Best Inexpensive Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of buying a $500 lid, and trying to keep it for 4/5 years, buy a $100 every year!
I got no reason to think a scorpion won't last just as long as one of the overpriced brands. I've had my symax for 3 years now and it fits like new. :good:

rhulcher, as for overpants, how much you wanna spend? <snip>
Don't really matter, but prefer under $400. I look at it this way -- If I lowside and drag my hiney, and am in the hospital getting gravel picked out -- how much would I pay THEN to not have to go through that!!

$10 head, $10 helmet? How much do you think foam, fabric, and fiberglass cost? I'd guess that the materials cost no more than $30 for the relatively exotic stuff such as CF. I'd think $10 of material for the vast majority of helmets would be about right.

I'm thinking a big percentage of the Shoei/Arai cost is in the name... just like most upscale priced items... you pay a premium for the known quantity.

Well.... like you said....a known product & survive or unknown product & ICU....the choice is yours to make... ;)

rhulcher, you can afford better than I have or have experience with, so I have just become about as useful to you as tits on a boar.

Well.... like you said....a known product & survive or unknown product & ICU....the choice is yours to make... ;)
Read up on the recent studies. You'll be quite surprised to know it is not true regarding motorcycle helmets.

Both of the tests that failed were cold soak tests... the ambient, elevated, and immersed tests all passed. In other words, the helmets are borderline for impact and penetration if the helmet temperature is -10 Centigrade. Even at the low temp test, the penetration test failed once, and passed once...

So they're telling me that a Kevlar/Polycarbonate/Fiberglass helmet becomes somewhat brittle at -10 C? Ok... And per Snell's website, the helmet passed...

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one of the Scorpion 400's last year and really like it. My take on the Motorcyclist testing last year was that the polycarbonate models actually had some "give" to them and actually protected the brain better. I suppose it is a tradeoff of impact to the road vs. hitting something which will penetrate the helmet. I decided that my head hitting the ground was more likely than hitting a penetrating object, so I went that way. The full face 400 I got is Snell and DOT rated, and cost me $ 126. If I were to drop it, I could replace it much easier. I also will replace it more often at that price. My only complaint is that the visor's first detent is a little high. My last helmet was an Arai Quantum. I tried on just about every helmet out there and the Scorpion fit my head better than anything else I tried. I must have that oval or round head as Quantums fit and Signets didn't at all.

Tom

Addtional followup on the Scorpion EXO-700 failed DOT test... I sent Scorpion an email asking what their response to the test results was... got the following reply...

First of all I want to thank you for your concern. We value the safety in our helmets. There was one test given at which the Scorpion Helmet failed a below freezing test. Given the fact that the helmet could have been jeopardized by any non-related factors. DOT as well as Scorpion began to re-test the helmet. Over and over again we tested and passed. DOT granted there approval on our helmet. Please keep in mind that if our helmet was not safe for any reason there would be a re-call. I have attached a letter along with the DOT response to this matter. Once again thank you.

"Always Wear Protection"

Joleen Hawks

Scorpion Sports, Inc.

888-672-6774

She also sent me an electronic scan of a letter from DOT, stating that after Scorpion's response, no new actions needed to be taken, and they would agree to test them again in '06.

Groo- Fit is all important, but in my book, quietness is a close second. How does that aspect of the Scorpion 700 compare against other full-face helmets (non-flip up) that you have worn?

Cheers...

Nightshine,

I'll let you know as soon as it arrives... :) Had to reorder mine when I found out I could save 30% off what I was originally paying by getting it through University Motors. Gary's got it ordered, and I should have it soon.

Picked up an RF-1000 with the Voltage (blue) paint scheme off of Craig's List for $175.00. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Not a mark on it and worn only a handful of times by the original owner who decided to get off bikes. I was about as excited with this deal as I am to have an '06 on the way.

For what it's worth to my fellow bargain hunters, there was recently a new Shoei Syncrotec (White XL) packaged with an XL Joe Rocket jacket and XL Joe Rocket gloves on Craig's List (Portland Listing) for $250 total. Not a bad deal. Lister claims the helmet was brand new. I almost bought it all just to re-sell, but couldn't pull the trigger after getting my RF-1000.

Ya know, Groo, that ain't a bad idea. We could get Skoot to test it, he has all that unused space under the helmet for the generating apparatus...

Ya know, Groo, that ain't a bad idea. We could get Skoot to test it, he has all that unused space under the helmet for the generating apparatus...

Oh, you're a funny guy. But I don't mean funny as in "ha ha"................

I still need more saddle time with it, but I have been disappointed in my Scorpion EXO400 helmet. Initially, when I bought it I thought it was the cat's meow. High quality, great price, fit my melon great! Thought I would never have to buy an expensive helmet again.

Then I rode with it. :( Lots, and I mean lots of air coming up from the bottom front and blowing in my face/eyes. I put the chin curtain on and that helped immensely, but still more air than I like. Waters and dry's out the eyes. This is the first helmet where I NEEDED the chin curtain on it. Also, it doesn't vent worth shit. Now I am comparing here to my Shoei $$$$ X-11 helmet which supposedly is one of the best venters around, but the fact is, the Scorpion doesn't vent worth beans IMHO. So, living in Arizona, looks like the Scorpion will be the winter only helmet, where it's great anti-fog properties, which really do work, will also come in handy. Helmet seems kind of heavy also (subjective - I haven't weighed them) and during a full day of riding (500 miles), did start to give me a little hot spot on my forehead. My Shoei and HJC modular helmet give me no hot spots whatsoever.

So I have mixed feelings on the Scorpion. I was hoping for more, because my Shoei X-11 is wearing out and I really don't want to spend another $500 to replace it, even though I love the helmet.

rhulcher, as for overpants, how much you wanna spend? <snip>
Don't really matter, but prefer under $400. I look at it this way -- If I lowside and drag my hiney, and am in the hospital getting gravel picked out -- how much would I pay THEN to not have to go through that!!
I just ordered up a pair of these:

https://www.newenough.com/tour_master_air_o..._pants_page.htm

And some CE armor to replace the cotton balls they shove in the knees. Tried on the FirstGear ones yesterday and they seemed warmer than I had expected.

Jeff