Best Inexpensive Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
Last year I recall reading a helmet safety article that used different criteria for testing and found that some of the inexpensive lids were among the best because they were a bit more elastic.

What was the brand/model of the top lid? I can't remember... and thought I'd get one for the random pillion.

Last year I recall reading a helmet safety article that used different criteria for testing and found that some of the inexpensive lids were among the best because they were a bit more elastic.
What was the brand/model of the top lid? I can't remember... and thought I'd get one for the random pillion.
Very complete info and links Here

I vaguely remember that report... but am not sure which helmets rated well. On a similar note though... I just bought a new Scorpion EXO-700 Helmet for right around $200... which is cheap compared to any of the Shoei/Arai equivalents, and gets rave reviews from everyone I know who has one... scroll down to the bottom of this link for their review...

Scorpion Helmets..

and another good review...

Web Bike world review

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember the article correctly they found a distinct lack of correlation between the price and the amount of protection...

Well, I'm just cheap. I have a Vega. Cost $89. DOT approved. I'm happy.

Just got a Scorpion EXO-200, which is an open-face 3/4. Was $140, and is to date the most comfortable helmet I've owned. If full face is your preference, I don't doubt the 700 would be worth checking out. I went Scorpion due to many glowing reports on their various helmets, which I can verify with this one.

I apply a double standard. Three expensive lids for my XXL head and a cheap lid for any pillion stupid enough to ride with me.

Just got a Scorpion EXO-200, which is an open-face 3/4. Was $140, and is to date the most comfortable helmet I've owned. If full face is your preference, I don't doubt the 700 would be worth checking out. I went Scorpion due to many glowing reports on their various helmets, which I can verify with this one.

+1 on Scorpion, have both the EXO-700 for the rugged weather days, and also just bought the EXO-200 colbalt blue color for the hot days, love the open face for the 90plus desert runs. Excellent product, good vents on both models, both have no-fog lenses, easy to install headsets in the 200 model. Now I just have to recover from the sun burns from not remembering using suncreen with the open face, and I'd be good to go this weekend to big bear.

The other article was from motorcyclist

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/..._helmet_review/

I'll try to add the link: Motorcyclist Article (CLICK ME)

and I ordered the Z1R ZRP-1 -- will post when it arrives, and let you know how it works out.

Aside from just impact, there are so many other factors (periferal vision, comfort, wind noise, ease of visor change), and although the article lists specific Gs, im not sure what a 20% difference means!

Just got my Scorpion 700 today. It feels great on my head but I haven't ridden with it yet. $179. delivered from The Helmet Shop.

Well I can imagine where this will get me, but as stated earlier the tests I have read do not distinguish between the cheap and expensive helmets in terms of crash protection. It really annoyed the heck out of me at the time because I wanted to buy the absolute best possible protection, and none of the reviews or tests (snell, dot, etc) could make that distinction.

However, I did learn one important thing. Most manufacturers use one shell to make all of their various styles (with Arai being the only exception I know of). I happen to have a long narrow head, and is it turns out Arai is the only manufacturer that makes a helmet for my head. My last two helmets have been cheaper Shoeis because I didn't want to shell out the money for the Arai, but they have been uncomfortable on long rides. Time for a new helmet, this time I am spending the money. To make a long story short, buy the best fitting helmet, these days they all are pretty good for protection if they meet one of the major testing standards.

I wear a HJC AC-11 It has a fiberglass shell and a removeable liner. Its the only helmet I could get over my ears ( I have a fathead I guess ) They make two different shells for this model. About $190.00. I tried Arai and Shoie and they didn't feel very comfortable.

Wife has a HJC CL-14 This helmet looks like the AC-11 The difference is the shell is acrilic and the upper liner is not removeable. About $100.00 online.

We have both been happy with our helmet choices for over a year and a half.

Both of us wear shoei RF 1000, which meet both Snell & ECE standards....maybe I'm too old school but I was raised, & still believe you should buy the best helmet you can afford....you only have one head....so maybe the old adage is true....$10.00 head....$10.00 helmet....but as an old fart that still does track days & still races & tests both bikes & cars on occasion....I'd rather not take the chance & spend the dough....Just my opinion though :dribble:

Just got my Scorpion 700 today. It feels great on my head but I haven't ridden with it yet. $179. delivered from The Helmet Shop.
That's too bad. Gary McCoy sells them for under $150 shipped. For the record, I paid about $160 for my 700 at my local dealership including tax on close out over the winter, and love it. Gave up on my flip front. The Scorpion is so light and quiet in comparison, I'll put up with the eyeglass inconvenience.

more helmet dribble....

Aside from crash protection, wind noise, visibility (both looking out, and others seeing you), comfort -- there's a reason I quit buying high $$ helmets.

EPS (like styrofoam) liners, and the padding deteriorate over time -- SO -- I switched from buying more expensive helmets to less expensive (AC-11, scorpion, and Z1R on order) and buying the much more often!

Instead of buying a $500 lid, and trying to keep it for 4/5 years, buy a $100 every year! (my new philosophy). As an added benefit, you get new technology (if it occurs), and generally the startup companies or newer manufactureres are trying to one-up Arai, Suomy, Shoei, etc. with better products at lower prices.

Get what's comfy, has good ergos (visor etc), has DOT (at least), ain't too heavy, and replace it often. :asshat:

Aside from the helmet -- I can always find good jackets, gloves,etc. but haven't found any overpants.

Any advise on Overpants (over work clothes for protection -- skip the chaps -- I'll be sliding on my ass and hips -and assless chaps don't look good on me anyway!)

:bike: :bike: :bike: :bike: :bike: :bike:

rhulcher, as for overpants, how much you wanna spend? I ride daily to work and I also have to wear fancy-pants in the office environment. I bought a pair of Carhartts a size too long and a size to big in the waist, split the leg seams and installed 36" zippers. Easy on, easy off, affordable. May not be the best thing in the world, but this is some heavy canvas material and I'm sure a heck-of-a-lot better than meeting asphalt in my fancy-pants. I wear those and a mesh skidder-jacket.

You will arrive calm, cool, and collected. Not a huge sweating mass of stink.