Best Rear Seat pack for long trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
I am going on a 8 day ride here in about 2 weeks and I have my side cases and top case full and would like to find a nice rear seat pack that might also give me some back support. I have been looking at the Nelson Riggs GWS-500 but I want to know if there are better options?

I am going on a 8 day ride here in about 2 weeks and I have my side cases and top case full and would like to find a nice rear seat pack that might also give me some back support. I have been looking at the Nelson Riggs GWS-500 but I want to know if there are better options?
You may want to look at luggage locker.com

I have a medium sized rear seat bag that holds various items, but I think a larger size is available. You can order the bag in various finishes as well as a rain cover (my rain cover ran small, had to be done again).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I am going to go with the MotoFizz and order one tonight. I really want to get the large bag but it is 14x14x27 and I am not sure it it is going to fit comfortably with a big guy (6'5" 300 lb). Has anyone tried anything this big on the back of their bike or would you do the medium to be safe which is 12x12x19? I am also going to pick up a Rok straps to hold it down.

I think I am going to go with the MotoFizz and order one tonight. I really want to get the large bag but it is 14x14x27 and I am not sure it it is going to fit comfortably with a big guy (6'5" 300 lb). Has anyone tried anything this big on the back of their bike or would you do the medium to be safe which is 12x12x19? I am also going to pick up a Rok straps to hold it down.
I used the big one for the trip I made to Nova Scotia and found that it was a terrific backrest. It worked for me.

jim

I bought the large Motofizz a couple weeks ago after researching options for a trip in July. I'm 6'2" (my license says so, so it must be true) and over 300. Looks like it will be ok........ YMMV

I'm 6'3"+, 285, and use a large MotoFizz bag mounted on the back of my '05. Unexpanded, it holds all my camping gear - tent, sleeping bag, twin-size inflatable mattress, cookware, food, etc. - with no problems. I used it on a 3-week camping trip to the Yukon last summer. It expands another four inches on each side, if necessary.

All MotoFizz bags come with their own tie-down straps, so there's no need to get separate straps to hold them down. The cinch cord on my rain cover had some minor problems, but otherwise my MotoFizz Large has performed flawlessly. The bike is surprisingly stable with the bag mounted - even on those long, empty stretches of highway in central Nevada...

fjrmotofizz.jpg

Do eithr of you have a top case on WITH the large bag on the back seat behind you? I will have both my top case and large Motofizz behind me. Thanks.

I just put a medium sized Moto Fizz on my '06 and it fits very nicely. At 6'1"/215 my back rests against it when loaded but not when empty. The bag covers all of the back seat but does not intrude onto the factory luggage rack (if you can call that thing a luggage rack). I wrapped the straps under the seat in an X pattern oriented front to rear instead of side to side. The rear straps exit under the seat and around the outside of the grab rail. I can't swing a leg over it though (short inseam at 32"), so I put one foot over the seat and hop on from the high side of the bike. I was hard pressed to fill it up with a full weeks worth of stuff and did not use the expandable sides. Emergency stuff in the left bag, weather gear in the right bag, clothing in the seat bag. Lots of nice straps make for plenty of options. I like this thing!

I have a pacsafe. It has additional places to tie another bag on top when I take all my shoes!! :withstupidsmiley:

With regards to the large Motofizz...

I'm usually riding in the mountains and always try to pick nice roads with curves in them. :D

Do you guys find that the large Motofizz and your gear are stable and whatnot when it comes time to lean the bike over and whatnot? No shifting and whatnot?

I have never had a bag that big before on a bike, especially not an FJR. :D

Thanks!

Mark

Large MotoFizz, no back case. This is the most versatile moto bag I've ever bought.
IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

Very nice backrest also!
That is what I wanted to see. Was it pretty easy to find a place to use the straps that were included to tie everything down when mounted to the seat and was it very secure? It almosts looks like the large Motofizz is only on the seat with the yellow bag fitted to the rear rack. This gives me hope that I should not have a problem trying to fit both together. The only challenge looks like you getting on the bike? It also looks like you have the Skyway hydration system. I just got the Camelbak and I will out it in the rear bad and buy and extender so it will reach me without any drama. Awsome looking setup. Thanks for sharing.

Seal Line Baja 55 liter waterproof bag, $33, in different colors. They are tough. I bungy this to the seat with my tent on the back. I put my sleeping bag, air mattress, and extra clothes in it. The first one lasted at least 10 years before a small hole appeared.

Latest posts