Best HID's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruzin

Team Blue!
Reaction score
I have been reading up allot on the HID lights availble for the FJR lately :blink: as I'm trying to decide which set to install on my 2008. I realize there going to be between $500-$800 for the set butt my thoughts are if your going to drop that kind of cash on lights why not get the best ones :D

Sooo on that note have any of you done a side by side test with the diffrent ones solertec, phids, FF 200's.... I know I read somwhere Warchild was doing some testing butt I thought that was more for changing the actual headlights. I'm just curiuos about Aux lights B)

I have been reading up allot on the HID lights availble for the FJR lately :blink: as I'm trying to decide which set to install on my 2008. I realize there going to be between $500-$800 for the set butt my thoughts are if your going to drop that kind of cash on lights why not get the best ones :D
Sooo on that note have any of you done a side by side test with the diffrent ones solertec, phids, FF 200's.... I know I read somwhere Warchild was doing some testing butt I thought that was more for changing the actual headlights. I'm just curiuos about Aux lights B)
If you haven't seen it yet, here's a start anyway. Clicky

I have Hella Micro DE Xenon driving lights on my FJR. Had the same type on my Concours. Small, Powerful and priced at the lower end of your range - can be had for less if you are diligent and patient.

Warchild has the same on his sport bike.

I had some PHID's, but I ended up selling them and getting some Soltek's. I think I made the right choice. They're a bit on the big side, and brackets may be hard to come by, but for downrange illumination they are second to none.

Click

And click

Click the below link and scroll down a bit for a comparison of what I consider the three main players for maximum HID performance - the PHIDs, Hella FF200s, and the Solteks.

CLICKY

The Solteks are the brightest for sure, and are nice in that the ballast is in the light housing. They are heavy bastards however, and I have concerns about eventual fatigue to the subframe where they mount. Though so far nobody has reported any problems.

If it were me, I would probably go the FF200 route, but those Solteks sure are bright. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

MW182754b.JPG

You guys didn't get any comparo shots of the downrange end of this?

As I recall from Park City, Art's FF200's were throwing down some respectable lumens, but I think that problem I had later that night, outside of Ely, with the unexpected oncoming big rig and me not finding the switch in time had him thinking he was about to be abducted....

Thanks for the input guy's :clapping: I have been leaning towards the FF 200's but damn those Solotecs sure do lay down some light :dribble: