Best Portable Audio System for 2-Up Riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best solution regardless of money?

• J&M Integratr IV Motorcycle Intercom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Interphone Bluetooth Intercom

• Scala Rider TeamSet Review - Albrecht Rider - Midland Bluetooth Intercom

• Nady Motorcycle Intercoms

• Autocom Active-PLUS Motorcycle Intercom

• BackChat Vixen Motorcycle Intercom

• Baehr Ultima XL Intercom

• Chatterbox GMRS-X1 Bluetooth

• StarCom1 from Bike Effects

• Total voters
i like the Blue ant interphone, its blue tooth bike to bike and works well,for sure distance is limited onlike a frs radio, might not be the best but for the money its work well.

For what it is worth, there is only ONE microprocessor controlled intercom on the market and it missed your list. I am now using it and it works well....very well. It has some extra "two-up" features as well.
Starcom Digital at Bike Effects

See the link below for forum discount information.
Is there a remote volume control for this unit?
Yes,

There are two remote controls. A master volume control with a single knob, and complete control that is just like the control from the unit.

These are some of the newest systems on the market. I like the idea of a Bluetooth unit but I do not want it to be at the expense of sound quality. Some of you may own one of these systems and if you do would you please vote on the system you wish you would have bought and not what you own or owned. Money is always going to be a factor but I am more concerned with what the best quality unit would be regardless of cost. I will want a unit that will allow my wife and me to communicate with one another riding 2-up and with other riders when I am on group rides with my friends. I also must have the ability to make phone calls, Music is less important to me but I would like to add a GPS easily to the unit at some point. iPod integration would be nice but is not driving my decision.
Based on a thread started earlier this week, a majority use/prefer Autocom, but Starcom is a close second. Personally I don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

I use an Autocom SuperAVI Pro and am tickled pink by its quality and ability. It is a solid construction, heavy, but not overweight. in addition, the comm. wires are fat and well connected.

This unit was previously intalled on my Triumph Sprint (which had less of a fairing) and could speak and hear clearly at 80+ MPH. It is now permantly installed (velcro'd) under the seat of my FJR and is wired to the bike's auxillary bus bar (aka the battery). The rider and passenger wires are stowed under the seat and pulled out when needed. I have reserved the glove box for the cell phone, walkie talkie and/or MP3 player. That is, I ran wires from the Autocom unit under the fairing, drilled a small hole at the bottom of the glove box and have wires permanantly installed in the glove box. The only drawback with music is that I don't have control over functions (I may rethink this location).

It is noise atenuating (meaning that the volume increases or decreases depending on noise inside helmet). It will decrease music or GPS volume by .5 when the primary line is in use (aka a cell phone) and is very clear.

As a stand alone unit, the rider passenger sound quality is exceptional. My wife complained about not being able to hear me while using Chatterboxes. Now she talks about how clear the sound quality is. Like other comments on this thread, she has a tendancy to point out the cows, or the landscaping, or the store, or the...well you get the point. The unit does have a dedicated passenger volume control. As a side note however, Autocom volume controls are only accessable when stopped. It will be a trial and error process to find what you like.

In regards to music, I would recommend a good quality MP3 player as it is difficult to hear quality sound at higher speeds on lower quality players. I where earplugs on longer rides and the sound volume can be increased beyond what is tolearble (when not wearing earplugs) and still does not crack the speaker. Just remember to decrease the volume when not wearing earplugs...don't ask how I know :unsure: The unit's volume, when set right, is still clear and acceptable while wearing earplugs. Infact, I prefer to wear earplugs as it reduces most of the white noise allowing me to more clearly hear the communication device.

I have also added my cell phone and use an inexpensive Motorola Talkabout GMRS radio. Both produce clear sound at ANY speed.

The biggest, drawback would be the price. nearly $400 for the SuperAVI Pro plus another $40 for a walkie talke wire (different wires for different radios).

Currently I'm using a Garmin C330 Streetpilot. It does not have audio outputs, so I am deaf to Suzy telling me where to go <_< . Eventually I will install and wire in the Garmin Zumo. This should resolve many of my own issues, such as wanting to hear Suzy tell me where to go <_< , wanting to have more music control, and wanting to be able to place a call by dialing out (nice for making last minute dinner reservations or accomodations that Suzy recommends along the way).

I would be interested to hear comments about the audio effectiveness of the different headsets if you are wearing earplugs. I tried a "cheap" Motorola Bluetooth helmet headset setup, but found the audio essentially inaudible when wearing earplugs.
Terry
I prefer to wear earplugs as it reduces most of the white noise allowing me to more clearly hear the communication device. Other than the earplugs themselves, the volume is comfortable and I do not feel I need to strain to hear what is being said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Autocom ActivePlus and really like it. The unit fits perfectly in the space under the pillion seat. Yes, the controls can't be accessed while you're riding, but once you get the unit sorted, it's forgetaboutit! Conversation with a passenger is very clear even at triple digits (in fact, I've had to tell passengers just to talk in normal voice instead of trying to talk louder...no need). I do not have my phone integrated into it as I just don't see the need to have access to it while I'm riding. It is interfaced with my Zumo550 and I plug in my Sandisk Sansa mp3 player. Noise isnt' an issue as I use Autocom's in ear speaker adaptor with Challenger earplugs (https://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/chmisearph.html). If I don't have a passenger, I can just plug the Challengers directly into my Sansa (and works great on airplanes, too).

I've had good customer service from TopGear Accessories. I bought from them directly.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I didn't vote for the Scala Teamset, although I have one. Musta saw it coming, as the unit crapped out on us today.

Had problems with it since we got it. The voice activation on the passenger never did work, which was fine with me, as only I could start conversations, I didn't have to worry about being interupted at a critical moment.

And the Mic for the passenger seemed to work intermitantly, sometimes I heard my wife fine, other times VERY hard to pick out what she said.

Today temps hit the 70's after a week of cold and ice storm, so I charged the batteries on the units and we were off. Oddly the damn thing seemed to work flawlessly for a good 20 minutes, then the intercom simply went out. Tried re-booting the thing but nothing. The bluetooth connection to my Zumo was working fine as always, the phone too. (which is tied through the Zumo first)

Evey said she still heard beeps, like the intercom makes when it "shuts down" when no one is talking, but that is all she could hear, and I could no longer hear her.

I really really liked the whole wireless bluetooth concept, but it ain't doing it for me...the on helmet controls of the Teamset are a pain in the ass anyway.....

So, I'm fed up with the thing and looking for something that does work. The Autocom Active Plus seems to have garnered the most votes, and reading the previous posts most seem pretty happy with the system.

I have a few questions...

Can I use my own headphones? (Eytomic ER6i)

If connected to my Zumo, which also has my MP3's and XM radio, can I still control my phone through the Zumo or do I have to wire it in seperately now?

How much will it cost (aprox) for everything I need and do they sell it in one kit or do I have to buy stuff seperately ??

Thanks,

KM

I have a few questions...Can I use my own headphones? (Eytomic ER6i)

If connected to my Zumo, which also has my MP3's and XM radio, can I still control my phone through the Zumo or do I have to wire it in seperately now?

How much will it cost (aprox) for everything I need and do they sell it in one kit or do I have to buy stuff seperately ??

Thanks,

KM
Yes, you can use your own headphones as long as they use a 3.5mm mini plug and you purchase the headset lead adaptor (either $42 or $52 depending on whether you get a straight or coiled cord). I know they have kits for two-up riding that have the controller and headsets for ~$300. You'll also have to purchase the aforementioned in ear adaptor cord and the an interface cord for you Zumo. I believe you will get phone control through your Zumo, but I'd call Autocom and ask. You can get a bluetooth receiver for the Autocomm but they're spendy, @ ~$150.

www.autocomamerica.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I started this thread a very long time ago but I thought I would update the group on what I bought. I bought the Motocomm MC-752 for $49 each (bought 2) and a Motorola TALKABOUT T9500XLR Two Way Radios set for $69. For $170 both my wife and I have everything we need to talk to one another and our group when we ride together. I also got the adapter for MP3 music and now she and I can both listen to our own music when we ride and not share. I do not think there is a cheaper solution and it provides a lot of bang for the buck. I like having the radios when we go camping too so we can always keep in contact.

I have a system that isn't on this list. It's the MotoComm ST-1.
https://www.sporttour.com/motorcycle_access...MotoCommST1.htm

I bought mine from Glen at sporttour.com. I actually needed two full systems, one for my bike and one for my son's, so the price was clearly important. For the price ($159 ea) it is a very complete and capable set-up. Unlike the others, it comes complete with everything you need to get started. The only additional expense would be FRS radios if you want to go bike to bike and don't already own a pair. If you do own some the adapter cables are already in the ST-1 kit.

The only thing I dislike is that currently the audio is only mono on the mp3 input. But in emails from the manufacturer they say they will soon have something called an aux-2 connector that will allow stereo sound, and also will allow use of earbuds in place of the helmet speakers.

I think it's worth considering
Fred,

I have the Motocomm ST-1 and like it. Have you heard if they ever got the aux-2 connector to get the stereo sound?

Btw...I purchased my ST-1 back in Sep 07.

Thanks.

Rex