who just finished romping up 20,000' Mt.McKinley.

AGirl

Petzl Headlamp here, too, for the same reasons as AGirl noted, except that I ALWAYS seem to need two hands. Not sure the model number, but I use it with the large 4.5V single battery that you seem only to be able to get in backpacking stores. I have the AA battery adapter it comes with, but prefer the 4.5V.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the best gadgets I've ever bought is a Ray OVac headlamp. I look like a dork and Lorie and Kate (Dau) laugh at me, but there's nothing I've found that works better for wrenching on the bike and actually seeing what the hell I'm doing - that and my reading glasses. It was around $12, has a selector switch for 2 x red LED or 1 x white LED or a "regular" flashlight bulb. Good piece of gear and cheap - oh yeah, 3 x AAA batteries.

One of the best gadgets I've ever bought is a Ray OVac headlamp. I look like a dork and Lorie and Kate (Dau) laugh at me, but there's nothing I've found that works better for wrenching on the bike and actually seeing what the hell I'm doing - that and my reading glasses. It was around $12, has a selector switch for 2 x red LED or 1 x white LED or a "regular" flashlight bulb. Good piece of gear and cheap - oh yeah, 3 x AAA batteries.
Hey, do you think you could get us some pictures?

(We're interested in the light and want to see how it fits. We're not going to laugh or anything.)

Stanley Maxlife 369 TRIPOD.

But make shure you buy one for yourself as well or you look like a gift hog

features

-9 leds but is switchable from 1 to 3 to 6 usage

-takes 9 AA batteres but because of it's design it's can give full output if you only have 3 fresh batts

-it's odviously a tripod.

-the light head rotates

-very well made,comfortable ergos. IMHO

I got one last christmas it was one of those gift's that really impressed me regardless of price (It being relatively cheap,...i mean)

Cheers

-Don