Best Price For 1300 2006

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered my '06A from K&N Yamaha in Tulsa,OK for $12,000 and $450 for the Y.E.S. four year warranty, OTD.....plus tax and title at the DMV. :detect:

OK here's the deal. I went to a local dealer yesterday who gave me a price of 11,599 + 225 Delivery and Set up and then of course Tax, Title, Reg. My question is that the salesman told me that he thought the PDP was over. He told me that Yamaha wasn't setting a time period this year, instead they were taking orders until they had them all sold. He said the only way that he could tell if that pricing was still available was to take my deposit and try to order one. He also said that they have 4 orderd "for the dealership" 2 A's and to AE's (these 4 would be available at a higher price not the 11,599) ... so I'm wondering when the last time some one PDP'd a bike? Is this the real story?

Thanks,

Mike

Upstate NY

Mike,

The PDP is supposed to run until Dec 31 or when production numbers are met. Looking at the PDP numbers being compiled on another FJR site, the number sold is under 1800 (up to Dec 3). Most figure that around 4000 05's were sold, so even if that first number is way off, it isn't close to 2005 quantities.

I was originally going to place my order toward the latter part of the order period, figuring I could negotiate one of the flooring units they already had on order, but my dealer thought the quantities were severely limited (first of November), and that the PDP could just stop at any time. I can now see that was far from correct, and I probably could have stuck to my original plan. But at least it's on order.

As far as the flooring models your dealer ordered, that's bogus that he would charge you a higher price for those. Your PDP number is NOT tied to a VIN. He can just give you one of the earlier arrivals, and then floor the unit that you ordered. I ordered in November, but my dealer is giving me the first A model that comes in, which was ordered under the owner's name at the start of the PDP. I asked for that as part of the deal. It's no skin off his back.

Don't let these dealers get away with this. They're trying used car dealer shenanigans that should not be condoned. If they don't like it, go find a different dealer. You're not asking for the world here. You're getting a good price, but asking for one of the bikes that come in earlier (if that is what you want) is not much to ask. He'll still have a flooring model to replace it, just as my dealer does.

If the order has not been placed, then request (require) that you get one of the earlier ordered (flooring) units, then watch as they make the PDP order on the YDS (VERY IMPORTANT). Be sure to get a printout showing your pricing breakdown and PDP number, so that you are assured the order went through. Everything needs to be in writing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spoke with Ted at National City.

The $13,420 otd cost is correct. No hidden fees, not suprises.

His Yamaha rep was there too, confirmed the 12/31/05 or until sold out for the PDP.

Ted said many guys are taking the train to SD, NC will pick you up, sell the bike, show you some bitchin back roads, change the oil, send you on the way home.

OOPs. Something threw an error an my post was created twice. Deleted.

dcarver, beware of trying to purchase out of state and get it registered with the CA DMV. There was some previous posts regarding this topic. Heard it a real pain to do so if possible. :eek: Good luck, Painman. <><

ssfd110 Quote: He also said that they have 4 orderd "for the dealership" 2 A's and to AE's (these 4 would be available at a higher price not the 11,599)

bender Reply:

As far as the flooring models your dealer ordered, that's bogus that he would charge you a higher price for those. Your PDP number is NOT tied to a VIN. He can just give you one of the earlier arrivals, and then floor the unit that you ordered. ... It's no skin off his back.
Keep in mind that part of the reason the dealer is willing to offer a lower price on a PDP bike is that he has no $ tied up in it... he has presold a bike before it's even come in. The reason the dealer warned that the "floor" models would be priced higher is that he is simply going to ask more money for a bike that is available for immediate purchase (and to see, touch, sit on!) during the prime spring/summer selling season, plus he has some money tied up in that unit of inventory. Can't blame him for that... it makes perfect business sense and he's being honest and up-front with you.

Furthermore, there is some "skin off his back" if he gives you the "dealer" bike that was ordered two months sooner, because he won't have that shiny bike sitting in the showroom in April ready to entice a sale, but instead he'll be waiting until maybe May or June for "your" late-ordered bike to arrive and be put in his showroom, thus possibly missing one or more sales opportunities.

Personally I view this PDP as an opportunity to get a good deal without the hassle or worry of competing or dickering or missing out in the spring. Of course, I doubt I'd preorder at anywhere near MSRP... if I was gonna pay near full price I would expect to be able to at least sit on the bike first and not have to wait for delivery.

Am ready to pull the trigger on a 2006, and the price from the lbs was 12,555 plus tax, title and shipping. The shipping part was $350ish. Is that a 'normal' add on? I've seen the offers in this thread for 11,550 + tax and title.... so I'm just trying to figure out if this was fair or not.

I don't have to worry much about the coin - I have more cash than time these days (probably the only advantage to being in my late 40's), and buying from a dealership that is 4 miles away will save me quite a bit of time. However, there is a point at which I will give up the time for the cash, and if I can travel a reasonable distance for a sure deal and no surprise charges, then I'll go that route.

Call your dealer and reference some of the posted dealer quotes available here. See if you can get him to match another credible deal. All the local guys here in St. Louis originally quoted at or very near MSRP, (one was actually about $700.00 over with fees. The dealer I eventually placed my order with originally said he would not be able to match the out of state prices although in the end he did $12,035.00 out the door He started at MSRP.

JS

paiman :lol:

dcarver lives in Ca just above San Luis Obispo the dealer hr's tal;king about is in San Deigo county.

rogerfjrfaster :D

After considerable amount of debating and arguing with wife, I just ordered 06 FJR1300A from Southbay Motorsports. Including 4 years of YES OTD was $13809.

$12271.01 Base price

$1145.49 Tax and Doc Fee

$3.50 Tire Fee

$389 YES for 4 years

----------------------------------------

$13809 OTD

Ted (Owner of the dealer) was one to talk to. He was a very helpful person.

I know CA price is higher than other states, but he gave best price in CA. Damn CA, first it took our guns away, gave us shitty politicians and high taxes.

However, we still have best riding courses. (Just Kidding)

OKRed, I'll trade you some of my extra time for some of your extra money! 
CK, I remember wishing years ago to have this very problem. It's a nice problem, although I do find myself occiasionally longing for those old days, especially when I have to hire someone to do a task that I know I can do better, but don't have the time to devote to it.

I did end up deciding to not pull the trigger on the FJR. No time to sell the VFR. I'll just wait a bit. If I wait long enough, I can just give the viffer to one of my boys...

Has anyone received a confirmation of order? A friend of mine ordered one with a deposit in Nov., but thats all he has, no confirmation # saying he's going to get one or not, except from the dealer saying he will with no ETA cept what we heard here.

Ordered the "A" model in October and got a OTD price in writting. But no confirmation number or other info yet. I did call San Diego and talked with a rep and I am on the PDP and they did give me a claim number when I orderd the bike. I was the first on at my dealer and actually knew more about the new ordering process because of the info I had gained here at the fjr forum. But this waiting is killing me..... :wacko: PM.<><

I have a "AE" ordered as well.

13548 bike and dealer fees, 14666 OTD in Illinois.

This was the best I could do talking to many in-state dealers. Some were OTD 2K+ higher and wouldnt budge.

Think I could have done another 500-600 better on the bike by going out of state but travel expenses would have made it a wash.