Best power outlet for cheap??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjr1300canuck

Reaction score
I have been looking at the Powerlet outlet for my 05 but wondering if anyone can suggest any othr simple/cheap alternatives...I am not very handy but I figure I should be ablt to mount one of these things...I only need one outlet for my GPS...

thanks, all

I have been looking at the Powerlet outlet for my 05 but wondering if anyone can suggest any othr simple/cheap alternatives...I am not very handy but I figure I should be ablt to mount one of these things...I only need one outlet for my GPS...
thanks, all
The cheapest alternative would be to connect directly to your battery post's.

Marine socket on mine as well, if I recall, it was something like $6

Thanks for the input....looks like i will go with a marine grade lighter socket.

Now should I wire it directly to the battery or are there leads near the that I can wire it to under the fairing? I have a 2005..

Thanks for the input....looks like i will go with a marine grade lighter socket.
Now should I wire it directly to the battery or are there leads near the that I can wire it to under the fairing? I have a 2005..
Front running lights are easy to tap if you want the socket to be switched -- that is, to be on only when the key is on. Hook it directly to the battery if you want it to be always hot.

I actually run one of each. Well, the always hot one is really an SAE plug for my Battery Tender and is also where I plug in the gps. The lighter socket is switched. You can see both in photos in this thread.

Do use an inline fuse on the positive wire to your outlet.

You might also check the local John Deer dealer, theirs are the same style as Jastek/Powerlet/BMW power ports. And continuing on the cheap, any farm supply store for generic ones.

And FWIW, you don't have to buy the Powerlet kits, you can just buy the power port and source the rest of the 'kit' at the auto parts store or your garage. Especially if you're panel mounting it.

What do you want to plug into it?

Do use an inline fuse on the positive wire to your outlet.
You might also check the local John Deer dealer, theirs are the same style as Jastek/Powerlet/BMW power ports. And continuing on the cheap, any farm supply store for generic ones.

And FWIW, you don't have to buy the Powerlet kits, you can just buy the power port and source the rest of the 'kit' at the auto parts store or your garage. Especially if you're panel mounting it.

What do you want to plug into it?

just a small Garmin GPS

thanks, all
for about 3 bucks you can get a fused outlet from Radioshack that you can connect directly to your battery posts. I simply drilled out a hole in the black panel above and back from the battery. works great and it is cheap

Why not use the dealer installed and fused cig. lighter in your glove box and run the power cord out thru the bottom of the box thru the hole already there.

Cost's Nothing.

Mac

Why not use the dealer installed and fused cig. lighter in your glove box and run the power cord out thru the bottom of the box thru the hole already there.
Cost's Nothing.

Mac
Is it Friday yet!? Because it's a Gen I, ('05), and doesn't have one. :D

Cost's Nothing.

Mac
Here I thought I was being smart , instead I was a dummy. I am smarter now tho. :D

Mac

Cost's Nothing.

Mac
Here I thought I was being smart , instead I was a dummy. I am smarter now tho. :D

Mac
Don't be too hard on yourself Mac - it does have a glove box (2003's don't?) - just not a lighter plug in it! Easy place to install one if you want a tamper-resistant install though...